Topic: RME audio aio pro with Scarlett octopre

Hi, everybody

I bought an octopre for more entry. After having connected it well in optics on my RME. My aio still does not recognize adat, no frequency displayed (yet windows recognizes adat ports). Should we go in the total mix.
Did I forget something in the setting??
Thx really

Re: RME audio aio pro with Scarlett octopre

Yes you have to open Totalmix and look at the input channels.
If there is nothing then open the Fireface settings dialog and check the clock settings.
It it is set to internal then try the external clock source adat optical.
Also choose the same sample rate as you have selected at the front of the Octopre.
Choose 44.1 or 48 then you have all 8 channels available.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

A big thanx. Do I have to switch to the octopre clock??? That of the aio pro is better by default? .

4 (edited by waedi 2022-01-21 21:09:52)

Phalo_pantoja wrote:

A big thanx. Do I have to switch to the octopre clock??? That of the aio pro is better by default? .

There is no better clock, just good or wrong.
in this case the Octopre can not take clock from outside, so the AIO must be synced to the Octopre.
And that don't mean it loses it's own clock.
The AIO still has it's own superb clock it only shifts the timing to get in sync.

> There is no better clock, just good or wrong

?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> There is no better clock, just good or wrong

?

Should have written clocking.Sorry

7 (edited by ramses 2022-01-21 22:27:46)

No, this statement makes IMHO no sense.
Of course there are better and worse clocks.
The question is only whether its audible or critical for the setup.
If the octopre can not become clock slave (because of perhaps missing wc or digital inputs)
then you have to use it as clock master and
then its uncritical as you have a RME recording interface with steadyclock technology which eliminates clock jitter.

So it's simply not a correct statement to claim, that "there is no better clock just good or wrong".
It depends on the setup and whether you have devices like from RME with steadyclock which can act perfectly as clock slave even if the quality of the clock is bad.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Okay, I work on cubase. I have to configure something special or I leave internal clock? ..

2 Possibilities
1. use Scarlett Octopre as clock master, then AIO Pro learns clock through ADAT
2. buy the optional WCM module for the AIO Pro and a 75 ohm word clock cable and use Word clock.
Then AIO Pro is clock master and Scarlett learns the clock through Word Clock.
Termination needs to be enabled on the WC module.
It might be sufficient to simply plug the WC cable into the Scarlett Octopre.
If not, check it's manual whether there is an internal WC termination that can be enabled
or use a T connector with a 75 Ohm resistor.

This module wcm?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/rme_wcm_hdsp_9632.htm

Phalo_pantoja wrote:

This module wcm?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/rme_wcm_hdsp_9632.htm

Yes.

And 75 Ohm cable:
https://www.thomann.de/de/sommer_cable_ … ohm_5m.htm

And if needed:
https://www.thomann.de/de/damar_hagen_1_1353_2174_1.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_res … ms_bnc.htm

Big thx Ramses!

You're welcome wink Good luck with the implementation.

OK only 1 cable BNC for the out of my RME and for the in of my octopre.

Phalo_pantoja wrote:

OK only 1 cable BNC for the out of my RME and for the in of my octopre.

yes, choose a proper length for the WC cable between
- position of your PC and
- where your equipment is located.

Hi guys,

I received the wcm for my Aio pro purchased from Thomann.

I still have some questions
There are 2 versions of wcm
https://www.thomann.de/fr/rme_wcm_hdsp_ … AZEALw_wcB

And the https://www.musicstore.com/fr_FR/EUR/RM … aUEALw_wcB

I have the first.

Both are the same?

Does it really work on aio pro
I connected it well, I pressed the button behind, saw a yellow light but still no adat recognized in the dsp setting while I connected the BNC cable to my scarlett octopre !!.

Are there any special settings on the setting?

Another thing, the Scarlett only has one ADAT out... like the AIO!! the rm has only one adat input but for the SPDIF ...

In short, I swim in the mud
Thanks in advance. .

17 (edited by ramses 2022-01-26 21:18:57)

Sorry, but your description is incomprehensible.
Please make a drawing of how you have now exactly wired. And then please make a screenshot of the RME driver settings.

>
> Another thing, the Scarlett only has one ADAT out... like the AIO!!
>

What do you mean by that ? You want to connect the ADAT out's of both devices ?

Quote: “I swim in the mud”

Quote: “Sorry, but your description is incomprehensible.”

The movie linked below should hopefully clarify everything quite comprehensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cGc8Lczn5E

https://flic.kr/ps/3WPqSA

OK I start again

I received the wcm for my Aio  pro bought from Thomann
I still have a few questions : there are two versions of the wcm (link) and (link)

I’ve got the first one.
Does it work with Aio pro?

I plugged it properly, I press the button in the rear, I see a yellow light but still no adat recognized in the dsp setting while I plugged the bnc cable on my Scarlett octopre.
Is there any specific setting to be done?
Another thing: the Scarlett has only one adat out, … like the Aio!! The rme only has one adat input but for the Spdif….

I’m lost.
Thank in advance

21 (edited by ramses 2022-01-27 00:04:12)

Thanks for the screenshot of the settings dialog.

You can usually run two different protocols over a TOSLINK connection, either ADAT or SPDIF.
For a 8ch preamps SPDIF (2ch) makes no sense, so the Scarlett needs ADAT protocol to transfer 8ch at single speed.
You configured the other end UFX II wrongly for SPDIF protocol, this is the issue, you need to configure it for ADAT as well.
It can only work if both sides are set to ADAT protocol (8ch at single speed).

In the RME driver settings dialog for AIO Pro - under "SPDIF IN" - change optical to coaxial.

@CrispyChips: LOL .. you know Frank Zappa .. mud shark ? wink

Another thing : when I input sound (coming from the mixing table) in my sound card, the volume is now very loud whereas in my setting I’m still at +13db.
I never had this issue before.
When I pick +27db, the volume decreases and when I pick +4db, the volume is too loud

23 (edited by CrispyChips 2022-01-26 23:03:54)

With all due respect, try reading the instruction manual.

19. Digital Connections

19.1 ADAT

The ADAT optical I/O of the HDSPe AIO Pro is fully compatible to all ADAT equipped units. RME's unsurpassed Bitclock PLL prevents clicks and drop outs even in extreme varipitch operation, and guarantees a lightning fast, yet low jitter and sample accurate lock to the digital input signal. A usual TOSLINK cable is sufficient for connection.

ADAT In

Interface for a device sending an ADAT signal to the HDSPe AIO Pro. Carries the channels 1 to 8. When receiving a Double Speed signal this input carries the channels 1 to 4, at Quad Speed channels 1 and 2. Can also be used as SPDIF optical input.

ADAT Out

Interface for a device receiving an ADAT signal from the HDSPe AIO Pro. Transmits channels 1 to 8. When sending a Double Speed signal, this port carries channels 1 to 4, with Quad Speed channels 1 and 2. Can also be used as SPDIF optical output.

I’m unfamiliar with the RME PCIe cards but my reading is that the ADAT connections are dual purpose optical for ADAT and SPDIF.

Try connecting the Octapre out to the RME via ADAT out on the OctaPre to ADAT in on the RME and select RME as master clock.

Hopefully someone clever than me will validate this or correct it!

24 (edited by ramses 2022-01-27 10:03:33)

CrispyChips wrote:

Hopefully someone clever than me will validate this or correct it!

He got already the information, see post #21, I am pretty sure that this is the issue.
Therefore you see nothing in the input status.

If this is not the issue then it might be either defective TOSLINK cable or defective ADAT port at either sender or receiver.

I understand my problem.

Spdiff IN optical input doesn't work.
There is no red light.
This is the second time my RME aio pro in 3 months since my purchase. .

26 (edited by ramses 2022-01-27 10:07:40)

Pls repost a screenshot of driver settings window.
I want to check whether the port has been set from optical SPDIF to ADAT protocol.
I assume this is still the blocking issue / root cause here.

The proper operation of your ADAT port on the AIO Pro you can check by plugging it to ADAT IN and ADAT OUT port (plugging a loop).

Then check in the driver settings window under input status whether you see there lock or sync. If this doesn't work the cable might be faulty, then try another one.

Phalo_pantoja wrote:

I understand my problem.

I have doubts.

Phalo_pantoja wrote:

Spdiff IN optical input doesn't work. There is no red light.

The red light is only on the SPDIF (or ADAT) OUT!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME