Topic: Sample rate jumps automatically to 768 kHz using the analog input

Hi guys,

I've got an ADI-2 Pro FS R which I like very much but there is one use case which I do not understand.
Here is the scenario:
I do have my phono pre connected to the analog input of the ADI-2 Pro and I've got an Auralic Aries G1 connected to the USB port and a CD player to the coax input.
So if I just want to listen to vinyl I switch the basic mode of the ADI-2 to AD/DA and select the source "Analog" for the Output 1/2 which is conneted to my amp. The Auralic and the CD player are switched off.

If I do so the sample rate jumps up to 768 kHz with the unwanted effect of turning off my EQ for room correction.
Actually I couldn't find any way to switch the sample rate to 192 kHz or below to activate again the EQ.
The only workaround is to turn on my Auralic or my CD-Player which obviously will set the internal sample rate to e. g. 44.1 kHz.

Is the ADI-2 Pro not smart enough to detect that there is no valid input signal of my Auralic at the USB input while being switched off and setting the sample rate automatically to 192 kHz or lower to preserve the full functionality of the DSP?
Looking forward to your feedback

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

2 (edited by KSTR 2021-12-07 14:31:57)

Re: Sample rate jumps automatically to 768 kHz using the analog input

Options-->Clock-->Clock Source : Auto (will select USB as clock source when USB is active, and COAX when USB is not active and there is a valid COAX signal, otherwise INTernal which is what you want for Phono).
Options-->Clock-->Sample Rate : whatever you want

Or change to Preamp mode and set the sample rate.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your quick feedback unfortunately none of your answers are satisfying.
@KSTR
Your first suggestion is exactly what I wanted to avoid to turn on a digital device to serve as a „clock“ to play vinyl.
If I change the clock to INT in the settings without any digital source I can‘t adjust the clock because it‘s inactive.

@MC
Your solution only works if I disconnect the USB cable of my Auralic. BTW the same is true for the AD/DA mode.

So obviously my concern is valid and the inactive USB prevents me from setting the sample rate to my desired value for the analog input.
Is this the intended behavior of the ADI-2 Pro?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

5 (edited by KSTR 2021-12-07 16:11:34)

I cannot recreate your problem.
Once USB is inactive (either cable disconnected, or connected but "device ejected") then sample rate can be set freely.
When USB is active (no matter what mode) then sample rate is set by the USB driver. This is because regardless of mode you can always access all I/O-channels via USB, see Quick Start section in the manual:
"USB can be manually overridden by selecting a different mode. This will change the I/O routing, but not disable USB itself. All inputs are still available via USB, outputs 3/4 can playback USB."

I didn‘t say that the Auralic is ejected but the streamer is in sleep mode where still some functions are running in the background. However the streamer is not sending music via USB to the ADI-2 but the connection is probably not fully cut off.
My suspicion is that the ADI-2 just believes that it is receiving a signal (noise) and is setting the sample rate to 768 kHz.
Don‘t know if there is a kind of data validation implemented for the USB port.
In any case the sample rate should be never set to the highest value deactivating the DSP.
Maybe MC knows.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

The sample rate is actively set by the Auralic. It's not the only system that defaults to the highest available sample rate, no matter if that makes sense or not. You could limit it to 192 kHz by setting the Pro into Multi-channel mode. Unless that brings up other issues in your application...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just connected my RPi4 and I was able to observe during boot-up also the 768 kHz.
The difference to Auralic is that Volumio plays a tone after it has booted which is obviously sampled at 44,1 kHz.
Even I also did not stream any music the RPI4 and hence the ADI-2 sample rate stayed at that value.

Matthias, wouldn’t that be a nice improvement of the firmware to make the ADI-2 Pro even more robust against imperfect USB sources ;-)
Thanks for your support anyway!

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE