Topic: Digiface Dante random high latency

I am using the digiface dante to access my dante network on my ASUS N501VW notebook. I'm running Windows 10 version 19044.1466, with 0.9.747.0 driver and associate 45 firmware. sfc and dism both come back clean. I've disable onboard sound and shut down wifi as well.

I've been updating drivers etc in order to get stable real time but the madiface_net_64.sys is having spikes of high latency even without any ASIO app connected or pushing audio. Doesn't seem to matter if I have a WDM device configured in the MADIface Settings app or not.
I have MADIface Settings at 128 sample buffer size, but I've also tried 256 with no improvement.

Latency on madiface_net_64.sys peaks at 4 to 7 ms in short term runs... (LatencyMon app)

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Digiface Dante random high latency

So which process is peaking that high? Latency Mon tells you...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi - Thanks for your reply -

LatencyMon reports that madiface_net_64.sys (MADIface USB audio driver WDM) is peaking that high.

I just thoroughly uninstalled the RME drivers and re-installed them.
So I have:
   RME MADIface USB 0.9.747.0
   Windows Driver Package RME MADIface (12/08/2021 0.9.747.0)
   Windows Driver Package RME MADIfaceNET (12/21/2021 0.9.564.0)

I also just upgraded my NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M drivers to the 511.23 version but I'm about ready to disable that entirely as now I have wdf01000.sys peaking even higher than the madiface_net_64. I only want to run audio on this laptop anyway, but can't seem to get it to run smoothly.

I would remove the drivers again and only install the 0.9747 package. The net driver is not crucial for the DF Dante, for control you then not use the internal network port but an existing one where you plug/connect the DF Dante to. According to your report the issue would be gone then. Please try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I will try that but the network functionality is needed for my application.

After removing the NVIDIA device (disabled in the device manager) and uninstalling the Intel ME, I have a solid low latency functionality - until I plug in the DigiFace Dante. Right now wdf01000.sys and madiface_net_64.sys are the only problems (and only after I add the DigiFace Dante).

Thanks much for your kind assistance, its much appreciated.

rseaver wrote:

I will try that but the network functionality is needed for my application.

Are we taking about the same thing? Network=Dante= does not need the extended driver, unless you run out of ports. See manual:

The Digiface Dante is basically a USB audio interface. The Dante Controller software needs a network port to communicate with the Dante network. The standard solution would have been to plug a network cable from the computer's network port into one of the four ports of the Digiface Dante - which makes you loose two network ports!

Therefore the Digiface Dante also includes the functionality of a USB Ethernet adapter. After installing the additional network driver (which is done automatically by the driver packages) the computer's Device Manager will show a RME MADIface USB Ethernet device. This added device can be used directly for the Dante Controller. No cable needed, two network ports stay free.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello -
Yes, I was counting on using the built in networking feature of the RME Digiface Dante to run Dante Control for the network as well as control the MIDAS M32 mixer remotely. It works fine in this manner except for the issue with DPC latency.

I have worked extensively with the Windows Performance Recorder and Windows Performance Analyzer in order to determine exactly which drivers are causing the peaking latency issue.

To date, I have been able to run "realtime" without issue only by disabling the RME built in network adapter. I then discovered that even though I disabled processor throttling and disabling processor idling, if the laptop gets too hot I will have regular dropouts due to peaking of DPC latency in the USB driver. This ASUS N501VW laptop uses the Intel 100/C230 chipset for USB 3.0. As the laptop also supports Thunderbolt 3 and associated USB 3.1 independently from the USB 3.0 controller, I had hoped to improve the situation. There was a slight improvement, but I still can't run the RME network adapter, and I still run into heat derived throttling.

This is with the latest 0.9.566.0 network driver, FW 45 and the 0.9.747.0 audio driver, very latest USB drivers (even tried some modified drivers), careful to disable power management on the drivers, etc. While I can run Wifi adapter and control the mixer without affecting the realtime performance, I still can't keep the system cool enough to perform reliably.

I've had better luck with my workstation using a PCIeR Dante adapter from Focusrite, so I may well build a rack mount PC in order to overcome these obstacles for the mobile rig.

PS - I did try a separate ethernet networking adapter, with same issues as RME built in adapter. I also have an Ubuntu Studio installation but could not get ALSA to recognize the Digiface Dante.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.
Cheers
Robin