Topic: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

Hi there

I'm building a hardware volume controller, currently using an arduino uno with ethernet sheild to turn a potentiometer into floating OSC values to control the master bus.  This will be connected to the computer via a POE switch, so the monitor controller has a single connection.

For me this is better than the RME controller, as I have several outputs of my Fireface 802 connected to a surround speaker setup, and I can gang the outputs in Totalmix, and TADA! I have a multi channel level control.

My question is - what other controls would you add to something like this?  For example, push buttons... what would you use them for in Totalmix?

I currently have an Elgato stream deck sending key commands to Totalmix, and I'm not sure I can improve on this functionality.

Thanks for any input you can give.  I'll make a YouTube tutorial on the process when it's done smile

2

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

What RME controller are you talking about? The ARC USB would do exactly the same - control the whole fader group with one knob.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

brooksaudio wrote:

Hi there

I'm building a hardware volume controller, currently using an arduino uno with ethernet sheild to turn a potentiometer into floating OSC values to control the master bus.  This will be connected to the computer via a POE switch, so the monitor controller has a single connection.

For me this is better than the RME controller, as I have several outputs of my Fireface 802 connected to a surround speaker setup, and I can gang the outputs in Totalmix, and TADA! I have a multi channel level control.

My question is - what other controls would you add to something like this?  For example, push buttons... what would you use them for in Totalmix?

I currently have an Elgato stream deck sending key commands to Totalmix, and I'm not sure I can improve on this functionality.

Thanks for any input you can give.  I'll make a YouTube tutorial on the process when it's done smile

Hows that Elgato stream deck work for you. What functions have you connected the buttons to.?

ADI2 DAC fs. Digiface USB. FF UCXII. ARC USB. HEGEL H80. KEF Ls50. HD650. ie400pro.

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

@mc - Ok, fair enough!  I didn't realise it worked in the same way.  One advantage is that my box costs about half of the ARC retail, when as I stated all I need is one knob!

@Happy - I mostly use it to send Function key commands for snapshots smile  It's good and versatile, but Totalmix must be selected in the OS for it to work, definitely an advantage of the Arc there.

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

brooksaudio wrote:

Hi there

My question is - what other controls would you add to something like this?  For example, push buttons... what would you use them for in Totalmix?

For surround work it is definitely very useful to have individual mute and solo buttons for each speaker output.

__________________________
Paul Najar
Jaminajar Music Production
www.jaminajar.com

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

brooksaudio wrote:

@mc - Ok, fair enough!  I didn't realise it worked in the same way.  One advantage is that my box costs about half of the ARC retail, when as I stated all I need is one knob!

@Happy - I mostly use it to send Function key commands for snapshots smile  It's good and versatile, but Totalmix must be selected in the OS for it to work, definitely an advantage of the Arc there.

ARC USB or Totalmix Remote + Totalmix and fader groups has so much additional functionality though.

Guess it depends on exactly what you need, but as you dive deeper into these tools you often find insane ways to improve your workflow.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

Ninbura wrote:

ARC USB or Totalmix Remote + Totalmix and fader groups has so much additional functionality though.

Can you please expand on this with regards to my specific use case?


The more I think about this, the more keen I am to try the ARC as my main monitor controller...

BUT - I'm thinking how useful it would be to have a network volume control to control the headphone output level in software for my small live room, so I may re-purpose the controller to do this job instead.

8 (edited by Ninbura 2022-01-10 17:24:25)

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

brooksaudio wrote:

Can you please expand on this with regards to my specific use case?

BUT - I'm thinking how useful it would be to have a network volume control to control the headphone output level in software for my small live room, so I may re-purpose the controller to do this job instead.

For example, you can use a fader group to control the volume of all channels at once, a mute group to mute / unmute all the channels at once, and control your headphone output level remotely, all with Totalmix Remote.

As your use case expands (as it already has) you will continue to use different features within Totalmix. Totalmix Remote gives you access to the entire Totalmix session remotely via an iPad, and it runs on very old iPads even. I think on every iPad except the first gen iPad, just needs to be capable of running iOS 8. What I mean to say is that this makes it very cheap, older iPads can be had for less than $100.

With two row mode and other options on iPad you can make the controls quite big / usable, it's fairly intuitive.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

Re: Hardware OSC Controller - feature requests?

Ninbura wrote:

For example, you can use a fader group to control the volume of all channels at once, a mute group to mute / unmute all the channels at once, and control your headphone output level remotely, all with Totalmix Remote.

Thanks for the reply smile

Totalmix remote is great, but relies on a good wifi connection and a charged iPad.  I'm quite keen to have something more reliable and hard wired.

Will update you on my progress with my network headphone controller smile