Topic: How to decode Blu Ray & DVD Audio?

Guys how do I get the RME ADI 2 DAC to read & decode my blue Ray Audio or DVD Audio discs from my Oppo player? I have a coax cable running out of Oppo 105D player to DAC coax but when I play the discs the DAC is only reading 16 Bit, 48 kHZ instead of the 24/96 or 192 kHZ of the hi Rez draft discs? Help! Thanks

2 (edited by pompeg 2022-01-23 20:21:12)

Re: How to decode Blu Ray & DVD Audio?

This must be some limitation/setting on your Oppo player. Go to settings on the player.

andy2gold wrote:

Guys how do I get the RME ADI 2 DAC to read & decode my blue Ray Audio or DVD Audio discs from my Oppo player? I have a coax cable running out of Oppo 105D player to DAC coax but when I play the discs the DAC is only reading 16 Bit, 48 kHZ instead of the 24/96 or 192 kHZ of the hi Rez draft discs? Help! Thanks

From the manual page 66:

"Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the
coaxial/optical audio output, and the high resolution audio on DVD-Audio and Blu-ray discs will
be sent out at reduced resolution."

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP105/ … v1.1.2.pdf

4 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-23 23:18:23)

Andy,

Not sure if this your answer, but perhaps using this tool might help:

https://www.dvdae.com/

I've never ripped a Blu-Ray, but DVDAE can do it.  I've had the software in all of it's various revisions for years.  It does a nice job with DVD-A, so give it a whirl as the 30day Free Trial means there's nothing to lose.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

No when I first installed the DAC I could have sworn The DAC was reading it. I’m not trying to rip anything I’m just trying have the DAC read my King Crimson Blu ray Audio at the full 192 KHz instead of the 44.1 it’s reading now. Not interested in SACD I know it doesn’t unfold SACD completely…it should just do it automatically when you first put the disc in the Oppo

6 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-23 23:44:33)

andy2gold wrote:

No when I first installed the DAC I could have sworn The DAC was reading it. I’m not trying to rip anything I’m just trying have the DAC read my King Crimson Blu ray Audio at the full 192 KHz instead of the 44.1 it’s reading now. Not interested in SACD I know it doesn’t unfold SACD completely…it should just do it automatically when you first put the disc in the Oppo

The page I mentioned above has settings for max sample rate for SPDIF that you might try. There is also written a requirement there about minimum screen resolution for hi-res audio.

Muffin Thank you according to the manual I think I have to use the RCA connectors or HDMI cable  to get the High Rez read by the RME DAC

Actually that didn’t work either….so frustrating…despite what the Oppo book says I swear when I put one of the King Crimson Blu rays in the DAC read 192 kHZ which is the correct signal…ugh! Annoying thanks everyone for trying to help!

9 (edited by tubeaudio 2022-01-27 10:52:40)

andy2gold wrote:

Actually that didn’t work either….so frustrating…despite what the Oppo book says I swear when I put one of the King Crimson Blu rays in the DAC read 192 kHZ which is the correct signal…ugh! Annoying thanks everyone for trying to help!

You could check the setup options to make sure what kind of output it should generate. I remember there are some settings, I can't remember if it will help. I understood that we won't get more than 24/192 out of the coax and so it won't output DSD that way. But it seems it should output full res Bluray audio over S/PDIF. DSD output is available, but only over HDMI which doesn't help much since HDMI DACs are pretty rare and expensive.

I'd like to know if there is a good quality device that can strip DSD from HDMI since I have a few devices with raw DSD input. I searched and didn't find anything.

Another annoyance is they have SCMS on the S/PDIF stream! It's frustrating to have such a capable player that costs so much and see that function-wise, it's not even as good as Foobar2000...

I am also wondering how i can get highest quality (Sacd) dsd signal from my sony ubp x800 multiplayer  to my ( just bought it, great device !) Adi2 DAC.

The sony x800 has a second hdmi output and can sent dsd which is great.

Has anyone tried this device, will it work with the Adi2, or has anyone some  thoughts about it ?

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/interfac … 13419.html

From what i understand this device can fix the dsd handshake problem....

It would be great to play my SACD' s  with all the advantages of my New DAC !

Maybe there is another option to make this work ?

I am using raspberry / volumio and NAD C298 in my setup.