Topic: Issue with OPT sound, COAX is fine

I have the following connections, for my active Dynaudio Xeo 20 speakers.

Music: Lindemann Limetree Bridge --> (connected via SPDIF coaxial) --> RME
TV: Sony smart TV --> (connected via optical input) --> RME

Then for both, RME --> (connected via RCA red and white cables) --> Dynaudio Xeo 20 speakers

My issue: the coaxial works, but the opt doesn't. I can listen to music, but not TV.

Given that both have a common RCA out into the speakers, it tells me that the issue is with the sound chain from my Sony Smart TV (X950H) to the RME. But the TV itself plays fine if I up the volume on TV. I'd like the sound to be sent out via optical cable to the DAC, not be played on Sony's own tinny speakers on the TV. I've tried changing the audio setting on Sony Smart TV to play on TV Speakers, and Audio Out. Neither seems to be producing any sound via RME.

Any help or pointers?

2 (edited by waedi 2021-12-08 01:48:31)

Re: Issue with OPT sound, COAX is fine

Did you try with TV only ?
Disconnect the Lindemann from the DAC and try the TV optical connection only to the DAC.
In the TV you probably have to turn the volume fully down and hope the optical out transmits the signal always on full volume, I think this is the case.
When feeding two digital sources into the DAC, did you tell the DAC wich source to play ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks. The two inputs used to work just fine for a few days. Today I had an electric situation where everything in the home switched off and on. Since then the optical doesn't work, coax works.

Removing coax from Lindemann does nothing. When I switch to OPT (TV), there's still no sound. I've tried increasing the volume entirely. Also, on TV, when I move the TV down to 0, I can't hear anything of course, but when I turn the volume up, I can hear Sony's own speakers. IN the past, even with TV Volume down to 0, you're right, the SPDIF use to get the full volume out from the TV and RME passed it just fine to my speakers.

Switching the DAC off and on again ?

I tried that too.

6 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-08 10:09:00)

Unplug the cable at the RME side, turn the TV on and select optical out (toslink?), do you see red light at the cable tip?

If you can see red light at the cable tip, put it back to RME and see if optical in is detected at RME  "State Overview" screen.

It can be just a broken toslink cable or lose connection, or the TV optical output is kaput.

Edit: I mistype state overview as display overview, Sorry for that...

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Check your TV's setting. The DAC requires the TV to be set to Digital/Optical Out PCM. Default is Dolby or similar. You can check this on the Status Overview screen on the DAC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

One more thing. I you have an old dvd or cd player with optical out. You can check if the DAC is fried with this.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Thanks for all the ideas. I eagerly tried all of them.

1. Optical cable has the red light on the RME side. So it seems the TV is doing its join and sending optical sound. RME is not playing it. Screen on RME:

https://i.imgur.com/Aqrat3r.jpg

2. TV is not on Dolby. It's on PCM, but anyway the sound should be from "TV Speakers". That's the setting. The optical cable in Sony just takes TV's sound and passes it to wherever. This is why until yesterday I was able to lower TV's own sound to 0 volume but still manage the RME volume to my speakers.

TV screenshots:

https://i.imgur.com/yWVmOrJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4VMfu1S.jpg

Is it possible for an optical cable to have the red light on the RME side...and still not be carrying sound? I wonder if the issue is with the TV not sending the signals (no setting changed) or the cable, despite having red light on the RME side, is now kaput?

11 (edited by waedi 2021-12-09 01:14:09)

The currently used SPDIF input can be chosen under Setup – Options – SPDIF / Remap Keys – SPDIF In. Set to Auto the input with a valid input signal will be chosen automatically.

The red light in the cable is usually always on when the device is on.
That don't mean it is transmitting sound.

Thank you Waedi. Not sure what that adds. Tapping the OPT on the remote already toggles between "SPDIF / Optical" and "Auto".

The issue may be with

1. TV not sending sound over optical cable (TV speakers work fine)
2. Optical cable itself is broken despite red light
3. RME input area is toast

To test #3, I attached an old DAC. Optical does not work there either. So it's likely not an RME issue.

Any ideas to iron out TV issues based on the screenshots above? Before I go lifting off the TV (Wall mounted) and try to change the optical cable itself?

13 (edited by waedi 2021-12-09 04:11:39)

The photos from your TV looking ok to me, the optical out of the TV is by default linear PCM 48 kHz (user manual says so),
replacing the optical cable is a good idea.
For testing the RME be sure nothing else is connected, no Lindemann even it's off, the RME and the TV only and the RME on auto input, if the RME don't detect the TV signal then some further tests with other devices should take action.
Sony devices are usually very good, also RMEs, but they can brake of course.

RMENoob wrote:

Is it possible for an optical cable to have the red light on the RME side...and still not be carrying sound? I wonder if the issue is with the TV not sending the signals (no setting changed) or the cable, despite having red light on the RME side, is now kaput?

Possible, if the cable is bent at a small radius, it will distort/noise heard, or nothing can pass through.

Hard to describe brightness of the red light, as you said the TV is wall mounted, make sure the optical cable is running smoothy and not bent too much, unplug it and put it back on at the TV side sometimes will help, I had distortion problem at toslink cable before.

There is no photo from the Status Overview screen which lists the SPDIF input properties.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for bearing with me.

The status overview screen:

https://i.imgur.com/VMa4u0O.jpg

And..

..the lineout main screen..

https://i.imgur.com/VU4g1LC.jpg

I've also removed the optical cable, put it back again on both TV side and RME side. No bends etc.

The State Overview shows that the TV sends PCM, and the DAC is in Sync. Now if the input is set to Optical and there is no audio then most probably the TV indeed does not send any.

Is there a reason the DAC's output is set to Mono?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Nor sure why RME is set to Mono. Where do I change that…can I change that with remote?

I suppose it’s a Sony or cable issue then.

20 (edited by vinark 2021-12-10 09:27:44)

No not cable as the ADI is in sync and that can not happen with a non functioning cable.
Maybe the TV has a full reset option, but you might loose to much settings then.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

21 (edited by RMENoob 2021-12-10 09:46:03)

I changed the line out mono to OFF. Thanks for that. I guess the issue is with TV. Will explore. Thanks.

Have you checked it with another optical source? Toslink optical outputs are abundant. Any old CD, DVD, playstation, TV. You could buy something from a thriftshop, borrow something or take your ADI to an electronic outlet who could hook you up to a sure source. This is called a  --process of elimination--. If the RME works, the TV is the problem device or vice versa. And try another cable.

When my gear doesnt work its usually the simplest and most stupid problems. Like cable not connected or connected to wrong device. Mute is on or whatever. So I always go there first. Im always in a frenzy when connecting new gear. So stupid mistakes happen. Elimination process is next step, crosschecking the gear with a devices I know to be operating corectly.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Thanks @happy_amateur. This same setup was working until a few days ago.

24 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-10 15:56:59)

I dig a bit at internet, some people say:

Digital audio out....Configure the output method when outputting digital audio. This setting is available only when [Speakers] is set to [Audio system].

May be you check it again, if anything wrong at the setting of the TV.

Another find:

Press the HOME button, then select [Settings] — [Display & Sound] — [Audio output] — [Speakers] — [Audio system].
If the audio system is not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS, set [Settings] — [Display & Sound] — [Audio output] — [Digital audio out] to [PCM].
Check if the [Digital audio out volume] setting of the TV is at maximum.
Press the HOME button, then select:
[Settings] — [Display & Sound] — [Audio output] — [Digital audio out volume]

When using HDMI input with Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio, DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) may not provide an audio signal.