1 (edited by Lophophora 2021-12-05 09:23:59)

Topic: ADI-2-Pro for mastering

Hi,

I am a mixing & mastering engineer looking to build a new studio 100% dedicated to mastering (all in the box, no analog gear). I am considering the ADI-2 pro unit and I'd like your help answering a few basic questions (or rather confirming what I think the answer is).

- I am currently using a Fireface UFX II, which I love. How much better are the AD/DA converters on the ADI-2 pro? Obviously this is hardly quantifiable but since the converters in my Fireface sound pretty damn good already, I'm wondering if that could be a significant upgrade or if it's not worth it (I plan on keeping the Fireface anyway).

- I love my ARC USB remote, I constantly use it to switch to mono, my second speaker set and other custom actions. The remote on the ADI-2 pro looks rather basic, will it allow me to perform similar actions?

- If my main speakers are connected to AES3 and my secondary set to the standard balanced XLR outputs, can I switch seamlessly from one to the other?

- If my main speakers are connected via AES3, does it mean that volume and other settings have to be adjusted at the speaker directly?

- I often record audio from my Windows 10 computer (streaming platforms, browser) for analysis purposes. I use the loopback feature in TotalMix FX to do this. Does this unit allow that too? Does it come with TotalMix FX?

Thanks to anyone who can help with these questions.

Re: ADI-2-Pro for mastering

In your case I would either leave it as it is, or add the adi2 DAC fs as a DA and keep your current workflow. But if your main speakers are aes the DAC would do nothing for you. Except for your secondary speakers or headphones.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632