1 (edited by kchasovskiy82 2021-12-08 03:09:37)

Topic: How to run bit test from MacBook

Hi!

Few weeks ago I received Rme ADI-2 and enjoying it since)

I was hoping if somebody could help with explanation on how to conduct bit test. I downloaded wav files. Playing them using usb connection. Nothing really happens. Picture from manual shows it should be actually a message test pass. Of course if it’s correct bits transfer. Should I activate any functions in the DAC to run the test? I read page 65-66 of manual and did not find the answer to this question as well as how to run the test actually. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you

2 (edited by ning 2021-12-08 03:52:46)

Re: How to run bit test from MacBook

You did it right. There’s nothing you need to activate on the device.

This simply means you don’t have a bit perfect playback.

Try adjusting the volume of your player to 100% and set the sample rate in “audio midi setup” to match the file you are playing. For instance if you are doing a 96khz file test just set it to 96khz. You should see your RME screen displaying 96 on the right bottom corner of the spectrum screen. Then try playing the file in your player.

If you still run into issues, let people know what player software you are using. That may help us troubleshooting your issue better.

Thank you so much! I am using Apple Music. I turned off potential music adjustments. And when I was switching in midi different bit rates I had to reboot the programme every time. So everything was working perfectly and bit perfect ! No issues. Also airport express 1 get when played 16/44.1 wav file shows bit perfect result! very happy!

Then I tried to do the same from my iPad/iPhone. And this is what is happening. It always reads 44.1 kHz. No metterwhat. Then if I play Hirez file, like Doors anniversary edition on Apple Music which is 24/192 - it is showing correct bit rate. If I try to play the file from rme even with 96 or 192 kHz it switches to 44.1 and no messages. Even if I play 44.1 wav file from Apple Music on my iPhone connected with lightning to USB A still nothing. Any thoughts what could be wrong with iPhone/iPod ? anyway to make it bit perfect too?

Thank you

On an iPad/iPhone you need an app that changes the sample rate according to the source file. Neutron does that, some others too. Apple's own music player doesn't, same as on the Mac. I don't use Apple (HiRes) Music, others may know that one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I recommend conducting the bit test from within a DAW.  Operating systems transform audio streams for easy routing among different applications.  DAWs avoid these transformations by interfacing directly with the hardware driver.

On Linux, for example, I couldn't get the bit test to work with PulseAudio (the OS's default audio platform), but it did work with the Reaper DAW set to  ALSA (the OS's raw audio stream).  In Windows the corresponding raw audio driver is ASIO.  I'm not sure what it is in MacOS.

But the point is that MacOS (like Windows and Linux) is not dealing with raw, bit-perfect audio by default.

intalentive wrote:

I recommend conducting the bit test from within a DAW.  Operating systems transform audio streams for easy routing among different applications.  DAWs avoid these transformations by interfacing directly with the hardware driver.

On Linux, for example, I couldn't get the bit test to work with PulseAudio (the OS's default audio platform), but it did work with the Reaper DAW set to  ALSA (the OS's raw audio stream).  In Windows the corresponding raw audio driver is ASIO.  I'm not sure what it is in MacOS.

But the point is that MacOS (like Windows and Linux) is not dealing with raw, bit-perfect audio by default.

Apple Music can produce bit perfect, when you match bit rate in midi with song’s but rate. Confirmed with test WAV from RME.

But I have never heard about DAW. Is it a program or a driver? Is it available for Mac?