Topic: Integrating UFX+ with A&H SQ via MADI
I have just ordered an Allen & Heath SQ5 digital mixer along with the fairly new MADI option card (cf. https://www.allen-heath.com/sq-series/sq-madi/#docs). I want to use it as my main live mixing console.
Besides that, I have an UFX+ connected via TB to an Intel NUC, both being housed in a shallow rack.
Now I plan to integrate the SQ with the UFX+ via MADI to do the following:
1) Route up to 8 input signals (e.g., from Vox Mics) from the SQ to the UFX+ and back to the SQ so that I can do some VST plugin processing in the NUC while still keeping the redundant/original signal in the mixer in case the PC goes down. I don't want to use a direct USB connection from the SQ to the NUC because I have experienced some outages and latency issues in the past - no serious solution for live use IMHO.
2) Route up to 8 multi channel playback tracks from the NUC (Ableton) to the SQ5.
Unfortunately I have no experience with MADI and especially Wordclock yet, but I like the idea of keeping all signals digital between input AD and output DA. My questions are:
- What is the correct way of connecting the UFX+ with the SQ MADI card for Audio? I suppose I should use BNC 75 Ohm cables as this is natively supported by both.
- How to handle Word Clock? Should UFX+ be the WC Master or the SQ?
- Also regarding WC: the SQ MADI card has a separate BNC connector for WC In/Out while the UFX+ sends WC via the MADI out BNC. Connection-wise, assuming the UFX+ be the WC Master, do I need some kind of T-adaptor on the SQ side to route the signal both to the MADI in and the WC in socket of the SQ card?
I've already scanned the manual and the forum but couldn't find a proper answer to my question. If anyone of you can help, it would be awesome.
Thanks in advance!