1 (edited by jiggy 2021-10-24 18:47:13)

Topic: Bit Test

Hey I was just running bit test with my new RME ADI-2 Pro FS BE. I have it connected via USB to my Mac Mini. I used Quick Time and played the files back at full volume.

When I play the test files, none of the files were passed correctly. I got only these passed with following info:

441_24_adi2pro_bittest 4s -> Showed passed message as 16 bit
441_32_adi2pro_bittest 4s -> The screen flickers saying it passed as 16/24 bit

48_24_adi2pro_bittest 4s -> Showed passed message as 16 bit

96_24_adi2pro_bittest 4s -> Showed passed message as 16 bit
96_32_adi2pro_bittest 4s -> The screen flickers saying it passed as 16/24 bit

192_24_adi2pro_bittest 4s -> Showed passed message as 16 bit
192_32_adi2pro_bittest 4s -> The screen flickers saying it passed as 16/24 bit

Are the results correct of why the unit does not pass the test files correctly?

Edit: ADI-2 State Overview shows that the AES input is 16 bit.  Shouldn't the UFX+ AES output be 24 bit? I also tested using Optical SPIDF and it says the output is 16 bit, too. Strange.

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-10-24 22:25:05)

Re: Bit Test

Comes as a surprise that the 24 and 32 bit files can “pass as 16 bit”.
That shouldn’t be IMO, either fully pass or nothing.

@MC should chime in to explain, please.

Meanwhile, if the message is true, somewhere there is (Quicktime?) a limit to 16 bit.
Try a different player.

KaiS wrote:

Comes as a surprise that the 24 and 32 bit files can “pass as 16 bit”.
That shouldn’t be IMO, either fully pass or nothing.

No, that's the correct behaviour. It shows that the system is at least 16 bit transparent. A better statement than 'no pass'
where you have no clue what's going on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jiggy wrote:

ADI-2 State Overview shows that the AES input is 16 bit.  Shouldn't the UFX+ AES output be 24 bit? I also tested using Optical SPIDF and it says the output is 16 bit, too. Strange.

It will show 24 bit when it receives 24 bit. Do not question the hardware, question the software that you use.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by jiggy 2021-10-25 18:34:24)

MC wrote:
jiggy wrote:

ADI-2 State Overview shows that the AES input is 16 bit.  Shouldn't the UFX+ AES output be 24 bit? I also tested using Optical SPIDF and it says the output is 16 bit, too. Strange.

It will show 24 bit when it receives 24 bit. Do not question the hardware, question the software that you use.

Do you know how I can change UFX+ AES or ADAT output from 16 bit to 24bit in Mac? Currently ADI-2 is reporting that UFX+ and ADI connection is only 16 bits.

Edit: Nevermind. I ran Ableton VST directly to the ADAT output and it automatically detected the input as 24 bit when playing. When the music stops it defaults back to 16 which is normal I guess.

I also was able to ran the bit tests successfully for both USB (44-192khz) and ADAT (44-96khz) using Audirnava. I tried QuickTime, Apple Music and Roon but they all failed to play the files bit perfect.

All works perfectly.