Topic: DC removal

Is there a good way to remove DC either in the ADI-2 DAC FS or using Foobar2000? Probably this has been asked before, but the word DC is too short for the search.

I assume this is DC, during silence the view on the dac or in digicheck:

https://imgur.com/a/MyeGi2a

Or is this just some low frequency stuff that I fail to hear?
This is from (some of the first tracks of) the Album J.S.Bach - Matthaus-Passion (conductor. Hermann Max), so a bit surprised about it. It actually disappears later during the album.

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-07 00:22:05)

Re: DC removal

helohe wrote:

Is there a good way to remove DC either in the ADI-2 DAC FS or using Foobar2000?
I assume this is DC, during silence the view on the dac or in digicheck:
... Or is this just some low frequency stuff that I fail to hear?
This is from (some of the first tracks of) the Album J.S.Bach - Matthaus-Passion (conductor. Hermann Max),.

I can clearly hear typical subsonic room noise with my AUDEZE LCD2r2.

Happens quite often with church recordings when certain types of microphones are used, i.e. Bruel&Kjaer 4003.
The source can be outside wind or heating/air condition noise, sometimes even distant traffic (not in this case).


Nothing to worry about:
if you don‘t hear noise you don‘t have a noise problem.


In general:
DC removal is best done on a per track base, with a specialized function in software.
This function analysis the DC content of a whole track and subtracts the DC.

Working, but less ideal is low cut filtering, typically below 2 to 5 Hz.
This affects the audio range and peak level due to phase shift and does not remove the DC in the very first beginning of a track.
Therefore it needs to be done by the producer BEFORE cutting away the empty part in front of a track for the release version.

Re: DC removal

Thanks for the great answer. By the way, I am using the LCD-X. Out of curiosity, what volume have you set the ADI to?

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-07 01:07:16)

Re: DC removal

helohe wrote:

Thanks for the great answer. By the way, I am using the LCD-X. Out of curiosity, what volume have you set the ADI to?

-10 dBr with an 18 dB bass boost.
Listened to the very quiet parts only with these setting, to avoid hurting my ears.

Usually I listen below -30 dBr (Auto Reference Level = On), without a bass boost, or maybe just 3-4 dB, and a bit of upper midrange/ treble EQ to even out AUDEZE’s house sound.

Re: DC removal

KaiS wrote:
helohe wrote:

Thanks for the great answer. By the way, I am using the LCD-X. Out of curiosity, what volume have you set the ADI to?

-10 dBr with an 18 dB bass boost.
Listened to the very quiet parts only with these setting, to avoid hurting my ears.

Usually I listen below -30 dBr (Auto Reference Level = On), without a bass boost, or maybe just 3-4 dB, and a bit of upper midrange/ treble EQ to even out AUDEZE’s house sound.

Ah that explains why I could not hear it. I usually listen with around -43 dBr.