1 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-12 02:00:44)

Topic: How to prevent totamix effect 's reverb to be recorded in reaper

Hi everyone, my recording setup with zero latency monitoring at 64 samples  is nearly set. In reaper I want to record only my dry voice. While monitoring a mix of my dry voice + wet (totalmixfx reverb) + the instrumental track on wich I'm singing.

I have two concerns :

1) from what you see on my totalmix fx screenshot, Am I monitoring my dry voice + wet voice (the reverb), or only my wet voice ? I'm not sure.

2) In reaper I need to record my dry voice only, and it's not the case for now. I'm
recording the totalmixfx reverb (whether it's wet only or dry+wet, I'm not sure.

Here are my settings in totalmix fx : :https://i.ibb.co/cwq2qP5/reverb-enregistr-e-par-reaper.png

What can you tell form that screenshot ?
Please no spam with links to manuals or youtube tutorials, I need a concrete answer for my precise case.
Thanks a lot.

edit : I'm using a babyface old gen.

2 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-12 20:14:18)

Re: How to prevent totamix effect 's reverb to be recorded in reaper

going back from work and see there's no answer...

So Rme can't pay 2k€ someone that knows it all and answers during the day on a peaceful forum that has like ten or so posts a day?

I’m guessing you changed a default setting as mine doesn’t record reverb into Cubase. Take a look in settings (or read manual) as I’m sure there is a setting for this.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

1) You are monitoring both, your voice and the full reverb.
You have the reverb fully open, isn't it too much ?
How do you listen ? With a headphone ?
Is it possible you listen with a open headphone and your mic is picking up some reverb from the headphone ?
The main out is the only channel that has reverb, the Reaper input channel 1 has only your dry voice or whatever the mic is picking up.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-13 04:39:43)

Thanks Waedi,
Are you saying that the "Main" out is the only channel on which reverb can be applied? Or are you saying that in my screenshot the reverb is on the Main, and that therefore, to achieve my goal, I should instead apply (but how?) the reverb to another channel?

I'm monitoring with monitoring headphones, closed ones, no spill.

6 (edited by waedi 2022-02-13 15:31:24)

judelaw wrote:

Thanks Waedi,
Are you saying that the "Main" out is the only channel on which reverb can be applied? Or are you saying that in my screenshot the reverb is on the Main, and that therefore, to achieve my goal, I should instead apply (but how?) the reverb to another channel?

I'm monitoring with monitoring headphones, closed ones, no spill.

From your screenshot.
You have opened the FX return on the main-out only.
Therefor only there is the reverb going.
Your goal is to record the vocals dry and have some reverb for monitoring ?
Done. Your screenshot shows exactly that. Nothing to change. May you switch off the Talkback on the Phones output ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks smile

If Reaper is set to record the input signal directly (without any Loopback configured) in Totalmix somewhere, then there is no way the reverb will be recorded... It's not quite clear how you've set this up...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Why is there signal present on ADAT3/4? It looks like the same mono, panned left signal from AN1. Not sure what your monitoring scheme is but I'd look there too (ADAT3/4). I was recently listening to Spotify with some reverb and when I ducked the levels on the playback output, I noticed some seriously reverberant music. I had left the sends on a couple of channels up but the volume sliders were down near zero. It always pays to do some housekeeping once in a while smile

Best of luck!

-Steve