1 (edited by hasan.ay386 2022-02-21 19:12:41)

Topic: ESS THD Compensation

can someone explain me the differences between the THD Compensation settings...
How should I theoretically set the values to get the best sound possible?
leave it at default or set it to maximum compensation?

And does it have any disadvantages when I change these values?

Re: ESS THD Compensation

For normal use, leave it as it is.
If you like to try, you can easily go back to normal afterwards.

Read here, manual page 28, 29:

14.1.5 Expert Settings

This menu only exists for ADI-2 DACs with an ESS DAC chip. It provides access to specific configuration parameters of the chip, such as THD compensation and fine adjustment of the output level. It is mainly intended for engineers and technicians. All settings are automatically stored in the device and automatically loaded when the menu is activated.

Enable Settings

OFF, ON. Default: OFF. When activated, the other setting options are displayed. OFF activates the factory settings.

THD Comp K2L (K2R, K3L, K3R)

The ESS allows the adjustment of a correction factor to reduce the second and third harmonic, i.e. a reduction of the harmonic distortion. The THD Compensation is adjustable in wide ranges, where 0 corresponds to the RME factory setting.
Very high values (10.0k) cause around -60 dB distortion (0.1%). It is therefore also possible to use K2 and K3 separately and intentionally as an effect. This can be quite instructive - when one notices that no difference between 0.1% and 0.0001% distortion is audible.

KaiS wrote:

For normal use, leave it as it is.
If you like to try, you can easily go back to normal afterwards.

Read here, manual page 28, 29:

14.1.5 Expert Settings

This menu only exists for ADI-2 DACs with an ESS DAC chip. It provides access to specific configuration parameters of the chip, such as THD compensation and fine adjustment of the output level. It is mainly intended for engineers and technicians. All settings are automatically stored in the device and automatically loaded when the menu is activated.

Enable Settings

OFF, ON. Default: OFF. When activated, the other setting options are displayed. OFF activates the factory settings.

THD Comp K2L (K2R, K3L, K3R)

The ESS allows the adjustment of a correction factor to reduce the second and third harmonic, i.e. a reduction of the harmonic distortion. The THD Compensation is adjustable in wide ranges, where 0 corresponds to the RME factory setting.
Very high values (10.0k) cause around -60 dB distortion (0.1%). It is therefore also possible to use K2 and K3 separately and intentionally as an effect. This can be quite instructive - when one notices that no difference between 0.1% and 0.0001% distortion is audible.

KaiS, can you tell us more about that THD Comp K2L (K2R, K3L, K3R) thing, and how and when we need it?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Thank you!
I have read the manual. But still do not understand what these values mean. For example: When the values are set to zero (RME factory settings), how high is the harmonic distortion? is it 0.0001% or 0.1%.And how does the THD change when I increase the compensation to maximum and does it also change something in the audio material that I play or does it only affect the device?

A graphical comparison in the manual would be very helpful. I hope that this will be added in the future.

Probably the lowest distortion is the factory setting?

From specification on product page:

THD @ 0 dBFS: < -120 dB, 0.0001 %
THD+N @ 0 dBFS: -116 dB, 0.00016 %

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Johannes AU wrote:

KaiS, can you tell us more about that THD Comp K2L (K2R, K3L, K3R) thing, and how and when we need it?

you need to have a notch filter and an ADC. Then you can measure the 2nd and 3rd THD. Adjust the value in runtime and you can get the lowest thd value.

In real world you can't hear the distortion from RME devices at all. So just leave the feature off and use the default values.

7 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-22 15:31:23)

hasan.ay386 wrote:

... When the values are set to zero (RME factory settings), how high is the harmonic distortion? is it 0.0001% or 0.1%.
... does it also change something in the audio material that I play or does it only affect the device?

The change works the same way like every other DSP function in ADI-2, e.g. an Equalizer setting:
It changes what you hear, not your stored files.

The manual suggests that “OFF” is factory specs.

My best guess is, that a compensation value of zero is not the minimum THD, else the parameter wouldn’t make sense.
Probably, with measuring tools one could squeeze out an even little better THD then the already extremly good value of 0.0001%.
That’s what the parameter is made for, but could be (miss-)used for the opposite.

No matter, have fun and just try it by ear, the manual states what’s my experience too:
”... no difference between 0.1% and 0.0001% distortion is audible.”