Topic: Remote control functions stop, pause, play, next track, previous track

Hello. Can you add the ability to control playback from the remote when connected to a Mac or PC via USB? Many devices can do this. I mean the functions stop, pause, play, next track, previous track.

Re: Remote control functions stop, pause, play, next track, previous track

Sounds to me as if this is only possible for a remote of a device like e.g. a CD-Player or Streamer which has such a playback function for content like CD-player or streamer.

The ADI-2 DAC/Pro is only a DAC without any own media or own storage or access to network storage with audio content.
How shall this work ? How should such a command trigger the application through USB ?

I personally do not know any such standard .. you ? Do you have a URL or a concrete example ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

wedding.pixel_0w wrote:

Hello. Can you add the ability to control playback from the remote when connected to a Mac or PC via USB? Many devices can do this. I mean the functions stop, pause, play, next track, previous track.

Mac, use Siri ....
PC, ask Bill Gates ....

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

wedding.pixel_0w wrote:

If you use a software player, most have applications for Android and iOS - smartphone control.

ramses wrote:

Sounds to me as if this is only possible for a remote of a device like e.g. a CD-Player or Streamer which has such a playback function for content like CD-player or streamer.

The ADI-2 DAC/Pro is only a DAC without any own media or own storage or access to network storage with audio content.
How shall this work ? How should such a command trigger the application through USB ?

I personally do not know any such standard .. you ? Do you have a URL or a concrete example ?

I have another USB DAC/headphone amp – McIntosh MHA100. Everything works when connected via the USB to Mac Mini. Player –  Apple Music/iTunes or Audirvana. I also owned an Topping D90, which also controlled the playback via USB

The MHA100 remote doesn't transmit commands to the Mac Mini. When the MHA100 is turned off, the tracks in the player do not switch by remote

jr.radnev wrote:
wedding.pixel_0w wrote:

If you use a software player, most have applications for Android and iOS - smartphone control.

That's what I do. This is very inconvenient. You need to unlock the iPhone and launch the application, only then you can switch the track or pause it. The hardware remote is much more convenient.

https://i1.wp.com/www.alphr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/dsc_4198-scaled.jpg?ssl=1

If I connect my PC to my Hegel's internal DAC with USB, I can control basic media player functions like play, pause, skip etc. from the Hegels remote control. Just like any other gaming keyboard or whatever. This works with windows sound drivers, maybe there is a hitch to combine it with ASIO drivers? It would be a really nice function to have.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

8 (edited by ramses 2021-11-03 16:03:30)

wedding.pixel_0w wrote:
ramses wrote:

I have another USB DAC/headphone amp – McIntosh MHA100. Everything works when connected via the USB to Mac Mini. Player –  Apple Music/iTunes or Audirvana. I also owned an Topping D90, which also controlled the playback via USB

The MHA100 remote doesn't transmit commands to the Mac Mini. When the MHA100 is turned off, the tracks in the player do not switch by remote

Hmm, strange, when looking at the remote of this Topping D90 (picture from Amazon), then I do not see any knob for such a function:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61KUksPQLhL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

wedding.pixel_0w wrote:
jr.radnev wrote:
wedding.pixel_0w wrote:

That's what I do. This is very inconvenient. You need to unlock the iPhone and launch the application, only then you can switch the track or pause it. The hardware remote is much more convenient.

https://i1.wp.com/www.alphr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/dsc_4198-scaled.jpg?ssl=1

You installed the McIntosh USB Audio Windows Driver A v2.0, right?

ramses wrote:
wedding.pixel_0w wrote:
ramses wrote:

Hmm, strange, when looking at the remote of this Topping D90 (picture from Amazon), then I do not see any knob for such a function:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61KUksPQLhL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Stealth ......  tongue

Happy_amateur wrote:

If I connect my PC to my Hegel's internal DAC with USB, I can control basic media player functions like play, pause, skip etc. from the Hegels remote control. Just like any other gaming keyboard or whatever. This works with windows sound drivers, maybe there is a hitch to combine it with ASIO drivers? It would be a really nice function to have.

Exactly. I also owned Hegel H160 with same functions

12 (edited by wedding.pixel_0w 2021-11-03 20:44:39)

Johannes AU wrote:

You installed the McIntosh USB Audio Windows Driver A v2.0, right?

No. Mac OS don't requires any driver
And this features works onle via USB. When MHA100 connect via optical, coax or aes inputs, the remote can't control track switching and play/pause

13 (edited by wedding.pixel_0w 2021-11-03 20:50:46)

Johannes AU wrote:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/remote … b-dac/3662

I had assumed that you were already using IOKit/HID Manager to a degree as the play/pause USB Consumer Usage 0xCD element is already being captured by Roon - i.e. pressing play/pause on DAC remote controls causes roon to play/pause. But it’s quite possible that OS X simply traps this input and forwards it as a “spacebar” type UI event that plays/pauses almost all apps, as you suggested. This is why pressing space bar seems to universally play/pause almost any application? I wonder if OS X is likewise forwarding next/previous track as UI events as well?

All that said, the more robust solution is to directly use IOKit to catch these events. I think you just create queues to get notification of HID element value changes from the specified class of device (consumer class?) via HID manager, and associated callbacks. These are the 3 most common and important USB HID elements that DAC remotes seem to support, at least from the DACs I have owned:

0xB5 - Scan next track
0xB6 - Scan previous track
0xCD - Play/Pause

See http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/Hut1_12v2.pdf 42, section 15 for more info. The benefit of this is that roon core server could also catch these events and control output to the given USB device.

If it’s not obvious, this is extremely useful for all of us who use USB DACS(with or without amp) for quick playback control, including volume when force max volume/disable volume is set. For example, my DAC remote allows me to control volume (of my integrated amp), play/pause, next/previous track. Once I have a playlist set up in iTunes, Audirvana, etc all I need to control things is the DAC remote. If Roon could do this too then one doesn’t need to use the Roon app/remote to control playback once started.

wedding.pixel_0w wrote:

See http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/Hut1_12v2.pdf 42, section 15 for more info. The benefit of this is that roon core server could also catch these events and control output to the given USB device.

Correct link – https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files … 1_12v2.pdf