1 (edited by Sparkl 2022-02-15 20:58:33)

Topic: RME Fireface cooling solution

So, I just thought I'd share how I went about it.

So Firefaces tend to get quite hot after extended use and I always felt a bit uncomfortable with it in terms of temperatures and potential lifespan issues.

Especially when in smaller racks with limited space it can get particularly scary. So I grabbed 3x12cm PC fans (Corsair silent), strapped them in an array and soldered them to a 12v 1.5A DC power supply. I'm running them at 7.5v atm and they move PLENTY of air and are extremely quiet.

So if any of you guys feel concerned about the temperatures and safety of your precious RME interface, this was a hack that took me exactly 15 minutes to pull off. Now after 3 hours of uptime, the front of my UFX+ feels completely cool to the touch where it was almost uncomfortably hot before.

Here's a pic:

https://ibb.co/41Ds9cw

There's approximately 4cm of space behind the fans, so there's plenty of room for sucking air.

Re: RME Fireface cooling solution

Fantastic work, Sparkl! Thanks for sharing this. I plan on doing a similar thing with my UCXII although it probably doesn't get quite as hot as your UFX+!

I do the same with my vintage tube amplifiers...they ALWAYS have at least one cooling fan pointed at them. I just hang on to all the little power adapters/phone chargers that become orphans over the years and wire them up to quiet fans I get online smile

Thanks!

It kind of looks cheap and all, but it certainly does the trick. Last night ended with constant 10 hour usage and the front grill was still cool/slightly warm to the touch. A BIG improvement. smile

As for the tube stuff yeah I would agree, it is always nice to have some cooling going on.

4 (edited by kanefsky 2022-02-16 20:23:45)

https://www.acinfinity.com makes almost every kind of fan you can imagine for this purpose, whether it be rack-mounted fans (1U, 2U, 3U, front exhaust, rear exhaust, top exhaust), cabinet fans, fan units that rest within a stack of components, simple daisy-chainable USB-powered fans, etc. etc.  You can find most of their stuff on Amazon and they also sell direct.  They all run super quiet and have variable speed or can automatically adjust their speed based on a temperature sensor.

[no relationship with the company other than owning a bunch of their stuff]

thanks for the recommendation, kanefsky! looks like they have good products and decent pricing. They even sell submersible water pumps for fountains and fish tanks (which I also need!)

I'll check out some of their products smile

-Steve