1 (edited by RME_fan 2022-02-08 23:41:24)

Topic: Power outages and their possible effects on RME ADI-2 Pro FS R and DAC

Let's discuss what could go wrong if a power outage happens right when one of these products is turned on. The way I see it there are some different situations that could lead to different concerns. I guess it would be best to get confirmed if any hardware or firmware damage could happen to the devices themselves, not just a connected computer or similar.

1. Direct into the wall or with power strip. Power outage causes a loss of current in the electrical grid. When power comes back a surge could travel to the mains outlet and that could be bad.

2. Surge protector. It protects against this situation.

3. Uninterruptible power supply. It protects against surges and will keep the power on properly if it's a double conversion online UPS with a pure sine wave (cheaper ones are not really a pure sine wave).

Which of these options is adequate and recommended to ensure safe use of the RME interfaces?

Re: Power outages and their possible effects on RME ADI-2 Pro FS R and DAC

I’d suggest a power strip with surge protection, for all your audio devices.
Doesn’t cost a fortune and really helps.

USV is overkill for private use IMO.

3 (edited by RME_fan 2023-01-20 11:43:23)

KaiS wrote:

That also has the additional benefit of preventing ground loop hum on some systems. I want to use a surge protector too.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-09 00:41:42)

RME_fan wrote:
KaiS wrote:

That also has the additional benefit of preventing ground loop hum on some systems..

Not just by using it randomly.

The strategy to minimize groung loops is, to minimize the area the loop covers:

• Plug all your power cables that use a 3-prong plugs into the same power strip.
2-pronged mains connectors don’t cause hum loops, so can be ignored.

• Run ALL interconnect cables INCLUDING the mains cables in one tight bundled string.
Fold back excess length into the bundle.
This might arise concern about hum straying from mains into audio cables, but usually this doesn’t happen with line level signals.

• Branches that end in a 2-pronged mains device with no further connection are immune against hum loops (there is no closed ground loop).