1 (edited by Brusie 2022-01-02 18:10:54)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS: Headphone outputs too loud?

I have recently bought a Babyface Pro FS and I'm going to use it mostly with headphone for the time being.
Everything works great but I am a bit concerned by the fact that the volume from the headphones outputs appears to be very high, and I have to set the volume in Total Mix at -30 or lower in order to listen at comfortable levels. I am using Beyerdynamic dt880 pro, 250 ohms. Am I missing something here? Is sound quality decreased by having to keep the volume so low?

I hope it is ok to post this as a new topic as I couldn't find a similar thread. If I need to post elsewhere please let me know and feel free to delete this post.

Thank you for your help,

Michele

Re: Babyface Pro FS: Headphone outputs too loud?

See manual page 7 and 8 regarding the two phones outputs.

1. You can select between two different reference levels.  At which are you now ? Try -10 dBV (consumer level).
2. perhaps also try how loud it is by using the 3.5mm plug for low impedance phones.

Volume of -30 is not critical.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have the same thing and rest assured it is not decreasing quality. MC has posted many times why digital volume control is even better then analog. The easiest to understand is if you here noise while nothing is playing and the inputs are mute. If not noise is still below the hearing threshold. Maybe if it would be -80db problems would start to be audible, but even not sure about that

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

ramses wrote:

See manual page 7 and 8 regarding the two phones outputs.

1. You can select between two different reference levels.  At which are you now ? Try -10 dBV (consumer level).
2. perhaps also try how loud it is by using the 3.5mm plug for low impedance phones.

Volume of -30 is not critical.

Thank you very much Ramses.
Yes the 3.5 output seems indeed a bit quieter and that's what I ended up using right now. I am not sure however I understand what you are referring to regarding reference levels. I believe the manual speaks of reference levels with regards to inputs 3 and 4, is that the parameter you are referring to? (apologies Total Mix FX newbie here...)

Thank you @Vinark too!

Analog circuits can be designed to have different reference levels.
The Babyface Pro FS supports - if I remember right - two different ones on inputs and outputs, also on headphone output.
Other devices like UFX+ or ADI-2 Pro FS R BE support up to 4 different reference levels.

The lower the chosen reference level on analog inputs, the higher sensitivity you have and more silent signals become louder.
The higher the chosen reference level on analog outputs, the higher the output signal and thus output level / volume will be.

So choose a lower reference level for your headphones and you get a lower volume.

BTW, the BBF Pro FS seems to have two different ways to change the reference level for outputs
1. for XLR 1/2 you set this via a switch between +4 or +19 dBu
2. for the headphone outputs it can be, that this is being configured in TM FX
Look at the HW output for headphones in the bottom row.
There is a "tool/wrench" symbol at the fader.
Click to it and usually there you find a possibility to change the reference level for outputs.
Choose the lower one here .. and you will hear volume changes in your phone.

Check what works better with consumer level (-10 dBV) .. the 6,3 or 3,5mm output.
Both are controller over the same fader .. (these are not 2 separated phones outputs).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you so much again, Ramses, for you help and patience. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to set the reference level for the headphone output.
I did set the reference level for the XLR main outputs through the switch on the bottom of the interface, and I did find how to set the reference level for inputs 3/4 by clicking on the little wrench icon in the input tracks panel, but I can't find a way to do the same for the headphone outputs. Clicking the wrench icon on the main or phones track panel in the control room in totalmix doesn't show an option similar to what appears on the inputs 3/4 track panel, and I just skimmed through the manual again and I believe no mention is made about a reference level pertaining to the headphone outputs.

Thank you again!

Well, then I got it wrong from the manual. In this case I think it has been implemented in HW and you choose, whether you plug phones to the one or other output.

8 (edited by vinark 2022-01-02 21:22:16)

And with most headphones I tried they are equally loud. Only one was different and I forgot if the was a low or hi impedance one, but the diffrence was small anyway. My low is my earbuds and hi my sehnheiser HD580. My others are medium lol.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

My akg Q701s definitely work better with more level in the 1/4” socket.

Because headphones are so different you need to set the output to what works for you and not figures. In my case the Q701s take a lot of driving so I have the TotalMix output level very high. My DT1770s quite a bit less and a pair of kz in ears  the volume has to be set really lower.

I’d say that’s what volume controls are for.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.