Topic: HD600 Balanced mode / Overload / short detected

Hello,

I just bought the RME ADI 2 Pro FS R BE.

When I use my HD 600 headphone (balanced mode and lo power), after a while and at moderate level, I get an "Overload / short detected" detected. It switches off first the right channel and then the left channel.
I plan to send back my RME ADI 2 to the dealer for maintenance.

Am I right or is there something I missed in the set up of the RME ADI 2?
Should I do more tests and then which ones ?

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-17 10:30:39)

Re: HD600 Balanced mode / Overload / short detected

Very likely the ‘phone cable is miss-wired.
Look at manual page 44, your plugs should be TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) not just TR?!
TR would cause a short.
It’s unlikely that both channels of ADI-2 Pro are broken.

Anyway, ADI-2 is so powerful that single ended connection is still more than enough.
Remember, from single ended to balanced you gain 6 dB.
From Lo- to Hi-Power you gain 15 dB, and you’re still on Lo-Power.

Thank you for your quick answer.

I have the Cordial CFY 0,3 GPP (https://www.thomann.de/fr/cordial_cfy_03_gpp.htm ).
The first difference I can see from page 44 is that the male jacks are mono and not stereo. 
The red and blue wires are soldered together to one pin and the third wire (I guess the ground) is soldered to the other pin.
I can't say if it is fine or not.

Would you have any reference for a Y cable (6,3 mm jacks on both side) working fine with the RME ADI2 ?

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-17 11:57:12)

FH1504 wrote:

Thank you for your quick answer.

I have the Cordial CFY 0,3 GPP (https://www.thomann.de/fr/cordial_cfy_03_gpp.htm ).
The first difference I can see from page 44 is that the male jacks are mono and not stereo. 
The red and blue wires are soldered together to one pin and the third wire (I guess the ground) is soldered to the other pin.
I can't say if it is fine or not.

Would you have any reference for a Y cable (6,3 mm jacks on both side) working fine with the RME ADI2 ?

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/thumb600x600/pics/bdb/193906/9545509_800.jpg

This is as wrong as it can be:
• The male “mono” TS plugs cause a short.
• Your original single sided / unbalanced cable cannot be transferred into balanced with an adapter.

I’ve yet to see a readily available cable for ADI-2 balanced connection.
If you have a soldering iron DIY, that’s what I do.

Get an original Sennheiser cable, and 2 Neutrik TRS plugs, the original Neutriks are an easy soldering job even for a beginner.
Or let someone do it for you.

Or run the HD 600 single sided, anyway balanced improves on - nothing!
I’m just listening with my Sennheiser HD 650 at -50 dBr, loud enough for me!

That cable is not correct. For the HD 600 you should learn soldering wink

Buy this cable

https://www.thomann.de/fr/sennheiser_81 … zkabel.htm

then cut off the single TRS and solder two TRS according to the manual at the cable ends (the cable is separated L/R until the TRS). Takes just 5 minutes, saves tons of money.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, I was WAY off...!!
Thank you for your precious advice.
I might stick with the unbalanced mode for a while and maybe with the hi power output.
I am not equipped for soldering right now. And it has been 40 years since the last time I soldered something...;)

There should be some 4 pin xlr to 2xTRS adapters or something. Not everybody has the skill or confidence to do this. 30 cm of cable shouldnt limit the PRO´s full potential. Maybe RME could sell this..

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

There might be a solution somewhere. But it takes time to look for it.

9 (edited by rawac 2022-02-17 19:17:08)

Sennheiser HD600 (as far as i know all HD6**) is delivered with a 6.3 mm and 3.5 mm TRS plug. 600 with 3.5 mm plug and 6.3 mm adapter, 650/660 with 6.3 mm plug and 3.5 mm short adapter cable. Therefore any 2xTRS adapter (6.3 mm) to 4 pin XLR female wouldn't help FH1504 at all. On the aftersales market i don't know any cable Sennheiser HD6** to 4 pin XLR male, only to 5 pin Pentaconn (4.4 mm) or 2.5 mm TRRS plug.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MJD9L8M/
https://www.amazon.de/symmetrisch-Einkr … B097R56XWX

By the way: Pentaconn seems to be catching on for balanced headphones. A purchasable adapter cable 2 x TRS to Pentaconn female connector from RME would be nice, at least as long as RME does not integrate Pentaconn jacks directly. wink

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

rawac wrote:

Sennheiser HD600 (as far as i know all HD6**) is delivered with a 6.3 mm and 3.5 mm TRS plug. 600 with 3.5 mm plug and 6.3 mm adapter, 650/660 with 6.3 mm plug and 3.5 mm short adapter cable. Therefore any 2xTRS adapter (6.3 mm) to 4 pin XLR female wouldn't help FH1504 at all. On the aftersales market i don't know any cable Sennheiser HD6** to 4 pin XLR male, only to 5 pin Pentaconn (4.4 mm) or 2.5 mm TRRS plug.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MJD9L8M/
https://www.amazon.de/symmetrisch-Einkr … B097R56XWX

By the way: PentaConn seems to be catching on for balanced headphones. A purchasable adapter cable 2 x TRS to Pentaconn female connector from RME would be nice, at least as long as RME does not integrate Pentaconn jacks directly. wink

This makes me miss the eighties when we actually had standards for connectors. That pentacon reminds me of the surround sound TRRRRRRS meme big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Does balanced output change the voltage output of the ADI 2 Pro or does it only increase power?

I find the pentacton connections less reliable than XLR or 6.35mm.

12 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-18 13:54:33)

entertainme wrote:

Does balanced output change the voltage output of the ADI 2 Pro or does it only increase power?

As with every amplifier there‘s a connection between max. Voltage, max. Current, max. Power, and Load Impedance.
The fixed factor is the Impedance, say your connected headphones.

On manual page 90 there are two charts that contain all necessary information.
For balanced, double all the voltages shown in the 2nd chart.

To answer your question:

Balanced connection doubles the max. voltage to almost 20 V for high impedance (> 250 Ohms) headphones.
For lower impedance headphones the max. available current becomes the limiting factor.
Max. Power, above 2000 mW, can be delivered into ‘phones with an Impedance between 28 and 200 Ohms.

Remark:
There are very few headphones that need that much power.
Most ‘phones are toast (literally) when you hit them with more than 500 mW, so be warned!
Not to forget: high sound level permanently and irreversibly damages your ears.

entertainme wrote:

It doubles the voltage, in conjunction with an unchanged electrical impedance, this results in twice the current. Double voltage times double current means quadruple power. (exception: very low impedance, see chapter 34.18 Extreme Power Charts in the user manual)

entertainme wrote:

I find the pentacton connections less reliable than XLR or 6.35mm.

Agreed. I would also prefer 4 pin XLR. The 2 times 6.3 mm TSR solution is very unusual, DIY announced and, as read above, someone can very easily plug in something wrong.

But now, not only Sony, also Sennheiser, Astell & Kern, FIIO, ... uses Petaconn. T+A offers both, but with 5000 bucks for a headphone its easy to to so. Compared to the slender* 2.5 mm TRRS Plug the Pentaconn is very reliable. (*I 'm not sure whether English "slender" has the right negative facet, the German word "spiddelig" has).

KaiS was faster, i was thinking too much about slender. But to me the second chart seems to show the comparison between high and low power, not between single ended and balanced. The first shows the 6dB between single ended and balanced.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

rawac wrote:

But to me the second chart seems to show the comparison between high and low power, not between single ended and balanced. The first shows the 6dB between single ended and balanced.

As I wrote: double all the Voltages in page 90 chart 2 for balanced.

KaiS wrote:

... As I wrote: double all the Voltages in page 90 chart 2 for balanced.

Ah, I got it wrong.

Ralf

Thank you all for your advice.

Heard a rumor that HD650 cable is back in stock somewhere. I ordered two smile Does anybody know if the original cable has ordinary copper or that enameled stuff?