Topic: Upsampling?

I'm using my ADI-2 Pro fs r be in basic mode as AD/DA with internal clock as master, sr 192 kHz. Main usage is my Primare NP5 mkII streamer and my TV, connected via Toslink switch. The other aplication is digitizing vinyl (192 kHz, 24 bit).
Now my Primare streamer has a setting to output its signal in 192 kHz or leave it as is.
My question, should I let the networkplayer do the upsampling or should I let the RME do this?
Regards,
Hans

Re: Upsampling?

geisha212 wrote:

... should I let the networkplayer do the upsampling or should I let the RME do this?

ADI-2 Pro‘s SRC is of high quality, so leave it as is.

Just make sure ADI-2’s SRC is switched on for SPDIF.

It is, thnx!

The filter in the dac at aprox 20khz you try to avoid by upsampling is also used in the upsampling itself for the same reason, To prevent aliasing. Chances are the filter in the dac is better then in the upsampling algo.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Why not simply use the native sample rate the streamer provides and avoid any resampling?

The simplest setup for this is (only one switching function needed) :

• Connect SPDIF to streamer and USB to computer.

• Mode : Dig.Thru, this will pass the SPDIF input to analog output as well. Sample rate is set from the source. Recording of the analog in is still possible via USB.

Then select:

• Clock set to Auto (will select the SPDIF input when a signal is present and set native sample rate).

• Clock set to Int (will force correct sample rate when recording via USB, sample rate is set by the computer).

Notes:

• You can record from USB at any time but data will only be correct when clock is set to Int so that the device can respond to the sample rate requested by USB. Auto will only be correct when sample rates are the same.

• Main output will be muted when sample rates differ.

To check what's going on, the State Overview panel is your friend ;-)