Topic: Create more virtual inputs for Loopback on UFX II

Hello!

Is it possible to create more virtual channels in TotalMix to use for Loopback? As of now, since I'm using 2 Octamic XTC to expand the inputs on the UFX II, the way it is laid out I can only really use the AES channel for loopback, since all other inputs are already taken.

This seems to be a layout issue, since I don't see why (for example) the last ADAT input (ADAT 15/16 in my case) should have anything to do with the ADAT output 15/16 when that channel is used to create a loopback. Is it possible to create even more inputs in Totalmix FX somehow, to create even more inputs in the DAW?

2 (edited by waedi 2021-11-22 20:13:06)

Re: Create more virtual inputs for Loopback on UFX II

You would have to get a Madi interface, the Madiface USB or the Madiface XT, both are available on stock and you will be able to connect the XTCs via optical Madi cable, this let you use the MIDI Remote software to control the XTCs from the computer, and you will have 56 unused loopback channels !

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2021-11-22 20:46:24)

Re: Create more virtual inputs for Loopback on UFX II

Rasmus Faber wrote:

Hello!

Is it possible to create more virtual channels in TotalMix to use for Loopback? As of now, since I'm using 2 Octamic XTC to expand the inputs on the UFX II, the way it is laid out I can only really use the AES channel for loopback, since all other inputs are already taken.

This seems to be a layout issue, since I don't see why (for example) the last ADAT input (ADAT 15/16 in my case) should have anything to do with the ADAT output 15/16 when that channel is used to create a loopback. Is it possible to create even more inputs in Totalmix FX somehow, to create even more inputs in the DAW?

Simply get an UFX+, connect XTCs through MADI and you will have enough channels free for loopback.
One MADI bus supports 64ch and then you would have enough MADI (and ADAT) channels free to create plenty of submixes and record these by using Loopback.

Wonderingh anyway why you choosed the UFX II instead of the UFX+, as the Octamic XTC has already MADI support.
The UFX+ would have the advantage for you to allow connection to the PC through USB3 and Thunderbolt.
Even USB2 but then as 30ch interface without MADI.

Another advantage of MADI .. use OM3 (or OM4) multimode fiber cables, you can have up to 2km between devices.
OM3/4 patch cables are usually up to 50m available. This makes it easier possible to place the XTCs to different locations in one or multiple recording rooms.

Even when recording in double speed you would have still 32 channels left. With the two XTCs you could even record at quad speed up to 192 kHz although this would be a little "overkill" and put much load on your PC.

I used such a setup with UFX+ and 2 XTC, see here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13