Topic: clicks and pops with Digiface AVB

Hello,

I am using the Digiface AVB and notice intermittent clicks and pops when I stream music over the internet.
I have not had this problem when recording or mixing recordings. It just happens when I listen to music streaming on the internet.
I have downloaded the latest drivers and firmware.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Edgar

Re: clicks and pops with Digiface AVB

Please provide more details about the setup.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel,
In this case I am using the Digiface  AVB connected via USB to a Windows 10 computer. I am not connected to any other switches or AVB devices. When I use the Digiface AVB as a sound card, it sometimes makes pops or clicks when streaming audio on Spotify for example.

Again, I have installed the latest drivers on the machine and the Digiface has the latest firmware. I did restart the machine after the driver and firmware updates.

Thanks

4 (edited by ramses 2021-10-27 20:21:48)

Could you kindly provide some information that are needed for any technical support ..
- which CPU/mainboard do you use?
- which version of Windows 10 exactly? 20H2, 21H1, 21H2 ?
- which RME firmware / driver version exactly ?

Do clicks and pops happen when listening audio through AVB network or also when using the local phones port of Digiface AVB?

What sample rate and ASIO buffer size is in use when clicks happen and what energy profile is in use ?

Do the clicks and pops vanish with higher ASIO buffersizes?

Did you try all USB3 ports of your system (see also manual ch 15.1, would like to know whether the results are different if you take e.g. ports from chipset or maybe any potential 3rd party USB chipset).

Keep the RME driver settings window open during audio playback, do you see CRC transport errors when clicks/pops happen? If yes: whats your USB3 cable length, can you try another cable, do the CRC error go away ?

Is your system connected to LAN or WLAN ? Is there network activity while listening to audio ?

What are the results of LatencyMon? Let it run for approx 10 minutes.
1x without any application / network activity
1x when you run the applications where you get clicks and pops
This tool can show you which drivers cause issues and block CPU cores for too long.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello Everyone,

The solution for me is to simply connect the Digiface AVB to the AVB tool and then use the internal clock of the AVB tool.
Then I have no clicking issues with either the Digiface AVB or the AVB tool.

Please mark this as resolved.

Thanks,
Edgar Crockett

Or in other words: sample rate of audio playback and DF AVB did not match...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME