Topic: Almost 3 Years!

Hi All!

Allow me to Close the Complaint Department for a moment, and make the statement that my Venerable, Vintage ADI-2 DAC has been a Platinum Certified Rock Star now for what approaches Three (3) years in my Home.

So many have been the enjoyable hours of listening!

My Vintage Remote battery tanked after 2.5yrs (!) but that should be expected.  So?  My Wife bought me the Ten-Pack of CR2025s.  Cool!  No Battery issues for me until 2045 or so.  smile

In short, what a Wonderful Device that has brought about so many enjoyable listening sessions.   With Christmas approaching?  You must know that "All is Calm" , and my RME is indeed performing up to Spec!

Call me a Happy RME user.

Best to All,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Re: Almost 3 Years!

On no .... the Complaint Department closed, it is good :-)

Happy RME user Curt, your RME kid must be very active everyday, mine is about 4 months old and still need diapers ..... tongue

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

3 (edited by ramses 2021-11-19 17:11:56)

No Curt, impossible to run one device for three years ... wink You should at least jump over your shadow and get a blue cable additionally to make the colours of the rainbow more complete to be able to enjoy at least psychodelic acoustic effects wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Curt962 2021-11-19 17:06:19)

Hi Johannes, and Ramses!

Indeed, I have been a bit concerned about Inverse Phase Detractance which results from inappropriate Cable Colors...but, it is also well documented that the Human Ear does tend to prefer a bit of Detractance!

I think I'm OK!  smile

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Johannes, and Ramses!

Indeed, I have been a bit concerned about Inverse Phase Detractance which results from inappropriate Cable Colors...it is well documented that the Human Ear does tend to prefer a bit of Detractance!

I think I'm OK!  smile

Curt

I feed my cute baby girl with a USB cable from time to time, and she cries out loud and clear, makes the whole family smiles smile

Johannes,

Have you given your USB Cable adequate warm-up?

(I actually read this recently in a BS Audio Review)  wink

7 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-11-19 17:10:59)

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

Have you given your USB Cable adequate warm-up?

(I actually read this recently in a BS Audio Review)  wink

My baby prefers milk in room temperature tongue
At the moment I am typing she cries out Eagles' New kid in town.

8 (edited by Curt962 2021-11-19 17:17:16)

Johannes,

You'll need to Spin that Track a few times to let it Burn In on your system.

Else, "New Kid in Town" is an awesome track, and I love the subdued, but enjoyable Bass Line.

If you're a Fan of Vocals.. "Seven Bridges Road" is a Masterpiece!

Let everything Warm Up...you know... wink

Curt

9 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-11-19 17:19:01)

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

You'll need to Spin that Track a few times to let it Burn In on your system.

Else, "New Kid in Town" is an awesome track, and I love the subdued, but enjoyable Bass Line.

If you're a Fan of Vocals.. "Seven Bridges Road" is a Masterpiece!

Let everything Warm Up...you know...;)

Curt

Got it, my friend !
(it is the next track, she is crying the Eagles Live 1980)

10 (edited by ramses 2021-11-19 17:25:05)

Curt, especially for black cables ...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/cable-direction-jpg.27076/

And take care of the proper signal direction (see arrows in the picture).
When audio swims against the current, there is too much friction wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Curt, especially for black cables ...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/cable-direction-jpg.27076/

And take care of the proper signal direction.

Oh .... rubber tires? directional .....?

I would add few lines to the Attention paper:

So you live from day to day.
And you dream about tomorrow,
oh · And the minutes go by like hours.
And the shadows come to stay

Wasted Time (Eagles)

tongue

13 (edited by Curt962 2021-11-19 17:39:40)

Gutta Percha Dielectric?  175hrs of Break In is hardly enough!  I'm Old, and Born under a September Moon much like Johannes.  Neither of us are so easily fooled.

Gutta Percha can require no less than 390-420 hrs of settling in to reach it's full potential. wink

(I hope no one actually believes this BS)

I do this for Comic Relief.  To bring back some of the many Fun exchanges that this Forum is famous for. smile

@MC.  Please let us have our "Moment" here.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Gutta Percha Dielectric?  175hrs of Break In is hardly enough!  I'm Old, and Born under a September Moon much like Johannes.  Neither of us are so easily fooled.

Gutta Percha can require no less than 390-420 hrs of settling in to reach it's full potential. wink

(I hope no one actually believes this BS)

I do this for Comic Relief.  To bring back some of the many Fun exchanges that this Forum is famous for. smile

@MC.  Please let us have our "Moment" here.

Curt

Some break in their speakers by covering it with a thick blanket for a week paying electric bill for nothing ....

Guess MC is happy with our "Moment" here smile

Johannes,

It will really depend on the Blanket. I typically ask my Wife to look for "Audio Grade" Bedding.   Treble Air, Bloom, Bass Tonality, Pace, Rhythm, Timing, etc are all heavily influenced by one's choice of Blanket!

Take this Serious!! smile

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

It will really depend on the Blanket. I typically ask my Wife to look for "Audio Grade" Bedding.   Treble Air, Bloom, Bass Tonality, Pace, Rhythm, Timing, etc are all heavily influenced by one's choice of Blanket!

Take this Serious!! smile

OK, I WILL remind them, pay attention to every detail including material and pitch of the stitches ...... haha

I got my new pair of Dali Oberon 1 few weeks ago, Dali said best to let the speaker break in for 100 hours to let all moving parts loosen, OK, I let baby girl RME and her brother Yamaha plays with it and make a lot of noise, some nice sounding noise smile They all behaves well and not breaking a thing in the house tongue

17 (edited by Curt962 2021-11-19 18:50:46)

Johannes,

I think you "get it", and are destined to be a very satisfied RME user such as myself.   I choose to focus upon the multitudes of exceptional qualities,and functionalities of the device in my use case, and prefer to stand back a bit on the What if's, and Maybes
of daily usage.

I say?

Enjoy!!!

(Copyright:  Curt)

PS: @ Johannes!

I have a couple Holiday tracks that will test your new Dalis!   Air? Clarity? Dynamics?   So enjoyable!

Silly boys. You don't have to burn the cables in if you get them cryogenically treated first!

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

I think you "get it", and are destined to be a very satisfied RME user such as myself.   I choose to focus upon the multitudes of exceptional qualities,and functionalities of the device in my use case, and prefer to stand back a bit on the What if's, and Maybes
of daily usage.

I say?

Enjoy!!!

(Copyright:  Curt)

PS: @ Johannes!

I have a couple Holiday tracks that will test your new Dalis!   Air? Clarity? Dynamics?   So enjoyable!

Yes Curt, the Dalis are so nice, so musical, so airy, so clean and so dynamic, I enjoy it very much !
My first Dalis is the Spektor 1, a small beast but a bit difficult to drive and lack of bass due its physical size (though I have a Yamaha Sub), Oberon 1 drain less from the amp and reacts even faster, fill the room with nice sound at half of the amp output, thus more reserve for orchestra type music.

04gto wrote:

Silly boys. You don't have to burn the cables in if you get them cryogenically treated first!

Nordic music fan can enjoy more from it smile

Who knew the Forum had so many Jesters?  smile

Cryo?   Na.  I always found it to sound "Brittle, and Cold"    I use a Quasi-Cryo technique.  I invite the Grandchildren over, and put Disney's "Frozen" Soundtrack on Repeat.  I then get the Warm, Mellifluous Sound of a real Analog Break in.   Perfect!

That said, and all joking aside, I do find it worthwhile to commend RME in a Public Forum for what has been a Superb Unit for my use case.  I don't think about DACs anymore.  I simply turn my RME on! 

To summarize, it becomes very easy today to forget everything that is right, and good, and allow those unfortunate difficulties occasionally experienced by some to overshadow the great satisfaction experienced by a far larger majority of users. 

Somebody had to Speak Up!

My $0.02.

Enjoy!!

Curt

04gto wrote:

Yes, it’s stupid to burn the cables after having paid so much smile

KaiS wrote:
04gto wrote:

Yes, it’s stupid to burn the cables after having paid so much smile

lol

24 (edited by crazybaby 2021-11-21 19:44:31)

Happy owner since September 2018.  I work from home and listen to music most of the day in the background, or I'll mute it if I am in a meeting, but it is typically on most of the day.  Based on the number of songs played that I have tracked over the last 3 years, I'm sure the device has been used over 40 hours each week on average.  No problems with the unit and I would enthusiastically purchase it again.

Brand reputation, trusted measurements, formfactor, and the plethora of practical features gained my interest.  My expectations were extremely high; yet, the unit overachieved in this aspect.

I did purchase the new remote control, and it is great and recommended, even though I really don't use it too frequently.  It is a significant improvement in quality over the older version as well as being feature-rich.  I also have a few spare packs of lithium CR-2025 batteries, as I also use these for my VW GTI key fobs, and I replace these every year on a schedule like I do with a smoke alarm battery.

The only thing I would personally love to see in the future is a more robust PEQ that could be more seamlessly integrated with room correction software to make it easier to set with results from something like Room EQ Wizard (REW).

Enjoy the music!

Edit:  Forgot to mention the joy and benefit of having one of the best product manuals in any industry.  Quite simply, outstanding.

crazybaby wrote:

Forgot to mention the joy and benefit of having one of the best product manuals in any industry.  Quite simply, outstanding.

This 100% is the first device manual that I have ever enjoyed. I sold my V1 model and purchased a V2 (AKM 4493) model. The V2 was 'open box' so no manual mad. So last week I contacted Jeff Petersen @Synthax and he sent a replacement out real quick (manual was free, but I paid for shipping). I know you can easily get the manual online, but it just is not the same as having the hard copy. It is not so much a manual as it is an excellent reference guide.

04gto wrote:
crazybaby wrote:

Forgot to mention the joy and benefit of having one of the best product manuals in any industry.  Quite simply, outstanding.

This 100% is the first device manual that I have ever enjoyed. I sold my V1 model and purchased a V2 (AKM 4493) model. The V2 was 'open box' so no manual mad. So last week I contacted Jeff Petersen @Synthax and he sent a replacement out real quick (manual was free, but I paid for shipping). I know you can easily get the manual online, but it just is not the same as having the hard copy. It is not so much a manual as it is an excellent reference guide.

Yes! I read the pdf manual before the unit arrives, and read the 'book' manual when I got the DAC, really enjoy the traditional reading style ....

Enjoy the music and the printed/pdf manual :-)