Re: Thinking about buying this impressive dac ADI-2 DAC FS

MC wrote:

'Travel': He means 'on a long deserved holiday'. Something these days has become really special (jealous me).

Matthias, you deserve a holiday too smile

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Johannes AU wrote:
MC wrote:

'Travel': He means 'on a long deserved holiday'. Something these days has become really special (jealous me).

I’ve always had tremendous respect for Matthias Carstens since meeting him, at a Professional Recording Exhibition, many years ago.

Very few people impress me, but he did, I really liked him.

Since then, I note that he has remarkably developed his abilities.

Now, very powerfully endowed, with tremendous, superhuman powers.

Able to exist, in two entirely different locations on planet earth, simultaneously.

Germany/Thailand

However.

This, is something of a two-edged sword.

For it would put a strain on anyone to be able to accomplish this feat.

Never the less, if someone deserving of a holiday, were able to arrange that, during a global lockdown.

It would most assuredly be such a person, blessed with the unique ability, to be present in multiple locations, at one and same time.

103 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-19 13:08:12)

Hi Crispy!

"Omnipresence" is the term which immediately comes to mind wink

MC does perform a remarkable feat in so being.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

CrispyChips wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:
MC wrote:

I’ve always had tremendous respect for Matthias Carstens since meeting him, at a Professional Recording Exhibition, many years ago.

Very few people impress me, but he did, I really liked him.

Since then, I note that he has remarkably developed his abilities.

Now, very powerfully endowed, with tremendous, superhuman powers.

Able to exist, in two entirely different locations on planet earth, simultaneously.

Germany/Thailand

However.

This, is something of a two-edged sword.

For it would put a strain on anyone to be able to accomplish this feat.

Never the less, if someone deserving of a holiday, were able to arrange that, during a global lockdown.

It would most assuredly be such a person, blessed with the unique ability, to be present in multiple locations, at one and same time.

Totally agree. smile

105 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-23 16:04:05)

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes, et al

I'm going to forward this information to Engineering at WDAV.ORG in an effort to improve upon this otherwise fine resource. 

Sorry I didn't see the latest postings a bit sooner.

Curt

@Johannes, MC, et al

I have been in communication with the Radio Station Management to express the concerns stated here.   From past discussions with them, I know that this Station/Sender values it's Listeners greatly.

Without a lengthy explanation of the issues explained to me, I have been given the upmost confidence that improvements are soon forthcoming.

In the end?  The RME User Group will have assisted in performing a Great Community Service to a Global Listening Audience.  This speaks highly of not only RME, but those who make up it's user base.  We DO care about things beyond our ourselves.

Tune In!   I'm doing so, and really enjoying the most Vast Holiday playlist imagineable. smile

www.wdav.org

Happy Listening to all!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Johannes, et al

I'm going to forward this information to Engineering at WDAV.ORG in an effort to improve upon this otherwise fine resource. 

Curt

@Johannes, MC, et al

I have been in communication with the Radio Station Management to express the concerns stated here.   From past discussions with them, I know that this Station/Sender values it's Listeners greatly.

Without a lengthy explanation of the issues explained to me, I have been given the upmost confidence that improvements are soon forthcoming.

In the end?  The RME User Group will have assisted in performing a Great Community Service to a Global Listening Audience.  This speaks highly of not only RME, but those who make up it's user base.  We DO care about things beyond our ourselves.

Tune In!   I'm doing so, and really enjoying the most Vast Holiday playlist imagineable. smile

www.wdav.org

Happy Listening to all!

Curt

Thank you Curt for the follow-up smile

MC will became Santa with the hat on, looks like the new FW will be out soon.

107 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-23 17:19:14)

This is Matthias Revealed!.  Live Photo!

https://i.ibb.co/8s2kpTP/20211223-111307.jpg

Curt962 wrote:

This is Matthias Revealed!.  Live Photo!

https://i.ibb.co/8s2kpTP/20211223-111307.jpg

I saw this one smile

https://forum.rme-audio.de/img/avatars/3.jpg

109 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-24 16:53:28)

Curt962 wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Johannes, et al

Curt

@Johannes, MC, et al

www.wdav.org

Happy Listening to all!

Curt

Update: FW 66/47 works fine ... it still detects digital DC while EQ off, not only from Internet radio, but music streaming (CD album from Apple Music) as well, the new function "OFF" prevents it cut the audio and made clicks at the relay but shows a warning screen, it is good!

Just updated the firmware om my RME Dac. I use Linux to play do i had to use an old laptop with W10, install the interface and driver.

111 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-31 15:03:15)

It would be interesting whether the update procedure (Madiface driver, FUT) also works within a virtual machine on Linux. It would be possible to use a Microsoft Windows VM test image without actual separate hardware or license.

bejoro wrote:

It would be interesting whether the update procedure (Madiface driver, FUT) also works within a virtual machine on Linux. It would be possible to use a Microsoft Windows VM test image without actual separate hardware or license.

I doubt it, as the FUT requires the RME driver.

A VM will use a virtual driver that doesn't directly interface with the hardware, just the host OS.

You can pass through a physical device to the VM. It should work.
Worked for me with several other USB devices, even with the GPU.
I have used VMware Workstation for many years, but it should also work with VirtualBox.

114 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-02 05:44:34)

MC wrote:

DCP (Digital DC Protection) was not changed from 43 to 45. 41 did not have that feature (obviously).

I checked www.wdav.org, they indeed don't care about DC. Some classical recordings have a lot rumble down there, and the multiband compressor used on wdav.org seems to make that worse.

That said I had no DCP alarm in the last hour. But the Analyzer in DIGICheck or on the unit's display shows the issue is at the source.

There is a simple way to fix that, though. Use this DC filter (DC removed 100%) without causing audible issues.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dc_filter.png

Of course it would be better for wdav.org to understand what they send out in the first place.

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

More explained at the manual version 2.9,  page 68 and 69.

115 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-03 23:54:56)

Johannes, et al...

I Wish not to use our favorite Classical Music source as a problematic sender, but rather one who LISTENS to the user, and takes the steps necessary to improve the product following a very significant "crash" of their system, and correct the difficulties that resulted for some users.  I know the Manager of that Station as a very Truthful Man, and when he told me improvements were forthcoming, I knew they would.   

The finest works. The finest recordings.    They sometimes make me wonder why I have my own Music collection, as theirs is so good!

I've had them blasting all day, and have enjoyed every note.  They're fixing things!

Tune in!

www.wdav.org

*Without the Fine Arts, and our appreciation of same...what good is our HiFi?

Curt

116 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 05:22:51)

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes, et al...

I Wish not to use our favorite Classical Music source as a problematic sender, but rather one who LISTENS to the user, and takes the steps necessary to improve the product following a very significant "crash" of their system, and correct the difficulties that resulted for some users.  I know the Manager of that Station as a very Truthful Man, and when he told me improvements were forthcoming, I knew they would.   

The finest works. The finest recordings.    They sometimes make me wonder why I have my own Music collection, as theirs is so good!

I've had them blasting all day, and have enjoyed every note.  They're fixing things!

Tune in!

www.wdav.org

*Without the Fine Arts, and our appreciation of same...what good is our HiFi?

Curt

Curt, not classical music source, but other as well, MC did put some examples at the manual.

Enjoy the music, if worse case comes, Digital DCP is your guard.

I still love to listen and enjoy  http://www.wdav.org/

Johannes,

Awesome!!   Crank it up!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

Awesome!!   Crank it up!

Curt

Yes, though not everytime, now I stream it with my iPhone to a pair of small active speakers, set a timer at the iPhone to stop in 2 hours, go to bed and enjoy low volume music, 2 hours later, iPhone stops and active speakers shut down in 20 mins, RME DAC goes to standby in 30 mins .... PERFECT!

Johannes,

I think it's time to direct you toward a Raspberry Pi to handle all of your streaming needs. Local, or Online.   Pi does it all remarkably inexpensively, is bit-perfect at all sample rates/bit depths, and can be operational in less time than it takes to make a few posts here in the forum. No cable swaps, etc.  It gets connected once, and stays that way. 

As an old "Squeezebox" addict, I attest loudly that the Pi is incredible!!   My RME agrees!!

Curt

120 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-05 06:02:28)

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

I think it's time to direct you toward a Raspberry Pi to handle all of your streaming needs. Local, or Online.   Pi does it all remarkably inexpensively, is bit-perfect at all sample rates/bit depths, and can be operational in less time than it takes to make a few posts here in the forum. No cable swaps, etc.  It gets connected once, and stays that way. 

As an old "Squeezebox" addict, I attest loudly that the Pi is incredible!!   My RME agrees!!

Curt

Curt, thank you so much for the direction, however ....

I heard/read/saw many successful stories of Pi, but I am not an electronic kind, so if my old iPhone works fine to fullfill my need, I am lazy to try such thing, music is first(for my ears) .... I listen to music not watching the screen display of an album, even the beautiful RME screen is auto darked ..... call me nuts ...  tongue

121 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-05 16:36:59)

Ahhh Johannes,

You under-estimate your abilities.   Your high level of enthusiasm, and participation here in the Forum suggests you are capable of more.

A Pi would not Tax your abilities in the least.   For heaven's sake I DID IT!   The same guy that isn't always successful with logging into my email managed to get a Pi up, and Running perfectly over a few cups of coffee!

You'll come around to my way of thinking.  You will!  wink

Best to you Jo

Curt

https://i.ibb.co/cr6rvg7/20220105-103340.jpg

Wouldn't you really want this in your home?  Be Honest...  wink

Curt962 wrote:

Ahhh Johannes,

You under-estimate your abilities.   Your high level of enthusiasm, and participation here in the Forum suggests you are capable of more.

A Pi would not Tax your abilities in the least.   For heaven's sake I DID IT!   The same guy that isn't always successful with logging into my email managed to get a Pi up, and Running perfectly over a few cups of coffee!

You'll come around to my way of thinking.  You will!  wink

Best to you Jo

Curt

https://i.ibb.co/cr6rvg7/20220105-103340.jpg

Wouldn't you really want this in your home?  Be Honest...  wink

Curt my friend, to be absolutely honest, I do not need this at the moment, but who knows about tomorrow? if I need something like this, for sure I will consult you for more details. smile

Enjoy the Music, Enjoy the RME product!

123 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-08 11:00:25)

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

Awesome!!   Crank it up!

Curt

Curt, starting from few days ago, I turn off the high pass filter while listening to WDAV (not at other internet radio, to be safe), looks like they fixed the problem smile

P.S. It triggered .. at Max Steiner: Gone With the Wind, film music (1939)
Westminster Philharmonic Orchestra
at around 04:55AM WDAV time.

124 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-08 15:45:55)

Jo,

It's a work in progress, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

Mind you, the stream has been playing here all day without issue.  No HP filter, and DCP is fully engaged.

I DO still see on the analyzer, and hear some station processing related  LF content at times that could possibly trigger DCP, but I'm having no difficulties as a result.

Be mindful of your EQs in the interim so that they aren't possibly a contributing factor.

Curt

125 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-08 16:14:07)

Curt962 wrote:

Jo,

It's a work in progress, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

Mind you, the stream has been playing here all day without issue.  No HP filter, and DCP is fully engaged.

I DO still see on the analyzer, and hear some station processing related  LF content at times that could possibly trigger DCP, but I'm having no difficulties as a result.

Be mindful of your EQs in the interim so that they aren't possibly a contributing factor.

Curt

Curt, I understand that, it takes time, I just try to see if they fixed it or not, no need to urge them, as you said DCP always on, Hi Pass filter applied only, others remain flat, feel safe.

If I do not want the Hi Pass filter, I will lower the output of the RME.

126 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-08 16:27:30)

They're getting there Jo, and please understand that 'DAV works with a Contract Engineer, and not an in-house tech.   There's a bit of "Latency" involved in the time it takes for a technical concern to be addressed.

It seems to me, that with a bit of adjustment in their Multi-Band Processing, all will be just dandy.

Curt

PS:  Feel free to PM me.   The more data I have, the better equipped I am to discuss our observations/wishes with station management.

Thanks!

Curt

127 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-08 17:30:21)

Curt962 wrote:

They're getting there Jo, and please understand that 'DAV works with a Contract Engineer, and not an in-house tech.   There's a bit of "Latency" involved in the time it takes for a technical concern to be addressed.

It seems to me, that with a bit of adjustment in their Multi-Band Processing, all will be just dandy.

Curt

PS:  Feel free to PM me.   The more data I have, the better equipped I am to discuss our observations/wishes with station management.

Thanks!

Curt

Curt, I am patient for "latency", no problem at all. smile

Well I am glad I started this thread. The decision to buy this Dac was a great one. i have a lot of noise so i am using some tweaks that works for me yet not other people i know. Common Mode noise is what was explained to me. Now using headphones with the high power setting through my Sennheiser HD650 cans with a better cable, i am so pleased with the musicality of my library with is mostly high resolution needle drops, DSD and DXD.

ning wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Sure.. Amazon is a Legitimate Seller.  Also in the US, we have Large, Pro-Gear Retailers like Guitar Center, and Sweetwater.

Don't forget there's B&H Photo Video as well! Amazing service in the US.

Sweetwater as well provides excellent service in USA.

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A