Topic: Aio pro expansion

Hello.

I have been using aio pro for 6 months and am really happy with the device. However, I need more i/o.

My goal is to record atleast 4 sources at once(preferably 5+). 2 can be line level inputs that I use now on aio pro. Other 2 inputs must have quality preamps.

- Rme website says AIO has 1i/o for adat, 1 i/o spdif and 1 i/o aes/ebu. I am new to digital audio formats and am wonsering what is the best way to expand on the aio pro? Will I be able to use adat and spdif simultaneously or parallel as I only see 1 optical in and 1 optical out.

Right now there is a 2nd hand babyface fs pro for sale nearby so I was thinking of buying it and connecting via adat.
-If I go this route, will I run into problems while routing between daw, aio pro and babyface fs? For example when simultaneously recording/monitoring on BF.

How I see this right now:

Recording setup:

mic->pre->aio pro xlr>daw

Guitar dry->bf pro fs->        |
Guitar wet L->bf pro fs->    |---->aio pro adat>daw
Guitar wet R->bf pro fs->    |

Mix/master setup:

Daw->aio pro xlr out->outboard/analog chain->aio pro xlr in->daw

-What device would be nice to add through aes/ebu to fully utilize on the aio pro i/o and enhance my mix/master workflow?

Thank you for taking your time to help me.

Re: Aio pro expansion

Hello!

rvdetk wrote:

Will I be able to use adat and spdif simultaneously or parallel as I only see 1 optical in and 1 optical out

You can use Optical ADAT and SPDIF co-axial(from the breakout cable) I/Os, simultaneously!
You could, also, use Optical I/Os as SPDIF, if you configure this in the Driver Settings!

rvdetk wrote:

-If I go this route, will I run into problems while routing between daw, aio pro and babyface fs? For example when simultaneously recording/monitoring on BF.

No, just keep in mind that you will have 2 TMFX windows open(one for each interface) for taking care of the routing!

rvdetk wrote:

-What device would be nice to add through aes/ebu to fully utilize on the aio pro i/o and enhance my mix/master workflow?

Perhaps, this: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html
I can't, even, begin to write all that it offers! smile

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

The ADI2 pro has no preamps.

If you are sure 6 inputs in total with 2 mic preamps are enough, then the babyface will be perfect, I love mine.
There is also no need to use your AIO when 4 ins are enough, since at least here, asio performance of the babyface usb is on par with my PCI hdsp9652.

You could also go for a pure adat expansion, meaning 8 preamps (and maybe outs too). They are available in many price ranges, ranging from a cheap Behringer ADA8200 to RME octamic and even much more expensive.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

rvdetk wrote:

Will I be able to use adat and spdif simultaneously or parallel as I only see 1 optical in and 1 optical out

You can use Optical ADAT and SPDIF co-axial(from the breakout cable) I/Os, simultaneously!
You could, also, use Optical I/Os as SPDIF, if you configure this in the Driver Settings!

rvdetk wrote:

No, just keep in mind that you will have 2 TMFX windows open(one for each interface) for taking care of the routing!

rvdetk wrote:

Perhaps, this: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html
I can't, even, begin to write all that it offers! smile

So I can use optical adat, coax spdif and xlr aes all 3 simultaneously?

I think adi pro would be overkill, but I see an adi-2 fs 2nd hand for a fair price nearby, migh consider it.

Remember it has no preamps, other then that it is very very good! But that is mainly on paper (specs), the difference to your AIO will be inaudible

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632