Topic: Class D active studio monitors fed by ADI-2

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a pair of active monitors for my desk, to be fed by my ADI-2 (I have the Pro FS BE R version, but shouldn't matter). Most that I've seen nowadays are class D with some degree of DSP onboard, such as LF extension or placement compensation (wall/freestanding).

The RME is prized for its D to A conversion performance, so would it not negate these benefits to go from the analog output of the ADI-2 back into digital within the speakers for DSP and amplification then back to analog for the actual drivers?

Cheers,
Nick

Re: Class D active studio monitors fed by ADI-2

Even without eq it will be degraded a lot. Those class d amps in monitors have much higher noise and distortion than adi-2. You should be able to hear hiss noise when you turn these monitors on.

So technically (in terms of low noise and distortion) there is no benefit using something as good as the adi-2 compared to a $100 audio interface. The noise and distortion are dominated by your amps and speakers.

To answer your question,yes, many studio monitors are already heavily eq-ed by either analog circuits or AD-EQ-DA, whose quality  are magnitudes lower than ADI-2’s

3 (edited by mwilson 2021-12-09 02:54:45)

Thanks ning, appreciate it. Confirms what I thought. It's a challenge, because my available space is limited, and most small-ish (say up to 7" woofer) active monitors are class D.

I guess I'll be better off with a dedicated amp and passive monitors.

Edit: if this is the case, it's interesting that the choice of monitor in the home page image on RME's site appears to be a HEDD Type 05 monitor, which I believe uses class D amps?

https://www.rme-audio.de/files/uploads/Content-Bilder/21prFireface-UCX-II-Head.png

4 (edited by ramses 2021-12-09 04:22:55)

You could consider the Geithain RL 906 active monitor. Plays very well in the nearfield (coaxial design). I used it in combination with UFX, UFX+ and now ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/geithain-rl906

[...]Each driver is powered by its own Class-AB MOSFET amplifier, with an active crossover at 3kHz and full electronic overload protection. The bass amp delivers 80W, while the tweeter amp manages 40W, and at full chat the speaker can manage 104dB SPL at one metre.[...]

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Neumann KH120 or KH310 (KH420)

Complete analog (no Class D), very low noise, great monitors, very reasonable pricing.

There are more compact active speakers with A/B amp technology. Pioneer have an interresting pair https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/mo … ions/#info I scooped these for a while.

You just have to look around, comparing specs and reading reviews. Ive never had a chance to compare amplifier technology. Have class a/b myself, and Im perfectly happy. Bang Olufsen, B&O invented ICE tech class D amps and they are using it in their top of the range so I wouldnt disregard it. Some other class d manufacturer, Lindorf have digital input skipping some internal conversion step. I think its smart to have some purist mind to avoid converting back and forth, EQing this and that. Keep the signal chain as short and clean as possible. It really speaks for itself. The HEDD´s that RME tout, probably great speakers, but really expensive stuff. Genelec is another maker I would consider if you have an arm and a leg to spare.

I have KEF LS50, the inactive model coupled to a Hegel H80 A/B amp. This is a good setup which can do some credit to the high SNR and blackness of the ADI-2 DAC. The KEF speakers are coaxial so its great stereo perspective and they have really nice and tight bass in my 12m2 listening room. Price now is somewhere around 12 - 1400 euros. The KEFs are already a modern classic, which I bought without any real auditioning. big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

My experience with Neumann KH120 monitors: do not deliver a good 3-d stage, no tight bass fundament. The higher model is 3-way and not really compact anymore.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-09 10:15:24)

I have/had them all here in my demo (KH120, KH310, KH420).
All models deliver an exceptional virtual 3D stage image and bass is extremely tight if placed correctly.

I know these monitors from my work for Fraunhofer Institute. They are a quasi standard in scientific research.

Saw many photos of different studio, they have Yamaha active monitors too, guess it is not bad.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Can recommend both the Neumann KH 420 which is completely analogue and the LS 50. However recently KEF seems to have changed some of their models, not sure if the original LS 50 is still available

helohe wrote:

Can recommend both the Neumann KH 420 which is completely analogue and the LS 50. However recently KEF seems to have changed some of their models, not sure if the original LS 50 is still available

LS50 updated to LS50 Meta many months ago, some LS50 old stock still available.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

12 (edited by ramses 2021-12-09 11:08:56)

In contrast to that RL906 is said to be uncritical and allows also parallel placement where space is an issue like in mobile broadcast vans. Did you ever hear those?
That Fraunhofer uses Neumann is good, but not sufficient as selection criterium. In my nearfield situation they failed whatever placement I tried.
Much better was KSDigital CS55 at that time, but they were too big and were a little bit noisy when you turn down the volume. Otherwise much more value in terms of 3d stage and overall sound reproduction.
Our different recommendations show that everybody needs to carefully check in his own listening situation. We have all different ears, rooms, use cases and listening habits.

13 (edited by beat8000 2021-12-09 11:16:15)

I would recommend to use such small active monitors together with a subwoofer.
With my RL906 i'm using the MEG Basis 1 which is also a good pairing together with my Strauss SE-NF-3 passive monitors and a Glockenklang Bugatti SE 300 power amp.
Additionnaly I have bought a pair of Adam A3X for my home office after a detailed comparison with nearly all the relevant near field monitors.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

Thank you all for the input and recommendations, and let me provide a few more data points:

My home office is on the small size, about 10x12 feet, or 3x4 meters. The desk isn't against the wall, but rather protruding into the room about 1/3 along the long side, perpendicular to the wall (L-shaped workstation). Speakers would be firing towards the closer wall, with me sitting pretty much against the wall facing the room.

Price isn't as sensitive a matter, in fact I had ordered a pair of Dynaudio LYD-7 along with their 9s subwoofer, when the DSP/class D dawned upon me, so a little over 2k USD proposition. I have canceled the order as soon as I realized the additional conversions and posted my inquiry here.

I did look at Genelec 8040, Neuman KH120, and Focal Shape 65 so far (which according to multiple reviews I read can be on the fatiguing side in terms of high frequency response, though there's always the PEQ in the ADI-2 to deal with that).

I wasn't aware of the Gethain RL 906, they seem highly rated but can't seem to be able to locate a dealer states-side; I've reached out to them and see what gives.

I'll check out the other models recommended in this thread and see if there's a fit.

This is an intriguing subject....
So one could dismiss a speaker with dsp, that on all accounts sounds better then an all analogue one on this account.
Speaker and amps are afaik always way inferior to any ADI, even the older ones.  And lets not start about our ears and brains....
So what is the use for almost perfect conversion in the real world anyway? Is it pure neurosis?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Johannes AU wrote:
helohe wrote:

LS50 updated to LS50 Meta many months ago, some LS50 old stock still available.

LS50 meta is the latest iteration of LS50(inactive) There is an active version too, thats LS50 wireless

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

vinark wrote:

So what is the use for almost perfect conversion in the real world anyway? Is it pure neurosis?

I can't speak as to others, but in my case, I spent good money on a good converter (my ADI-2 Pro FS BE R), so it would seem unwise to throw out all its benefits and go back to digital and back to analog.

mwilson wrote:
vinark wrote:

I can't speak as to others, but in my case, I spent good money on a good converter (my ADI-2 Pro FS BE R), so it would seem unwise to throw out all its benefits and go back to digital and back to analog.

That sums it up!

vinark wrote:

This is an intriguing subject....
So one could dismiss a speaker with dsp, that on all accounts sounds better then an all analogue one on this account.
Speaker and amps are afaik always way inferior to any ADI, even the older ones.  And lets not start about our ears and brains....

Less is more..

Well you either have an analogue crossover with all drawbacks or a digital one with all drawbacks. Or a (not so) full range one driver speaker. Which can sound very good except for freq range.

Still stands that with this reasoning you could choose a speaker system which sounds worse cause it is more pure. I would still let your ears do the talking.
It is not that I don't understand your reasoning, it might just be flawed when it is about result and not ideas. It all depends on the speaker you choose. In the total chain of source, ADI, Amp, filter (analogue or digital), speaker and room, the ADI has very little impact on the end result. Most influence has the source (the recording), speakers and room. Strange enough your ears/brain adapt very quickly to a not so perfect filter.
I am just trying to be helpful here (as always), making a good decision regarding speakers is very difficult.
By the way, I mix on a blue sky system one. Fully analogue filter and amps. Amps are a little noisy...

Vincent, Amsterdam

21 (edited by mwilson 2021-12-09 15:51:47)

I appreciate your input vinark, and if I didn't already have the RME I'd probably just get a great pair of class D active monitors with DSP and ingest digital from my computer directly. No sense going digital-analog-digital-analog. I'm not opposed to class D or DSP, it's just that I don't think this route makes sense given my particular setup.

Well I almost agree...
No sense going digital-analog-digital-analog except when the end result is better LOL.
The big question is, if this route negates the superb audio quality of the ADI? If the same speaker design with an all analogue version versus a class D dsp version, the last one sounds better (better freq response, better phase, lower distortion), the all analogue one degrades the ADI even more. I am not for DSP at all but for end result.

Vincent, Amsterdam

23 (edited by beat8000 2021-12-09 16:38:31)

As an alternative I would consider a near field monitor with digital input and DSP (e.g. Neumann KH 120 D) and connect it purely digitally to the ADI-2 .

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

24 (edited by mwilson 2021-12-09 17:21:19)

vinark wrote:

Well I almost agree...
No sense going digital-analog-digital-analog except when the end result is better LOL.
The big question is, if this route negates the superb audio quality of the ADI? If the same speaker design with an all analogue version versus a class D dsp version, the last one sounds better (better freq response, better phase, lower distortion), the all analogue one degrades the ADI even more. I am not for DSP at all but for end result.

I hear what you say, but I'll offer one more example for why I believe an analog chain post ADI would make more sense: filtering. I can easily tell the difference between the various options available, and have settled on a preferred one. With DSP in the speakers, I have no control over its own filtering, nor am I likely to even know what kind it employs. Same for its A to D conversion at ingestion.

If I wanted what's pleasing to the ears, heck, I'd get a pair of passive speakers, a tube amp, and a dram of Scotch—it's got to be five o'clock somewhere right? But the whole raison d'être of the ADI-2 is to be the quarterback of a highly-transparent system, allowing utmost flexibility and granular control over most aspects, from routing to conversion parameters. DSP in active speakers is mostly a black box with little known technically about its implementation.

Circling back to what you wrote, I don't know whether this route negates the ADI benefits. But having spent money on it already, I don't what to spend even more money only to find out I'm at the wrong end of a restocking fee on class D active speakers.

25 (edited by ramses 2021-12-09 19:01:26)

beat8000 wrote:

As an alternative I would consider a near field monitor with digital input and DSP (e.g. Neumann KH 120 D) and connect it purely digitally to the ADI-2 .

Such a concept has disadvantages.

It's not unusual to use active monitors for more than 10 or even 15 years.

1. This means you would be stuck to the converter quality of the KH 120 D for a very long time plus the time where it has been on the market already (usually d/a converters are not changed in one product).
2. You have to pay a much higher price for these monitors without getting more quality, because it's still the same monitor only with more electronic and because it's only rarely sold in much lower quantities.

You have more flexibility to perform the D/A conversion in a unit that is dedicated for this purpose and where the innovation cycle is much shorter.

Also you can compare products much better by using dedicated converters/active monitors and keep then the best combination.

Furthermore you have with the RME converters ADI-2 DAC/Pro the following advantages:

a) ability to select the D/A filter for other criterias then only the most linear frequency courve (see posting from KaiS why he prefers the Slow filter).

b) the bittest to validate lossless data transfers end to end in the digital domain

c) RME's legendary steadyclock technology to suppress noise and jitter just before D/A conversion with the DAC's ultra precise internal fs clock.

d) RME's design to use four different reference levels in combination with auto reflevel to keep highest SNR and dynamic over a much wider volume range and this in combination with dynamic loudness, B/T and PEQ.

My advice to o.p.
You have already the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, it's a gem....

Now concentrate to get the best active monitors or combination of power amp and passive monitors and then make use of all the high valuable features of ADI-2 DAC/Pro which are uniq in the market in this combination and quality.

My two ADI-2 Pro FS R BE play extremely well in front of
- Geithain RL906 / Audeze LCD-3
- Accuphase E-600 and B&W 803D3
I can only recommend to make use of all the outstanding features of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro including the D/A conversion part.

ramses wrote:

My two ADI-2 Pro FS R BE play extremely well in front of
- Geithain RL906 / Audeze LCD-3
- Accuphase E-600 and B&W 803D3

To provide context, and I did mention it a couple of times, this is my workstation setup. It's not meant as a system where full-blown amps and speakers are palatable.

I am curious on the Geithain though, but so far they haven't emailed me with a US dealer contact—perhaps there aren't any this side of the pond.

27 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-09 20:40:50)

The Neumann KH 120 D make no sense if you already have a RME ADI 2 PRO.
Try a pair of nice Neumann KH 120 and you will see/hear, these monitors are really great.

At a later time you can expand the setup with a Neumann KH 750 DSP subwoofer and the new Neumann MA 1 monitor calibration system (full range frequency calibration and phase alignment). This allows a perfectly calibrated setup for your listening situation. Even with DSP and ADDA the benefits of the calibration are far much greater than the neglible loss of double conversion.

Just an idea.

I had the same doubt and I ended up getting a pair of Neumann KH 80 DSP for my desk at arms reach.

Even though it does internal AD-DA for the drivers, in theory this is a Con, but there are some Pros to compensate:
- Small size
- Excellent dispersion
- Linear phase (FIR) = time alignment
- Higher order filter between drivers (48 dB/oct; 8th order with phase correction)

I use it in flat mode and lowest gain and volume = zero hiss.

FYI the KH 80 DSP dynamic range A-D-A is rated at 111 dB(A) woofer; 112 dB(A) tweeter, which is pretty good considering the ADI-2 DAC is about 115-120 dB depending on volume.

IME the trade-off was worth it, I am happy.

Can you say a little more how you will position your monitors? On stands behind the desk, on the desk, some other way? Also what will be your listening distance?

In the end you will have to listen yourself. All monitors have a sound, much more so than converters. They also interact with the room in different ways, depending on their dispersion, ported vs sealed etc. What sounds good in one room, does not necessarily work as well in the next.

In my "big" system I have Amphion speakers. Passive design but I liked them better than Neumann 310 which I was close to buy. Crimson 630D monos as amps. Nice. Didn't like the matching Amphion amp which is a Class D design. Generally not a fan of Class D. My next amp will be a Pass XA25 which I had borrowed and really liked.

Geithain is excellent but I found them too pricey compared to the competition.

Heard Hedd at Superbooth this year. Excellent speakers but the newer versions are DSP'ed. So that's a no go for me.

In my office I have JBL 305s with the matching subwoofer. The set is ca 600.- I don't think you can find better sound for that amount of money and in a nearfield application it's very convincing - even though Class D wink

NoisyNarrowBandDevice wrote:

Can you say a little more how you will position your monitors? On stands behind the desk, on the desk, some other way? Also what will be your listening distance?

On the desk, to the sides of my display. About 0.9 to 1 meter between them, and similar distance to my listening position. So definitely near-field.

bejoro wrote:

Try a pair of nice Neumann KH 120 and you will see/hear, these monitors are really great.

If you directed this at me, I had the KH 120 A in mind, not D. So class AB amplification

31 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-09 21:16:56)

mwilson wrote:
bejoro wrote:

If you directed this at me, I had the KH 120 A in mind, not D. So class AB amplification

Sorry but yes because beat8000 suggested the D-version. The Neumann monitors use also separated AB amplification for each driver.

I would recommend the KH 120 A and later maybe the subwoofer Neumann KH 750 DSP + MA 1 for a full range, calibrated setup. Works perfectly here and for my customers (Neumann MA 1 monitor calibration developped by Neumann/Sennheiser together with Fraunhofer Institute).

mwilson wrote:
NoisyNarrowBandDevice wrote:

On the desk, to the sides of my display. About 0.9 to 1 meter between them, and similar distance to my listening position. So definitely near-field.

You don't need big monitors this close. My JBLs are almost exactly in the same distance and position on some cheap stands from Thoman.

The KH 120s should be great. Genelec, PMC and Focal would be other brands to consider.

bejoro wrote:

I would recommend the KH 120 A and later maybe the subwoofer Neumann KH 750 DSP + MA 1 for a full range, calibrated setup.

I thought of this particular setup, but what's not clear is whether the subwoofer's output is a loopout of the analog input, or whether it's already processed by the DSP for LF cutoff. If the latter, it's once again an A to D conversion. I understand the sub's own amp is class D, so strictly referring to the sub out to monitor in aspect.

I decided to still give my original plan a listen (Dynaudio LYD-7), class D and all, at least I owe it to myself to validate my theory. If they don't work out the KH 120 A so far will be my fallback.

34 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-09 22:04:51)

It‘s really funny how people here recommended speakers they never heard, bring down a whole category of amplifiers in general, and ...

To select a studio monitor you need to hear it and do test mixes at the very position it’s intended to be used.
First you have to look into your wallet, then select from the possible candidates BY AUDITIONING them in your studio.

There’s NO general difference between various amplification, but there’s worlds of a difference between speakers from different makers.

If you have a small wallet, here’s my recommendation of a modern classic, from a company that builds highly appreciated studio monitors for more than half of a century.
They’ve learned how to build great quality at a modest price.

I just installed a pair of these as nearfields in a pro studio, and the results are great.
Concentrics are unbeatable as nearfield monitors IMO.
https://www.tannoy.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CMZ

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/marketing_images/Gold-Series/P0CMZ/Image_Unrivaled-Performance.jpg

35 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-10 08:17:38)

mwilson wrote:
bejoro wrote:

I would recommend the KH 120 A and later maybe the subwoofer Neumann KH 750 DSP + MA 1 for a full range, calibrated setup.

I thought of this particular setup, but what's not clear is whether the subwoofer's output is a loopout of the analog input, or whether it's already processed by the DSP for LF cutoff. If the latter, it's once again an A to D conversion. I understand the sub's own amp is class D, so strictly referring to the sub out to monitor in aspect.

I decided to still give my original plan a listen (Dynaudio LYD-7), class D and all, at least I owe it to myself to validate my theory. If they don't work out the KH 120 A so far will be my fallback.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

If you use the KH 750 DSP you will have an ADDA conversion if you connect the ADI 2 PRO analog outputs to the subwoofer.

The Class D amp for the subwoofer driver does not affect the DSP or analog section of the KH 750 DSP.

My point was that with KH 120 A + KH 750 DSP and the Neumann MA 1 monitor calibration the benefits of a perfectly calibrated system are far greater than the neglible loss of the additional ADDA conversion incl. subwoofer frequency and time alignment, linear phase etc.

I installed this setup and it has worked really well.

But it is just an idea. Maybe you are more satisfied with the Dynaudios than you think.
Good luck and success!

Edit: nasty typo wink

36 (edited by mwilson 2021-12-09 22:26:49)

bejoro wrote:

I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

You didn't, and that's because I confused models. Sorry, been looking all over the place at so many things it's starting to be a blur. And KaiS' advice is solid, but I don't have the luxury to audition model after model in my setup.

The Neumann sub is way too big for me so it's a nonstarter. I thought of the subwoofer from Dynaudio which does DSP itself.

Edit: the Neumann sub isn't the large one I had in mind when writing the above. My apologies for the confusion. I think I need to take a step back and let things crystalize before proceeding. And give a chance to audition the Dynaudios over the weekend.

37 (edited by beat8000 2021-12-09 23:15:51)

If you are still interested in the RL906 I would like to mention that the subwoofer MEG Basis 1 is really practical.
It works perfectly connected to my RL906 but also to the Adam A3X. Additionnaly I have tried it together with my power amp Glockenklang Bugatti and the passive monitor Strauss SE-NF-3.   

The setup was rather easy which means that I have connected the Adi-2 Pro to the subwoofer and this device to all the other gear mentioned above. After that I have choosen the correct distance to the baseline and the volume on the Basis 1 and I have checked it by listening. A colleague has visited my place and has asked me if the setup has been done by a professional acoustician because he found it so perfect. wink

What is optimal way to connect adi-2DAC  to active powered speakers like Genelec?  Analogue or digital?  With or without GLM software?

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

yuhasz01 wrote:

What is optimal way to connect adi-2DAC  to active powered speakers like Genelec?  Analogue or digital?  With or without GLM software?

The ADI-2 DAC does not have any digital out so you must use analogue with that one.

I've Genelec active monitors/subwoofer that I use with GLM for room EQ and setting the input sensitivity (that is the GLM volume level), and one pair is connected to an ADI-2 DAC FS while the other pair to an audio interface of a different brand. I only use the GLM for setup and calibration. Works fine for me and I doubt that there is any audible difference between analogue and digital to the Genelecs.

40 (edited by ramses 2022-01-01 21:47:54)

yuhasz01 wrote:

Which of these devices do you own already and what do you want to achieve ? What is your focus ?

The ADI-2 DAC or PROs
- advanced features
- D/A conversion quality

you could also get other active monitors without GLM ....

Or is the use of Genelec monitors with GLM your main aim?

If I remember right (to be checked by you) you need to use digital inputs for making best use of GLM.

So .. as only the ADI-2 Pro FS has digital outputs, then you would need an ADI-2 Pro and not the DAC version ....

Most inexpensive solution is using ADI-2 DAC FS and connecting it analog to active monitors.

ramses wrote:
yuhasz01 wrote:

Which of these devices do you own already and what do you want to achieve ? What is your focus ?

The ADI-2 DAC or PROs
- advanced features
- D/A conversion quality

If I remember right (to be checked by you) you need to use digital inputs for making best use of GLM.

So .. as only the ADI-2 Pro FS has digital outputs, then you would need an ADI-2 Pro and not the DAC version ....

Most inexpensive solution is using ADI-2 DAC FS and connecting it analog to active monitors.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I own an ADi-2DAc now plus a solid state amp and some passive speakers.  I will sell the DAC and buy the PRO version( sound quality should be equivalent).  I want Genelec #8340a for their room correction features and their sonic features, though unsure of full dsp impact

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

Muffin wrote:
yuhasz01 wrote:

The ADI-2 DAC does not have any digital out so you must use analogue with that one.

I've Genelec active monitors/subwoofer that I use with GLM for room EQ and setting the input sensitivity (that is the GLM volume level), and one pair is connected to an ADI-2 DAC FS while the other pair to an audio interface of a different brand. I only use the GLM for setup and calibration. Works fine for me and I doubt that there is any audible difference between analogue and digital to the Genelecs.

Thanks for sharing your setup and experience

WY

Then you can connect the active monitors through AES, those Genelecs have AES through.

ADI------AES------------------Genelec#1
                                               AES Through ----------------- Genelec#2

ADI-2 Pro has a (routing) mode so that you can even use dynamic loudness for the digital outputs if I remember right, check manual.

yuhasz01 wrote:
ramses wrote:
yuhasz01 wrote:

The ADI-2 DAC or PROs
- advanced features
- D/A conversion quality

Thanks for the suggestions.  I own an ADi-2DAc now plus a solid state amp and some passive speakers.  I will sell the DAC and buy the PRO version( sound quality should be equivalent).  I want Genelec #8340a for their room correction features and their sonic features, though unsure of full dsp impact

Since you already own the ADI-2 DAC you could try it with the new Genelec before selling it to buy an ADI-2 Pro to use it's AES output.

Muffin wrote:
yuhasz01 wrote:
ramses wrote:

The ADI-2 DAC or PROs
- advanced features
- D/A conversion quality

Since you already own the ADI-2 DAC you could try it with the new Genelec before selling it to buy an ADI-2 Pro to use it's AES output.

Yup possible, as they have analog inputs as well.
But its impossible for him then to know, whether the GLM would have given him any advantage, or "how that sounds".
Better to get a Pro on top and then decide by switching at the Genelect, I hope that there is something like a switch or he needs help from a friend to switch between analog and XLR.
When comparing this it is important to test blind, switch fast and ensure to have exactly the same output volume because louder sounds better for our ears.

46 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-02 20:19:37)

This thread by far overly focusses on a theoretical influence of one extra AD-DA conversion.

By my decades of experience doing digital studio productions with good quality converters the resulting sound change is negligible.
Even more though as we are now talking about an AD-DA quality level higher than ever.

Opposed to this the difference between various loudspeakers / studio monitors is night and day.

In the light of this fact, the decision should be based solely on the sound of the speakers, not on their connectivity.
The only way to find out is to listen and do test mixes / productions, there‘s no shortcut.

47 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-02 20:03:49)

ramses wrote:
Muffin wrote:
yuhasz01 wrote:

But its impossible for him then to know, whether the GLM would have given him any advantage, or "how that sounds".
Better to get a Pro on top and then decide by switching at the Genelect, I hope that there is something like a switch or he needs help from a friend to switch between analog and XLR.
When comparing this it is important to test blind, switch fast and ensure to have exactly the same output volume because louder sounds better for our ears.

You don't need to use digital in on the Genelec to take advantage of GLM, nor do you need to even have it connected after setup if you can control the volume level from the source.

For testing audio differences between analogue and digital he (or his friend) can use GLM to switch between the two inputs using two GLM setups that is level matched. The switch takes less than a second, at least for my Genelec 8330A connected to a Genelec 7360A subwoofer.

He can do one setup for digital in (including a calibration), make a copy that will be used for analogue that is then level matched. He can adjust the level of each monitor in 0.1dB steps in GLM.

Thanks for this information, I was not 100% sure how exactly GLM works. Good that you clarified :-)

Muffin wrote:
ramses wrote:
Muffin wrote:

You don't need to use digital in on the Genelec to take advantage of GLM, nor do you need to even have it connected after setup if you can control the volume level from the source.

For testing audio differences between analogue and digital he (or his friend) can use GLM to switch between the two inputs using two GLM setups that is level matched. The switch takes less than a second, at least for my Genelec 8330A connected to a Genelec 7360A subwoofer.

He can do one setup for digital in (including a calibration), make a copy that will be used for analogue that is then level matched. He can adjust the level of each monitor in 0.1dB steps in GLM.

Good concrete suggestions thank you

WY

50 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-02 21:53:54)

yuhasz01 wrote:
Muffin wrote:
ramses wrote:

Good concrete suggestions thank you

Thanks!

Last year I was in a similar position as you when deciding between the ADI-2 DAC and the ADI-2 Pro for use with Genelec 8330A. I used the difference in price between those two devices towards buying a Genelec subwoofer as that almost certainly would increase the sound quality much more than a possible slight audible difference between analogue and digital input.

I found the 7350A subwoofer a bit weak for me and bought the 7360A later, but both of the subwoofers increased the quality of bass very much as 1) I could place the subwoofer to where the 2.1 setup had the best bass and 2) bass heavy music is much better sounding. In GLM that is also easily testable since there is a bass management on/off toggle.