Topic: RME Fireface 800 FIRMWARE will not update

I have a Mac OS X 10.11.6 and I downloaded the newest drivers okay.  Then I went to update the firmware and dowloaded the Fireface Flash Update Tool.  When I go to run the tool before I click update it says the following:

Revision 1.54

Then I click on the update and it starts erasing... then Programming... then I get this:

I tried over and over again and it won't update.  Restarted the fire face and computer and now it says I need to up date to latest driver 2.77....

I trailer update again same issue.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Greg

Re: RME Fireface 800 FIRMWARE will not update

Update the firmware? Where the latest (last) one is from 2009?

To flash this unit now you will need an older driver, one that most probably doesn't work under 10.11.6.

You can send in that dinosaur for repair, modification and firmware update if you like. That's not for free, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi everybody,

i'm facing the same issue with my fireface 400 connected to my MacBook Pro (Mojave).

Shebasbliss or anybody who have or find a solution ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1y6tfgJQOpHJfuKzp48SYGvFMofA6viyX

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1K_3sxt0UCU_OjAu7fIYYRmCd-2EHhbZW

Find an older Mac or a PC to run the update....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I find it rather disheartening that RME's position on this issue is to send owners of their beloved fireface units out on a wild goose chase in search of another antiquated piece of tech in order to attempt a firmware update. "just keep trying older computers till you get one that does the trick." How absurd. In this day and age of AI assisted programing you wouldn't think it'd be such a big ask to continue to support the brands legacy units with updated code. Do the right thing and keep these trusty dusty's out of a landfill.

Please develop and release a driver compatible with the latest OS.

6 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-10 08:01:20)

jmc245 wrote:

I find it rather disheartening that RME's position on this issue is to send owners of their beloved fireface units out on a wild goose chase in search of another antiquated piece of tech in order to attempt a firmware update. "just keep trying older computers till you get one that does the trick." How absurd. In this day and age of AI assisted programing you wouldn't think it'd be such a big ask to continue to support the brands legacy units with updated code. Do the right thing and keep these trusty dusty's out of a landfill.

Please develop and release a driver compatible with the latest OS.

It’s not about drivers for current macOS versions, but about firmware. And the older computers (or system versions) are only needed to update the fimware, nothing more! The newest firmware versions for FF400 and FF800 are from the year 2012! The flash update tool runs on macOS versions up to 10.13 High Sierra which was introduced in 2017 (it should even work on Mojave from 2018 too, but sadly it’s not the case for some users). So if someone missed it to bring such an unit to the newest state in this time, it’s not really the fault of RME.
With the current firmware and the latest driver (v3.41 from 2021) my F400 runs absolutely well on a M1 Mac mini and macOS 13 Ventura.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

MC wrote:

Update the firmware? Where the latest (last) one is from 2009?

To flash this unit now you will need an older driver, one that most probably doesn't work under 10.11.6.

You can send in that dinosaur for repair, modification and firmware update if you like. That's not for free, though.

What are the costs /procedure associated with a firmware update for older units experiencing the D0000000 failure message?
My FF800 has firmware 1.88. What version of mac OS and RME driver combinations are necessary to facilitate a successful firmware update?

Here's How I finally got the Firmware to update:

Computer/ mac 2.8 GHz Intel /OS10.5.6

Install RME Driver /Fireface_306_x86

That should enable you to update your device firmware to v2.77

Hope this helps, worked for me updating from firmware v1.88

shebasbliss wrote:

I have a Mac OS X 10.11.6 and I downloaded the newest drivers okay.  Then I went to update the firmware and dowloaded the Fireface Flash Update Tool.  When I go to run the tool before I click update it says the following:

Revision 1.54

Then I click on the update and it starts erasing... then Programming... then I get this:

I tried over and over again and it won't update.  Restarted the fire face and computer and now it says I need to up date to latest driver 2.77....

I trailer update again same issue.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Greg