What is your max budget for that ?
The combination of RayDAT and Ferrofish Pulse 16MX is surely nice. It will definitively give you a great value for a not too high price. Possibly also nice for you as the Pulse 16 supports an equal number of inputs and outputs, if this is needed.
But if you do not intend to use MADI I would take the Ferrofish Pulse 16 without MADI which is €200 less expensive.
AFAIK the Ferrofish can be upgraded to MADI for exactly the same price (€200) if you need it.
At any later time you could even add an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to the AES port of the RayDAT to get all the very nice features of the ADI-2 Pro for your minitoring section and by this you would even get a SRC (Sample Rate Converter) converter into your setup, which can be useful when connecting devices with a fix clock and that are unable to be clock slave.
The question is, whether this combination gives you everything that you need and is kind of future proof.
Should you intend to record at double speed then the RayDAT would be full with the Ferrofish Pulse 16.
As the Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX also supports MADI you could also think of an extremely nice combination of UFX+ and Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX via MADI.
The advantage of the UFX+ is
- three possibilities to connect to a PC: USB3, Thunderbolt (external PCIe) and USB2 (without MADI)
- four excellent MIC preamps with 75 dB gain range, can be switched to act as INSTR input as well
- 8x analog I/O independend of any samplerate
- 2x ADAT I/O, ADAT2 switchable to support optical SPDIF
- 1x AES I/O
- 2x MIDI I/O
- Word Clock
- MADI optical and BNC (by using WC connector, switchable), also split mode possible 50:50 optical/bnc
- Standalone recording and fully operateable through the display or TM FX application with iPAD
- DURec - Direct USB recording to USB disk/ssd or pen drivers for standalone or backup recordings in addition to DAW
- AUTOSET - to quickly find a proper mic gain with -6dBFS headroom and for automatic gain reduction preventing overloads
- two excellent phones outputs
- ARC USB can be connected to a dedicated USB port at the back of the device (useful in stand-alone more)
The advantages of an ADI-2 Pro you can see here and in the 2nd blog article how to integrate it into your setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
MADI support 8+ devices on the MADI bus. The devices can be chained to a serial ring structure.
The MADI cable between each of the devices may be up to 2km long.
This supports even structured cabling in a house using OM3 or OM4 multimode cables.
So if you would plan to have different recording rooms in the future this would be much easiert possible with MADI,
because then you can place devices with mics/phones into every room more easily.
Just to give you a vision about the flexibility of a MADI based setup.
If you do not want to implement structured cabling, OM3/4 patch cables with the proper plugs at each end are available from 0.5m up to approx 50m which gives you a great flexibility.
I think something like a very flexible "dream setup" would be something like this.
I do not want to claim that it's ideal for you, but I wonly wanted to draw whats possible with RME.
Think about price and features and then narrow down, whether this or parts of it might make sense for you or use the RayDAT as a base:
- UFX+ €2799 (Thomann bundle with ARC USB)
- ARC USB included in the Thomann bundle, see above
- Ferrofish Pulse 16MX €1169
Base Price €3968
- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE €1689 (optional)
- Sonnet Allegro (USB3-4PM-E) € 55 (optional, if needed to isolate UFX+ on dedicated USB controller)
Optional components: €1744
TOTAL: €3968 + €1744 = €5712
PC or Laptop or stand-alone
| (USB3 or Thunderbolt)
UFX+---------AES/ADAT---> ADI-2 Pro FS R BE --->monitors/phones
| | | +--------USB----------> USB Stick (DURec)
| | +----------USB----------> ARC USB (alternatively: connect it to the PC)
| | (MADI, optical OM3/4)
| + Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX (for recording in single/double/quad speed)
Alternatively the RayDAT based solution
- RayDAT €585
- Ferrofish Pulse 16 €969
Base Price €1554
- RME WCM HDSP 9632 €109 (optional: Ferro can be clocked by ADAT)
- ARC USB €129 (optional, for more comfort)
- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE €1689 (optional)
Optional components: €1927
TOTAL: €1554 + €1927 = €3481
| +----------USB----------> ARC USB (alternatively: connect it to the PC)
RayDAT ----ADAT1-2 (or 1-4) ------- Pulse 16 --- Monitor / Phones
+------------AES----------------------- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE ---- Monitor / Phones
UFX+, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro21H2, Cub12Pro