Topic: UCX ii Failure in bootloader message

Hello,

I purchased the UCX ii less than 2 months ago and have barely had a chance to use it. It was working fine until this morning when i powered it up and it displays an error message as follows :

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected
FFFFFFFF

It does not change the message when I power it on or off. I note a post from another user recently of a similar issue. They were informed to return it for repair. I've contacted GuitarGuitar for support. Is this a message anyone else has had? If RME stuff is failing the world must be in a bad place as normally it is so rock solid. I was just about to begin recording an album.  It is what I use for work. Hopefully this is an easy fix.

Any advice much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Re: UCX ii Failure in bootloader message

Oje, i was ready to order it but it’s not available currently. Let’s see if that’s just a couple of units.

Had the same issue today!
Same error, bought in early December, waiting for an answer for news..
Just to gather some info, what could have caused this issue?
Never had voltage shortage, blackouts, always turned off before shutting down PC..
Is this a common failure? How to prevent it?

This seems to be a soldering issue during manufacturing. Affected units need to be sent in and will be repaired (usually they would just be exchanged - but as the times are unusual there often are no replacement units available). Nothing you did to provoke it....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by E885 2022-01-25 18:34:13)

MC wrote:

This seems to be a soldering issue during manufacturing. Affected units need to be sent in and will be repaired (usually they would just be exchanged - but as the times are unusual there often are no replacement units available). Nothing you did to provoke it....

Thanks for the answer.
I don't want to sound polemic at all, but reading posts it looks like a specific lotto had some defected unit.. Since we're living in shortage of components in there days, I can see using different components to mantain the offer of your products...
But atleast in my case, this issue will cost me extra money, since even if I'm still in warranty I have to pay for retiring and for insurance to get to the repair dealer...
I already paid your product, and I really, really appreciate it, but this problem hurts my feelings, honestly.

EDIT: it seems that I only have to pay insurance, still, please improve your tests to prevent this to happen.. RME products are not cheap

6 (edited by joemusician 2022-02-12 12:09:54)

How long would it take for the repair, coming from the U.S.? I am looking at purchasing a new one next week based on my previously good experiences with RME, but this issue has me concerned. There is a dealer that has a UCX II at the previous price (1499 US) and a more recent batch of UCX IIs at 1599 US. Would I be safe getting one of the new ones? I'd rather spend the extra 100 if the newer ones are known to have addressed this issue.

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s

joemusician wrote:

How long would it take for the repair, coming from the U.S.? I am looking at purchasing a new one next week based on my previously good experiences with RME, but this issue has me concerned. There is a dealer that has a UCX II at the previous price (1499 US) and a more recent batch of UCX IIs at 1599 US. Would I be safe getting one of the new ones? I'd rather spend the extra 100 if the newer ones are known to have addressed this issue.

I don't think there is a new version of UCX II.

8 (edited by joemusician 2022-02-10 15:07:44)

@ANAFREE: not a new version, but a new batch (of the same version). Often physical defects are limited to a small run of units. I'm asking if the issue is known to be limited to such a batch, and what the estimated turnaround time for repair would be in either case so that I can factor this is into my decision to purchase. I don’t mind taking the chance if I know it would be repaired in a reasonable time.

only RME staff can answer, I can just tell you that mine (that showed bootloader failure just out of the box and is now on its route to Germany for repairing, from Italy) has serial number 24068635

I've encountered this error right out of the box too. Can someone from RME confirm if newer serial numbers don't have this issue?

MC wrote:

Hi Matthias, can you or someone from RME confirm if newer serial numbers don't have this issue?

There is no list of potentially affected units, sorry. This is a warranty issue in any case...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Can you explain how the problem appears? Because I bought one and sent it to my sister's address in America to bring it to me in three months when she's going to visit us.

To ask her to test it.

I mean, can i ask my sister to test my UCX ii without PC?
Does the problem appear directly when the device is first turned on by electricity.... if the device has soldering issue?

Does the absence of a mistake first time you turn on the device mean that it is completely free of problems and I can rest assured?

ANAFREE wrote:

Does the absence of a mistake first time you turn on the device mean that it is completely free of problems and I can rest assured?

No. (Read the first post.) But at least it would be covered by the warranty. I decided to go with the Babyface Pro FS for now.

16 (edited by ANAFREE 2022-02-12 17:22:22)

joemusician wrote:
ANAFREE wrote:

No. (Read the first post.) But at least it would be covered by the warranty. I decided to go with the Babyface Pro FS for now.

Thank you Joe, I already purchased UCX ii from Reverb

ANAFREE wrote:

Does the problem appear directly when the device is first turned on by electricity.... if the device has soldering issue?

yes, the problem appeared to me out of the box, just after a few seconds the power supply was attached, without connection to the computer

18 (edited by E885 2022-02-16 17:23:14)

joemusician wrote:

I think for this kind of problem it takes about a month, more or less..
Mine had bootloader message at end of January,  and it arrived in Germany on February 4th, still waiting (be aware that in my country RME itself gives report of the situation, not your local dealer, who's responsible for the shipping only).
I also live in Italy, and seeing 2 new interfaces sent in warranty from here makes me doubt if this lotto of unit had issues not properly checked..
Please note that in no way I want to doubt the quality of the product, it's one if not the best audio interface in the market from what I had the pleasure to check personally and not on video.. I'll buy other 100 times an RME interface if needed, I'm just talking as an annoyed customer from this issue (imagine if I was making a living with music..)
Sorry for the bad English, hope everything is clear

19 (edited by joemusician 2022-02-16 20:31:34)

Thanks, E885. I too am not deterred from still going with RME for my interface needs. However, as I did not want to take the chance of being without an interface for too long, I went ahead and purchased a Babyface Pro FS. Hopefully the UCX II issues are limited and quickly remedied for the owners. Maybe I'll upgrade to one in the future.

Thanks for your input!

20 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-02-16 21:34:14)

joemusician wrote:

Maybe I'll upgrade to one in the future.

hey Joe! isn't that BBF Pro FS an amazing little box?! I bought the Babyface first and then found about DuRec on the UCXII so I bought that a month after the BBF. I thought about returning the Babyface in order to justify the additional cost of the UCXII but I'm so glad I kept both. Just amazing gear and I would definitely encourage you to eventually pick up a UCXII when you have the chance. you will NOT be disappointed (once the bootloader issue gets resolved). I feel fortunate that my unit has not had this problem. Doubly fortunate that about a month after getting the UCXII, I see that the price has gone up $100 smile I knew that was coming especially with inflation going through the roof here in the US. I also had concerns that supply chain shortages would add long lead times to new product being available so...again, I feel very fortunate!

Cheers! And I hope all those who are going through the bootloader issue get it resolved quickly!

-Steve

purebits wrote:
ANAFREE wrote:

yes, the problem appeared to me out of the box, just after a few seconds the power supply was attached, without connection to the computer

Thank you Purebits for your detailed response

hi, everyone.
I bought an UCX II 6 weeks ago and today I got the same message while booting:

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected
FFFFFFFF

I contacted the retailer an they are getting in touch with RME support. I use this for my daily work and it is a shame is happening so often by what I can tell on this forum. I live in Colombia so I'm guessing it is going to be a pain the repair/exchange of the unit. Has any mor of you been able to solve this? is it maybe an software issue, I have noticed that the unit is recognized by Totalmix and the Fireface USB settings.

Hi everyone,

I bought an UCX II 3 months ago and today I got the same message as well:

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected

I contact the retailer but he's vannished. I bought it online back in China and I know this product has one year warranty. But there is no way I can send it back to Germany. I don't know the address and I don't know how long it's gonna take. This product is not cheap and someone asked over $500 to fix this issue. Now I don't know what should I do. Could someone give me some suggestion here please?

Contact our distributor in China, Synthax China. They should be able to help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by Vocalpoint 2022-10-28 17:49:54)

Well - add me to the bootloader crowd.

Went to turn off my UCX II (Purchased in Jan 2022) and after pressing the main dial (and holding) to turn it off - the screen froze on the "Press and Hold to Turn Off" message.

I powered my rack down and when the UCX II came back up - I am now getting the familiar message:

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected

I must say - for the amount of money spent on this device vs it's clearly poor design and manufacturing - this is a massive disappointment and my first ever feeling of regret supporting RME.

While I understand that any of modern device certainly does have the rare capability to fail - to see it happen with such regularity to this specific model is troubling. Hard to imagine how RME could allow such a wide swath of faulty devices to actually hit the retail channels AND charge what they are charging to purchase one.

At this price point AND failure level - RME should be sending me a pre-paid overnight box so I can FedEx this thing to Germany and get it repaired and back here by next week - but it looks like it may be months until I can get it back.

Luckily for me - I kept my trusty Multiface II and re-racked it this morning and I am back up and recording.

I will be holding back on my glowing reviews of these products from this point forward and I am very relieved that I am still inside my warranty period to get a ful refund and move on if need be.

VP

Just an update to this thread - I was able to get another new UCX-II very quickly from my local dealer and will be installing it this afternoon. This one has a serial number that is 30000+ greater than the serial on my previous unit from Jan 2022 - so fingers are crossed that I got one that has this hardware (soldiering) defect corrected.

Will post back once this new one is up and running.

Cheers!

VP

Add me to the list of UCX-II users having the same problem.
I get the following error message:

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected
FFFFFFFF

I've had my device since late last December. Unit worked great up until a week ago, now it's a $1500 paper weight.
Contacted Sweetwater Music, who I purchased the unit from, and was told to contact the US distributor for RME.
Hoping this problem gets resolved in a timely manner.

This is my first experience with RME products. It's disappointing, to say the least, that a device this expensive has had so many users experiencing this problem. QC was really lacking here.
I can't afford to have another $1500 unit as a backup, so it's back to using a lesser device for the time being.
Not happy.

This is a serious issue for me. I can't tour with the UCX II. I can't risk it to fail me on my job if I know that one day, it could simply not boot.

It's a real bummer that we don't have any idea if the issue is fixed on the most recent unit (most supposedly), and how to check if our unit is at risk.

29 (edited by dissent 2022-11-23 03:39:16)

I e-mailed the US distributor for RME last night about the issue with my unit.
This morning, I received a reply saying they'll take my defective unit and send me a new one.

So, I'm quite happy with RME's quick response and hassle-free process in resolving the problem.
Hopefully -- fingers-crossed -- the new unit won't have any issues.

I was told this issue has affected 0.5% of these units worldwide. Of course I can't verify this myself, and I'm aware these public comments by a number of users about their negative experiences can potentially make the problem appear more widespread than it actually is . . . . but for now I'm giving RME the benefit of the doubt.

I can sympathize with people that have had this issue. It's never a good time for something to stop working, let alone an expensive, professional audio interface. Having recorded live concert events for almost 20 years now, I've only had a hard drive failure once which, thankfully, only cost me the first half of the show. It sucks, but things break in this world sometimes. After that experience, I started using a backup method of recording. At one point, I was even just feeding a line-in of the overall performance into a small personal MP3 player/recorder. Something is better than nothing.

I'm not saying you should always have a backup....but....if something is that critical, you should always have a backup smile

As for RME quality, these are complex and very compact units with thousands of electrical connections, most of them much smaller than 1mm so there will ALWAYS be a very small percentage of workmanship issues (can't really call them defects because they passed initial inspection and test). These issues result in latent failures and are hard if not impossible to predict given all the variables from user to user. When you combine that unpredictability with the unexpected supply chain shortages from the last 2+ years, it makes for a difficult situation to correct.

The fact that it seems RME is producing enough units for more and more customers to be sent replacement units instead of waiting weeks for a unit to be repaired in house, shows that they have been moving quickly to respond to the problem. This does not surprise me because I've felt that RME has the highest regard for it's customers and pride in their products.

Again, I sympathize with anyone facing this issue but I think RME deserves some praise for the way they've handled it.

Just my 2 cents.

-Steve