Topic: Issues with Sequoia and HDSPe AES32

Hi all,

I'm having an issue that I've never run across. I'm a long time Sequoia user (since v.7) and have recently upgraded CPU to Windows 10 and Sequoia Version 16. I'll list the system specs below.

When I am recording, every so often the audio on the output monitor turns to digital hash (tons of clicks), for 15-30 seconds, then there is no audio output at all to monitor. However, the audio continues to record to the hard drive, and I can play it back later, except for the part that is hash. Of course, this doesn't help since I can't monitor it during the session.

The system has 2 RME HDSPe-AES cards. It happens on both cards, whether clocking to wordclock or AES. It happens no matter the channel count. It happens no matter the hard drive I record to (including the C drive for testing purposes.) It happens with different A/D converters. I've watched the RME clocking page and no issues there with losing clock.

The "hash" is episodic....it happens about every 1 hour and 5 minutes, almost exactly, and runs for 15 seconds. Something seems to be broken between RME and the Sequoia audio engine?

It DOES NOT happen in Reaper.

Computer tech support has been great, but we're wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this. Any ideas?

Here are the system specs:

Windows 10 pro

11Gen i&-11700K 3.6GHZ @

ASUS Motherboard

32GB RAM

2 RME HDSPe-AES audio cards

Sequoia V16

Thanks!

Alan

Re: Issues with Sequoia and HDSPe AES32

Have you contacted Magix? Does this also happen with earlier versions of Sequoia?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi-  apologies, I have been working on this with Magix.  They have not been able to reproduce the problem.  They suggest I be back in touch with you. 

The problem remains, and they suggest that it the the audio cards and software are losing sync somehow.  In a private message, I could send you my long discussion with them.

Also,  it happens with version 15 of Sequoia as well.  I'm jumping from version 12 (Windows 7) to version 16 (Windows 10).   I did test Sequoia 15 through this process, and same result.

According to your description a background task disturbs the audio processing every 65 minutes for 15 seconds. Isn't the obvious remedy then to perform a thorough research on your (new) computer what task that is - and then to disable it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I understand your point. How would one determine which background task is running when?  My expertise certainly isn't computers...

However, since my original post, the situation has evolved.  The timing of the hash has become much more random and is more frequent as channel count goes up-  the intervals are not predictable. 

It also happens during playback/editing from time to time.  Occasionally, when I initiate playback with spacebar, the audio will be hash.  In Sequoia, toggling the Audio Engine mode one position, then returning to its original position cures the problem for another period of time. 

Magix can't figure it out and asked me to check in with RME to see if you have any ideas.

Things like these are hard to track down, need tools and experience and time. Plus physical access to the computer. We can't do that. It sometimes ends in the customer buying a new computer from a dedicated DAW PC maker as it is the easier fix.

You might also try to remove one HDSPe AES to see if the computer can cope better with just one card.

Are you really sure Reaper doesn't show this effect? I mean it needs some serious time working on the machine to show up...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, it's been very difficult.  I have been working on it with the computer builder and Magix since July.  It was purchased from a very reputable DAW PC company.  I have purchased at least 10 systems from them over the past 12 years or so-  all have been rock solid.  They are completely stumped-  we've gone through lots of BIOS settings and Windows tweaks.

One of those [previous purchases was a 2 card RME System, the exact same as this, except Windows 7 and Sequoia Version 12.  A completely solid system until the motherboard died, necessitating the most recent purchase.  I would hate to think that in 2014 I had no problem with a 2 card system, and computer can't handle that today. That old system recorded many 32 channel 96KHz sessions and concerts, and never once had an issue until the end.

When I run a recording test after some sort of setting change, I usually set the computer to record for several hours, sometimes as many as 12.  The hash usually shows up in the first hour or two, then repeats.  I only ran one 12 hour Reaper test, and no hash.  With Sequoia, the issue has happened every single test (dozens.) 

At this point, I have $5K in this system that isn't working (and two others purchased for an institutional client).  I'll send it anywhere!

Sequoia v16 and v13 run fine on my AMD Ryzen 5 5600x and older Intel i7 4700k.

I had a long percussion session yesterday without any troubles.
I don't record 32 channels at a time, usually 10 to 16 at most.

Try sliding the audio engine slider to the left while recording. To track fx monitoring or software monitoring. Hybrid engine is more stressful to the computer, especially at 96k. Try increasing the object buffer.

Run LatencyMon for a few hours. Maybe it will show something?

Be sure ultimate/high power plan is active. Disable network adapters if possible while recording.
Nvidia graphics could be a problem for some.
I could keep going.........

List your specific computer components. It may be more helpful in troubleshooting.

Good luck!

AlanCLE wrote:

Yes, it's been very difficult.  I have been working on it with the computer builder and Magix since July.  It was purchased from a very reputable DAW PC company.  I have purchased at least 10 systems from them over the past 12 years or so-  all have been rock solid.  They are completely stumped-  we've gone through lots of BIOS settings and Windows tweaks.

One of those [previous purchases was a 2 card RME System, the exact same as this, except Windows 7 and Sequoia Version 12.  A completely solid system until the motherboard died, necessitating the most recent purchase.  I would hate to think that in 2014 I had no problem with a 2 card system, and computer can't handle that today. That old system recorded many 32 channel 96KHz sessions and concerts, and never once had an issue until the end.

When I run a recording test after some sort of setting change, I usually set the computer to record for several hours, sometimes as many as 12.  The hash usually shows up in the first hour or two, then repeats.  I only ran one 12 hour Reaper test, and no hash.  With Sequoia, the issue has happened every single test (dozens.) 

At this point, I have $5K in this system that isn't working (and two others purchased for an institutional client).  I'll send it anywhere!

These information should have been in your first post already. As the following:

Are these brand new HDSPe AES, revision 2? If so are they on the current firmware version 204? Driver 4.38?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, I could write pages of information about months of testing.  It's hard for me to know what is relevant, thank you for your patience.

We have tried both driver sets, the current 4.38, and also tried the previous version which is listed on the RME download site. 

I'm not sure how to check the firmware version? 

I'm also not sure how to verify whether the cards are version 2.  They were brand new in June 2021.

TonyS wrote:

Sequoia v16 and v13 run fine on my AMD Ryzen 5 5600x and older Intel i7 4700k.

I had a long percussion session yesterday without any troubles.
I don't record 32 channels at a time, usually 10 to 16 at most.

Try sliding the audio engine slider to the left while recording. To track fx monitoring or software monitoring. Hybrid engine is more stressful to the computer, especially at 96k. Try increasing the object buffer.

Run LatencyMon for a few hours. Maybe it will show something?

Be sure ultimate/high power plan is active. Disable network adapters if possible while recording.
Nvidia graphics could be a problem for some.
I could keep going.........

List your specific computer components. It may be more helpful in troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Thanks, Tony.   I should say I only do 32 channels 2-3 times a year.  The rest are usually 8.  This problem is occurring with just one AES input recording. 

High power is active.  Onboard graphics (not Nvidia.)  I could adjust the audio engine slider and run that test, as well as disable network and see what happens.

AlanCLE wrote:

I'm not sure how to check the firmware version?

Download the firmware update tool and run it...

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_wdm_dspe.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME