Topic: MacOS Monterey & M1 Macbook Pro - Startup Security Utility - Changes

To help others not waste time in setting up their new m1 macbook pro’s, here is a wonderful blog post on the new finger-gymnastics Apple requires for entering the correct “Startup Options”mode. The mode required to allow the kernel extension access for the RME drives is “Recovery Mode” not the “Fallback Recovery Mode”

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/11/28/sta … r-m1-macs/

Once you enter this the standard RME instructions work as expected.
https://www.rme-audio.com/rme-macos.html

Re: MacOS Monterey & M1 Macbook Pro - Startup Security Utility - Changes

The 'standard RME instructions' are found where they belong - within the readme of the driver archive. They say the same as on the website:

- Boot the M1 computer into Recovery mode (turn it on with the power button pressed until the screen shows the Startup Options are loaded)

I don't think that the 'Fallback Recovery Mode' (Press the Power button twice in rapid succession, and on the second of those presses hold the button...) is a major issue. Instead we have seen people using Terminal without entering the Recovery Mode at all...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Mattias,

The fact that Apple changed the method for entering Recovery Mode on the new machines has caused a number of folks here to waste time - so I thought it would help others to highlight that here in addition to your instructions.

BTW - thanks for leading the audio community with your Monterey M1 support.

MC wrote:

The 'standard RME instructions' are found where they belong - within the readme of the driver archive. They say the same as on the website:

- Boot the M1 computer into Recovery mode (turn it on with the power button pressed until the screen shows the Startup Options are loaded)

I don't think that the 'Fallback Recovery Mode' (Press the Power button twice in rapid succession, and on the second of those presses hold the button...) is a major issue. Instead we have seen people using Terminal without entering the Recovery Mode at all...

My new MacBook Pro 16" doesn't have a power button. But you don't have to know this, because even Apple ignores this little detail... ;-)

Apple 16" MacBook Pro M1Max 10Core 32GB RAM; RME fireface 800; Behringer ADA8200; Line6 Helix)