1 (edited by helmanfrow 2022-02-10 16:13:17)

Topic: Loopback = Give Up Input Channel?

I've watched every video and read all the manuals. I've trawled the forum.
One question I have remains unanswered.
Does enabling loopback in TotalMix negate the use of the same-numbered hardware input?
For example if on the BabyFace Pro I enable loopback on outputs 1/2, are the mic preamps now routed to oblivion?

Put another way, if I need to record all my hardware inputs to my DAW am I unable to simultaneously use loopback?

Section 23.6 (Page 67) in the BabyFace Pro FS manual says that the hardware inputs can still be routed to the DAW but I don't understand how.

2 (edited by helmanfrow 2022-02-10 16:18:28)

Re: Loopback = Give Up Input Channel?

Why does TotalMix not create dedicated virtual IO for loopback audio?

Further information here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ion-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by helmanfrow 2022-02-10 20:02:11)

Aha, so there's no way to record all hardware input channels at once and simultaneously use loopback.

Considering TotalMix is a software mixer this seems pretty silly to me. Would it not make more sense to implement loopback as a completely separate set of buses? Why interfere with the hardware inputs when you could simply add a new virtual input to the top row when loopback is selected?

helmanfrow wrote:

Aha, so there's no way to record all hardware input channels at once and simultaneously use loopback.

Of course it's possible, route audio from all/desired HW inputs to a HW output of your choice.

Submix mode, select the HW output, turn up the faders of HW inputs that you want to hear/have in this submix.
Then enable loopback on this HW output and you can record this submix from the corresponding HW input.
So if you routed audio to e.g. HW Output AN 3/4 (or whatever output which is still available)  then you can record this submix with HW Input AN 3/4.
If there is also something connected to HW input 3/4, this audio is not lost, you can route it to another output and then use loopback again to record it from the corresponding input.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by helmanfrow 2022-02-10 21:19:10)

ramses wrote:
helmanfrow wrote:

Of course it's possible, route audio from all/desired HW inputs to a HW output of your choice.

Submix mode, select the HW output, turn up the faders of HW inputs that you want to hear/have in this submix.
Then enable loopback on this HW output and you can record this submix from the corresponding HW input.
So if you routed audio to e.g. HW Output AN 3/4 (or whatever output which is still available)  then you can record this submix with HW Input AN 3/4.
If there is also something connected to HW input 3/4, this audio is not lost, you can route it to another output and then use loopback again to record it from the corresponding input.

I'm sorry, I don't understand how this is possible.
It seems to me that if I'm recording all twelve hardware inputs at once on a BabyFace Pro (Analog 1-4 and ADAT 1-8) then I have zero spare input channels available to receive the loopback.

In this scenario would you agree that loopback is not possible?

7 (edited by ramses 2022-02-10 22:42:10)

> In this scenario would you agree that loopback is not possible
Yes.

For what purpose you need loopback ?
You are recording the channels to DAW and can mix and master as you like.
Maybe you can even route in the DAW (instead of using loopback), only an idea without knowing what you require.

8 (edited by helmanfrow 2023-04-23 23:48:13)

ramses wrote:

>For what purpose you need loopback ?

Streaming a live multitrack recording over Skype or Twitch.

ramses wrote:

You are recording the channels to DAW and can mix and master as you like.
Maybe you can even route in the DAW (instead of using loopback), only an idea without knowing what you require.

Yes, of course there are many ways to get loopback going.
I would probably use a second 2-channel interface just for the stream audio.
I simply wanted to confirm that I correctly understood this aspect of TotalMix.

I still think it's strange that RME don't add virtual input and output channels for loopback. It is a DSP mixer, after all.