Topic: Question for MC about phase when using 4 ADI-2 FS simultaneously

Hi,

I have an ADI-2 Pro FS that I think is the best converters I've ever heard!

Now I need 8 analog I/O therefore I'm planning on getting 3 ADI-2 FS and connect everything to a digiface USB.

So;

digiface USB ->
->ADI-2 Pro FS
->ADI-2 FS
->ADI-2 FS
->ADI-2 FS

The question is, will they be in perfect phase, as if they where in the same unit? Or will something like the M-1610 Pro sound better in this case?

BR

Re: Question for MC about phase when using 4 ADI-2 FS simultaneously

The ADI-2 FS does not have the exact same latency as the Pro, so there is no phase alignment possible. With 4 Pro or 4 ADI-2 FS it would work. For handling and other practical reasons I strongly advice to use a a multichannel converter like the M-1610, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you very much for helping out! big_smile

Would you say the M-series are the best multichannel converters you make, or is something else even better (like the ADI-8 QS for example)?

Or do you even have something like an ADI-8 FS in the pipeline? wink (You don't have to answer that)^^

4 (edited by ning 2022-01-10 17:51:36)

Last year I helped my employer purchase a Fireface UCX II and my colleagues are very happy about it.
It's a lot cheaper than the converter series, and has mic inputs as well!
If you just want 8 channels input/output you can also consider that, or the even cheaper but mighty Fireface UCX II, 8 I/Os and under $1500, the best value you can get from RME.

5 (edited by hansrohdin 2022-01-10 19:15:50)

I agree that the UCX II is great value. I did actually try a UCX II and blind-tested it against the ADI-2 Pro FS and the interface I'm replacing (Antelope ZenStudio+). Unfortunately the others sounded noticably better to me, closer to the original audio.

Value isn't my main goal, I want the best converters possible, otherwise I'll just want to upgrade again. smile

6 (edited by torbenscharling 2022-01-10 20:02:59)

hansrohdin wrote:

I agree that the UCX II is great value. I did actually try a UCX II and blind-tested it against the ADI-2 Pro FS and the interface I'm replacing (Antelope ZenStudio+). Unfortunately the others sounded noticably better to me, closer to the original audio.

Value isn't my main goal, I want the best converters possible, otherwise I'll just want to upgrade again. smile

What do you mean "the others"? ADI-2 Pro FS & ZenStudio+ are better than UCX II ?

I'd imagine the Pro FS would trump the QS apart from it's built in limiters on all inputs. If it's technically better quality I don't think MC would tell us lol

If money is no issue and you see no operational problems with 4 adi2"s on a digiface and you feel this is the quality you want and need, you know what to do....

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

8 (edited by hansrohdin 2022-01-10 21:18:08)

torbenscharling:

Oh I’m sorry if it was unclear. Yes, in my opinion (just my opinion) ADI-2 Pro FS and Antelope ZenStudio+ (with ADI-2 Pro FS as master clock) sounds noticably better then UCX II.

I also think the Pro FS trumps the QS. The question is which is the very best multichannel unit RME makes? Pro FS is only stereo and I imagine RME has better multichannel converters then UCX II.

Vinark:

Yes I’m afraid so wink
Their best multichannel unit might be good enough though, as MC wrote, it might be more practical (and I suppose stable) with only one unit. I might try a multichannel unit if I know which one is the absolute best RME has.

hansrohdin wrote:

torbenscharling:

Oh I’m sorry if it was unclear. Yes, in my opinion (just my opinion) ADI-2 Pro FS and Antelope ZenStudio+ (with ADI-2 Pro FS as master clock) sounds noticably better then UCX II.

I also think the Pro FS trumps the QS. The question is which is the very best multichannel unit RME makes? Pro FS is only stereo and I imagine RME has better multichannel converters then UCX II.

Not really just checking.. Ya I could imagine so. My original ADI-2 sounds better than the original BabyFace.. I'd imagine the ADI-8 DS and QS sound better than the UCX II, but have not heard either, so this is just from my own personal experience in the audio industry and having hands on experience with lower dynamic range RME products versus their more Pro offerings.

I'd say you'd need to also consider the extras you get with the original approach you thought off, versus no headphones out and other shortcomings on the dedicated converters. It would also not make sense for RME to go backwards in terms of quality, so I assume their entire Pro line-up is what it says, Pro. I'd consider their ADI-8 converters Pro as well, even if it's not stated in the product names.

MC wrote:

With 4 Pro or 4 ADI-2 FS it would work.

I just gave this a try and slaved my two Pro's (a FS and a FR R) to the SPDIF outputs of my AP (one coaxial and one optical). DAC filters etc all set the same, of course.

I'm seing a constant and stable time relationship but it isn't zero, rather it is 0.25 of a sample period (or 0.5 for NOS mode) but that seems to be in accordance to the differences in group delay specs for the different converter chips.

So as as long all devices are the same hardware I would assume perfect sync to the microsecond when fed from a synced source (the Digiface USB surely is). Probably running all devices with the same firmware is a good idea as well (for exact same SteadyClock behavior).

11 (edited by hansrohdin 2022-02-21 17:43:39)

Ok, so I have now made several blind tests with:

Antelope ZenStudio+ (with RME ADI-2 Pro FS as master clock)
RME ADI-2 FS
RME ADI-2 Pro FS
RME M-1610 Pro

Result: They are all so good that I cannot hear any conversion artefacts at all. I can't even tell which is the original file. Extremely good cenverters!!

The two ADI-2 FS I got was not in perfect sync though. They didn't have the exact same EAN-code (I think they ended with -96 and -97) so they may have been slightly different. I also don't know if the ADAT outs on my Antelope are synchronized.

Thanks for all your help!