Topic: Are there any driver issues with using a UCX II and a DAC-2 together?

I have a DAC-2 right now but I'm thinking about picking up a UCX II and expanding my setup back to surround sound. My plan is to keep the DAC-2 for headphones. Now I know I can just hook it up to the UCX II with S/PDIF or ADAT and use it that way, but it would probably be more convenient to run it on USB since I like to use headphone virtualization software with it. That way I can switch things to use the UCX 2 when I want speakers, the DAC-2 when I want headphones.

The only thing that gives me pause is I notice the drivers are different. The DAC-2 shares drivers with the UFX II and UFX+ but the UCX II is on a different set of drivers.

Anyone try this? Any issues or are they happy at the same time?

Re: Are there any driver issues with using a UCX II and a DAC-2 together?

You can change interface in the RME driver tab.

If its ADI-2 DAC your talking about. A question: Wouldnt it be the same if u run your software with UCXII as interface and ADI-2 DAC downstream with spdif from UCXII? Save settings as snapshot in TMfx.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

For convenience issues it can boil down to: Do you use the ADI-2 DAC for DSD and hires past 192khz, this breaks the speedlimit for the UCXII and it would be better to have the two interfaces connected to PC with USB changing interface in the driver tab.

If not TotalMix FX is super convenient for changing setups. And I would recomend this. Just set it up the way you want and store as a snapshot.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Hi Sycraft,

I use both an ADI-DAC 2 and the UCX (Version I). I have both plugged into my Mac Mini M1 via USB as well as running a digital connection between the UCX and the DAC.

Everything works fine! There are times when I just use the UCX with over-ear headphones, especially when tracking guitars, doing vocals or playing the midi keyboard. This is all routed through Totalmix of course.

I also integrate the DAC in this set up through routing in Totalmix and the digital out if I want to use my monitors which are hooked up to the DAC. The DAC in this set up is run in standalone mode under OPT on the remote.

If I just want to listen to music then I tend to switch off the UCX and use the DAC in USB mode. Here the DAC drivers show up on the Mac and there is no use for Totalmix. This is handy for just no messing playback with the option of headphones, in-ears or monitors.

Overall I am happy with my set up and find myself using both devices regularly.

Kind regards

Rodney

Rme Ucx + Rme Adi-2 Dac Fs

No I don't need more than 192khz (not even that really) nor DSD. The (possible) reason for separate devices would be mostly for Windows WASAPI/DS apps and is as such:

For speakers, my plan is to expand to a 5.1, or maybe 7.1 setup and hook that in to the UCX II. So if I want to listen to something on the speakers, I'll use the UCX's speaker device.

However, for headphones I also like surround sound, but for that you need software to process it. In my case, I use Redscape. It sets up its own virtual audio 8 channel device in Windows (it can actually do ASIO as well). It then convolves the sound for your headphones, and needs somewhere, either ASIO or WASAPI to send it to. That would be where I would use the ADI-2 DAC as the target Redscape sends to.

Basically there's no reason to want to play the convolved audio from Redscape on speakers, and it wants to take exclusive control of the device if it can, so it makes sense to me for it to have its own device it can talk to. Then I just flip the Windows output to whichever device I want to get speakers or headphones.

I suppose there's no particular reason I couldn't have Redscape send to the ASIO inputs of the UCX II and then it send out to the ADI-2 but that seems like extra steps where routing could become messed up if I'm not careful, and it means I have to shut Redscape down when I'm not using it, as it likes to take exclusive control of the device.

I suppose another option would possibly be to use a virtual audio cable, if such a thing exists for ASIO, and then just send all sound to the UCX II, and loop back a surround output from it to Redscape, then back in but that also seems like extra complexity that isn't needed and I imagine I'd need additional software to make it work.

I'm glad to hear the devices will both work on a system together so I can do it how I'm thinking. I'm open to doing it a different way though if there's a good reason. I just have somewhat of a special use case.

Thanks for all the insight and information.

Happy to help! Sounds like youre on top of it. You should just try different setups to find what suits you best.

Just curious, what surround software/movie player are you planning to use?   About Redscape. Is that head tracking a seamless experience?

For listening to surround music, JRiver. I don't really do any movies on my computer. The main use will be for gaming. Yes, I know that is kind ridiculous, but I love good sound, and there's no reason to have a separate gaming PC and DAW smile.

Redscape is the real deal. The head tracking works very well. Not sure how often it updates, position data but quite a lot as I never notice any lag. It doesn't sound quite as "real" as my actual Genelec 8030 speakers... but the closest I've ever personally heard. Good enough that when I listen to something that doesn't have any super low frequencies that they can't produce, I've had move than a couple moments where I've had to check to make sure I have the DAC set to headphone output not speaker output.

With good headphones (using HD800S personally, with EQ corrections on the DAC-2) and a nice low-latency ASIO setup, I find it to be startlingly real.

Very interresting! Checked the website and a review. Thanks for the tip, maybe a x-mas present for myself big_smile