Topic: My first session using UCXII and Babyface Pro Fs

hello everyone!

I'm excited to have my first recording session this Saturday using my new RME interfaces. It's the first time in over 15 years I'll be recording to a laptop/computer, something I swore I would never do again back when hard drives were so slow! It was a live show and it took longer than the intermission to save all the multi track files! I'll never forget the conductor just standing there in silence with the whole orchestra and choir waiting for the first half files to finish saving. Thank goodness drives are faster now!

My question is about recording to my DAW software and DURec at the same time. From the UCXII manual:

The Fireface UCX II can record and playback up to 40 channels of audio via the DURec USB
port on the rear panel. This functionality is provided by the internal DSP and is therefore independent from a Windows or Mac computer connected via USB.

If I'm reading this correctly, I will be able to use the UCXII for both DAW recording and DURec simultaneously? My original idea was to use the Babyface Pro Fs with the DAW and lightpipe output to the UCXII using DURec as a backup. But it sounds like I may not need to (unless I want to use the BBF mic pres for additional channels).

Could someone confirm that for me? I have to say that I've only had the UCXII for a couple of days and I'm STILL losing sleep at night because I just want to sit in front of it and experiment with all of it's features!

Thanks all!

-Steve

Re: My first session using UCXII and Babyface Pro Fs

Hi Steve,

sbcrikey wrote:

I will be able to use the UCXII for both DAW recording and DURec simultaneously?

Yes, absolutely! DURec does not have any bearing on normal operation, it's meant to be used to capture a backup multitrack recording at the same time you use the unit with your DAW software.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: My first session using UCXII and Babyface Pro Fs

Thanks so much for the reply Jeff! I am currently sitting at home in front of my UCXII and recording to my software AND DURec and I can't stop smiling!!!

Have a great night!

-Steve