Topic: ADI-2 DC protection & other amps?

So, the ADI-2 added an option for digital DC-protection not long ago and was curious about other manufacturers' amps, how do they deal with DC exactly? Are they in danger of breaking their headphones if DC is detected in a song or does a hardware-implemented DC-protection kick in on all those other amps?

Is the digital DC-protection just an added safety-mechanism to make sure your headphones don't get damaged?

Re: ADI-2 DC protection & other amps?

A lot of manufacturers just don't do anything. At the same time I also wonder how real the damage is. I mean: I'm aware how the principle works and no doubt damage could be done, but I wonder how many people have had to replace speakers/headphones already after damage because of DC. Would be really interesting to find out.

I've also read about some random users' headphones breaking on some amps and thought if it could be due to this reason or if it's something completely different.

4 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-28 09:19:56)

In the old days, recording by microphones, which might not capable of picking up very low frequecies, but nowaday, due to digital mixing/manipulation, bad things can happen, RME is clever to apply the Digital DC protection, i.e. play safe.

Some elder people told me that vintage tube amp can damage speakers at the warm up duration, but I do not own a tube amp, no experience at all ..... and do not know if it is a myth or fact.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Due to the unique processing options (especially raising bass by EQ and B) DC issues would be more severe in the DAC/Pro than the 'usual' DAC. Similarly a DC protection on hardware level becomes more important with very powerful phones outputs.

That said it doesn't matter if it usually works without or only rarely destroys phones. You want the best, right? You got it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-30 09:49:03)

eleweit wrote:

A lot of manufacturers just don't do anything.
I wonder how many people have had to replace speakers/headphones already after damage because of DC.

I had to replace a Sennheiser HD-800S driver that has been fried, literally, by DC.

Fortunately Sennheiser’s driver manufacturing is so astonishingly consistent that a single sided replacement ended up with two absolutely identical sides.

Not especially cheap, still.

The Sennheiser HD 800S is spec’ed with max. input of 0.5 W.
That is 12 V into it’s 300 Ohm - quite some.
Nevertheless it had been toasted, the Mylar diaphragm had melted, while the voice coil stayed intact.

KaiS wrote:

I had to replace a Sennheiser HD-800S driver that has been fried, literally, by DC.

That's unfortunate. Any particular piece of music this happened on?

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-30 16:01:44)

eleweit wrote:
KaiS wrote:

That's unfortunate. Any particular piece of music this happened on?

No, broken headphones amp, but not at my place.

Stuff like that can happen, electronic chips aren’t guaranteed for work forever, just in contrary manufacturers specify a certain failure rate per year.

Besides what can happen in software.

So it’s good to have a protection.