Topic: UFX+ issues with USB 3.0

Hi! I was getting occasional errors (1 error per every 1-10 min or so) in USB diagnosis section in MADIface Series Settings. I've read the manual and searched this forum about USB controller chips, and possible errors related to extension cables.

Desktop computer motherboard (GA-Z270-HD3P) has two USB controllers: ASMedia and integrated (assuming Intel). Fortunately, port configuration is documented in motherboard manual.

No matter whether I connect UFX+ directly to front or back ports of integrated USB controller, or to ASMedia (unsupported according to manual), I'm was still getting errors every now and then.

In fact, using good quality extension cables and/or going through a hub (TP-LINK UH720, RTS5411 chip) seems to make no difference. I have one USB cable which I know is 'bad', and using this cable causes a significant amount of errors. So, I've concluded this probably isn't about cabling.

Everything seems to work fine with HP Probook G5 450 laptop, with or without extension cables and hubs.

Updating desktop computer BIOS/UEFI and drivers, or removing discrete GPU card (nVIDIA) had no effect.

I think I finally got this solved by getting a cheap separate USB PCIe controller card (Delock product 89241, Renesas uPD720202 chip) for desktop computer, and so far no errors in past 3 hours or so. Using extension cables and/or hub seems to make no difference, and everything is working properly.

So, can I assume I've solved this once and for all? Is using a discrete USB controller PCIe card with a supported chipset a definite solution, or at least the best possible one? Or is it more like "the PCIe usb card shouldn't have made any difference, and the problem is somewhere else" type of situation?

Re: UFX+ issues with USB 3.0

The PCIe card indeed does make a difference. The USB architecture of motherboards often enough sucks big time, while PCI and PCIe are not affected. A USB card using these busses then can provide perfect USB performance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: UFX+ issues with USB 3.0

MC wrote:

The PCIe card indeed does make a difference. The USB architecture of motherboards often enough sucks big time, while PCI and PCIe are not affected. A USB card using these busses then can provide perfect USB performance.

All right, thanks! The card sure seems to have solved everything.