1 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-02-18 06:59:23)

Topic: [Solved] TotalMix FX Monitor refresh rate problem

Hi, I got new monitor yesterday. 165hz 2560x1440p and scaling in windows is on 125%. When I open TotalMix UI and close refresh rate drops on 60Hz for few seconds and get back to 165Hz. I tried on 100% scaling same thing. Any idea ?

Re: [Solved] TotalMix FX Monitor refresh rate problem

Not a known issue... More details about the setup, please...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-02-18 16:34:45)

MBO: Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master
MEM: 2x16GB G Skill TridentZ 3600Mhz
SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 Pro
GPU: MSI nVidia RTX 2080 Ti Trio
PSU: Seasonic Prime 850W Titanum
Monitor: Dell S2721DGFA connected via DisplayPort

4 (edited by mkok 2022-02-18 17:27:05)

That is odd but that is more a windows driver problem with either the monitor or graphics and not TotalMix

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Problem was solved by removing nvidia drivers with DDU uninstaller. And installing them again. Now everything is butter smooth again.

6 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-02-20 17:59:05)

It starts happening again this morning, really strange. But it's not only it TotalMix it's on few apps in windows as well, so it's clearly not TotalMix problem.

Tried on two same monitors, and two same graphics card.

Partially fixed.

If I turn Off AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, everything is working butter smooth. But when I turn off that option it turns off G-sync compatibility also, and when it's On (enabled) it starts doing that thing what I mentioned in previous post.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, do you have G-Sync set to "Enable for windowed and full screen mode"? If so, try setting it to "Enable for full screen mode" and rebooting.

9 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-02-23 06:56:01)

JustAnAvocado wrote:

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, do you have G-Sync set to "Enable for windowed and full screen mode"? If so, try setting it to "Enable for full screen mode" and rebooting.

I did manage to get it work now. And Yes something was up with that G-Sync option. I did put it in first "Enable for windowed and full screen mode" and restart, but on that option there is that problem, don't understand why. And now it's set to "Enable in full screen mode" and everything is working butter smooth for few days now.

10 (edited by kathampy 2022-02-23 07:11:42)

"Enable for windowed and full screen mode" actually reveals issues in desktop applications like TotalMix FX. When they block the UI or drop frames when rendering, the monitor refresh rate drops in sync if the application is the foreground window. Well designed applications should not drop frames, especially 2D desktop applications.

If so that might be caused by the internal level meter update control, which runs specific refresh rates to get smooth metering/release times display in the level meter bars. Good to know that a workaround exists in case someone else has that issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-02-24 20:37:25)

kathampy wrote:

"Enable for windowed and full screen mode" actually reveals issues in desktop applications like TotalMix FX. When they block the UI or drop frames when rendering, the monitor refresh rate drops in sync if the application is the foreground window. Well designed applications should not drop frames, especially 2D desktop applications.

In my case it was the other way, switching to "Enable full screen mode" fixed the issue. Not just in TotalMix but in other programs like various DAWs Cubase, Acid Pro... and classic mouse Razer software and other.

13 (edited by kathampy 2022-02-24 20:52:48)

Thermaltake wrote:
kathampy wrote:

In my case it was the other way, switching to "Enable full screen mode" fixed the issue. Not just in TotalMix but in other programs like various DAWs Cubase, Acid Pro... and classic mouse Razer software and other.

This is correct. Windowed mode will sync to the app's render rate. Many desktop apps with custom GUIs do not render at the monitor's native refresh rate, or experience lag and slowdown when performing operations. On a G-SYNC monitor this will affect the whole desktop including the mouse cursor frame rate. You get accurate timing with no judder, but a low frame rate.

In fullscreen mode, the desktop always runs at the monitor refresh rate, but individual app windows will have judder if they drop frames or use fixed refresh rates for animations.