Topic: Apple Music Dolby Atmos problem

Hi there, I have an iPhone 13 pro max connected via lightning camera adapter to usb of my RME ADI 2 FS DAC and then on to Audeze LCD3 headphones.  Playing Dolby Atmos songs results in clicking noises constantly, like micro drop outs, but only when the iPhone is locked, if the phone is in use works fine. All Hi Res content is fine too, just Dolby Atmos.

First noticed on 15.2 and not fixed by 15.2.1 of iOS, most likely an Apple issue and I have reported it to them with the Apple Music bug reporter.  I remembered then though at around about the same time the problem started I also upgraded to the latest DAC firmware so maybe an RME issue?

It’s not all Atmos tracks either, some play fine.  The Weekend new album Dawn FM does it, the first track, starts happening around about the time the vocal kicks in, every time.

Just thought I’d put this out there, the fact an unlocked iPhone does not do the problem makes me pretty sure it’s iOS

All the best, and awesome DAC by the way, really pleased with my purchase smile

Re: Apple Music Dolby Atmos problem

This is from Google:

"Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Go to Settings. Tap Music. Under Audio, tap Dolby Atmos. Choose Automatic, Always On, or turn Dolby Atmos off"

Maybe you should turn Atmos off and see if that works.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

yeah I mean it's easy to workaround, just listen to the non Atmos versions of songs, point is it used to work fine, this only started happening last few weeks, unfortunately I updated iOS and DAC at the same time so unsure which is at fault

Dolby Atmos need hardware support to play, I do not think the RME dac can play that, I use Apple Music, I turn Atmos off, sound check off, EQ set to flat.

The only problem is Apple Music app sometimes stuck or crash ...

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Every stereo hardware can play Dolby Atmos. Decoding is done on the player side. This looks like an Apple bug, IMHO.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-14 10:07:57)

MC wrote:

Every stereo hardware can play Dolby Atmos. Decoding is done on the player side. This looks like an Apple bug, IMHO.

MC, I understand that, and suppose without decoding, a 2 channel should play without atmos effect, my Yamaha soundbar (no atmos decoding) does play stereo at Apple TV videos, but iOS bring hiccups to the DAC especially Apple Music, thats why I suggest to aviod it, that bug ruins the music, not the dac's fault.

Same as a RDS FM broadcast should not bring trouble to a non RDS reciever ....

hujolm7 wrote:

Hi there, I have an iPhone 13 pro max connected via lightning camera adapter to usb of my RME ADI 2 FS DAC and then on to Audeze LCD3 headphones.  Playing Dolby Atmos songs results in clicking noises constantly, like micro drop outs, but only when the iPhone is locked, if the phone is in use works fine. All Hi Res content is fine too, just Dolby Atmos.

First noticed on 15.2 and not fixed by 15.2.1 of iOS, most likely an Apple issue and I have reported it to them with the Apple Music bug reporter.  I remembered then though at around about the same time the problem started I also upgraded to the latest DAC firmware so maybe an RME issue?

It’s not all Atmos tracks either, some play fine.  The Weekend new album Dawn FM does it, the first track, starts happening around about the time the vocal kicks in, every time.

Just thought I’d put this out there, the fact an unlocked iPhone does not do the problem makes me pretty sure it’s iOS

Just found out the latest iOS is 15.2.1, updated ... see what happen next ... sometimes Apple will not announce their previous fault/bug fix .... RME is much better, when something goes wrong, they will tell you !

I am using an iPhone 12 Pro connected thru USB to ADI-2 DAC fs and I noticed the same problem days ago. Then I figured out it was because the Dolby setting was on with the iPhone. After I turned off it, the noises were gone.
I was also using Qobuz on my mobile and there was not the issue at all.
Hope this is of some help for you.
BR

hujolm7 wrote: