Topic: babyface 1st gen, how many inputs ?

Hi everyone!

I'm using a babyface (1st gen) with totalmix fx.

I'm confused about how many inputs I can use. The manual is vague about that.

Basically I need three inputs:
-One (mono) input for my dry voice (that will be recorded in reaper but won't be heard during recording)
-Two (mono) inputs that will be plugged to the two mono outputs of a reverb unit (the lexicon mx200). The sound coming in those two inputs will be routed to my hearphones, in order to be heard, for monitoring purposes.

So how many channels/inputs can you use at the same time on the babyface with totalmix fx ?
This is my question.
Thank you.

Re: babyface 1st gen, how many inputs ?

If you use the Instr input then the right mic/line channel input is no longer available. See block diagram on page 79. The unit has one stereo AD converter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Mr Carstens.

4 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-22 22:47:40)

Is there any possibility of using other software based reverb than the totalmix fx reverb without latency for monitoring purposes ?

It would be great if manufacturers actively advertised the limitations of their devices. You know nothing, absolutely nothing about a device if you don't know its limitations.

Marketing is a cancer. I'm almost sure there's a dedicated facility in hell to accommodate people who worked in marketing during their life.

I just don’t think people research what they are buying. It doesn’t take much to read the specs, read reviews and visit forums before buying.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

7 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-23 00:39:07)

It actually takes much, and it's painful. It's been seven months and I haven't managed to set a nice recording setup with monitoring.

With what I spent for nothing I could have had myself a nice trip somewhere. Consider also that I haven't produced anything during this time because I was fed up with the thing, all because greedy companies make crippled gear in order for you to buy, buy again, and buy more expensive.

I think utterly evil Google directs you to mostly positive reviews, also people on forums aren't as qualified to talk about gear as they were 20 years ago, mostly because with smartphones and laptops anyone has access to internet.

Also the manufacturer should the one announcing the limitations, NOWHERE did RME stated that the reverb on the Babyface and Totalmix FX is a toy at most. So your argument doesn't stand.

8 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-23 00:52:36)

Do you really think that if I posted on this forum before buying the babyface asking for a full list of limitations I would have got it? You're just being naïve.

And once again, I shouldn't even have to ask for it.

9 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-02-23 01:02:00)

Sorry to hear of your frustrations, judelaw.

I would not include RME in that generalization of greedy companies nor would I consider ANY of their gear crippled in any way. Why? Because they are an industry leader, not just in supporting their products for decades but also because of their extensive feature sets for each of their product categories. Case in point, over 20 years ago I purchased a Digi96 PST internal PCI card and it still works wonderfully in my ancient windows XP computer! Not only that, RME released driver updates well beyond the usefulness of that operating system, such that if I wanted I could have moved it to newer hardware and newer OS but my XP machine is still stable to this day for recording multitrack, albeit a little bit slower on the processing side. A greedy company doesn't design a product to last for decades. An INNOVATIVE company such as RME responds to what the industry needs and users want in a product and then decides to deliver something commensurate to their quality standards, at a price (in my opinion) that is very competitive when you think about the other options out there.

I understand your frustration but we, as consumers, are responsible for "doing our homework" when it comes to buying decisions. RME does an amazing job not just in advertising their products specifications but in providing numerous instructional videos and explanations about each of their products. What other company can you say that about AND provide such excellent support and FREE resources? Caveat emptor.

Another thought I just had: I've seen 1st gen Babyfaces selling on the used market for hundreds of dollars. In some cases $500 or more. Have you thought about going that route to upgrade to a product that is more in line with your needs? Have you had the unit for a while and are just now getting to using it? Or, did you just acquire it on the used market? I'll point out that there is a section for buying/selling used gear here on the forum too smile

I hope you're able to move past the limitations and get back to creating, which you clearly want to do. Regardless of which gear you use, having what you think is right for you is what matters.

Good luck my friend!

-Steve

judelaw wrote:

Also the manufacturer should the one announcing the limitations, NOWHERE did RME stated that the reverb on the Babyface and Totalmix FX is a toy at most.

Because it isn't. This is a mail I got two weeks ago from a studio owner after getting the UFX+ (which has the EXACT same FX as your Babyface):

-----------------

I have now bought a Fireface UFX+. Runs great and the singer is just happy about the reverb on the headphones. With the reverb you have actually managed something very nice, which is very inspiring for recording vocals. One feels very free in the room, but without a glitchy reverb tail.
I'll see if I can use it as an impulse response in Cubase later, because now the band would also like to hear in the mix what they had on their ears during the recording.

-----------------

We never claimed our FX to replace Lexicon or TC high quality ones, but what you constantly spit out here in the forum is unacceptable. If you continue to blame your missing skills on our hardware and software then this will end in a very forseeable way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-23 08:31:26)

Then you should have claimed your fx can't replace lexicon high quality ones. It should be written on the box, on the manual, and on the website. I'm not saying your gear is all bad, I'm saying you should shed light on its limitations. It's the only honest way.

I'm not sure it's my skills. I've seen a few negative remarks specifically about totalmix fx / babyface reverb like 3 or 4 remarks in different places. I'm not making a case for a trial here, so I didn't bother making a screenshot of these remarks. I can give you this one though because I've seen it today or yesterday :
https://i.ibb.co/GJrC0Rc/reverb.png
source : https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu … l-mix.html

When I see a few people saying the same thing I start to think there is something going on.

And to me my reaper's presets and lexicon's reverb are just fine, natural, they are not exceptional or supernatural. They're just nice. They've been making them for a long time and they don't cost much at all. My lexicon rack costs about 150 new if I remember. I suspect you're praising the lexicon reverb so that your totalmix reverb would fall in the category just under it, that is a "nice enough" reverb. Well the screenshot guy says it's questionable and I say I haven't yet managed to get a nice reverb out of totalmix fx.

It's important to have a nice reverb of yourself when singing.

TM FX has been updated two times since that review to improve its reverb quality and presets. And we definitely don't have to write on our box that a cheap audio interface does not include the same sounding reverb as dedicated, more expensive solutions. That is called common sense. That you now own a Lexicon that only costs 150 (whatever currency) is a sign of the times - everything gets cheaper and better. But try to use that Lexicon as audio interface. Works how? I see.

I am still mesmerized that you flood our forum with all this stuff - after buying a cheap second hand and technically outdated unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

euros.
The babyface first gen was 750$ when it came out, I'm not entirely sure the word "cheap" applies, and I still paid 320€ for it.
I can absolutely believe it's common sense for you or for a professional studio owner. It's not for me the average artist who is bombarded with positive reviews and marketing as soon as he looks for some insight about a product.

Again I'm not trying to make a case here, I'm not accusing you of being evil. I'm just saying that we live in a worldwide totalitarian dictatorship where only good things are allowed to be said and bad things are usually put under the rug. I'm merely suggesting that you should cope for that.

I think you will find lots of bad things written about all sorts of gear. RME doesn’t get a lot of bad press because the products are good. You bought something 2nd hand and are now moaning about it because it doesn’t do what you want. Did you think you were buying a Babyface pro fs which does have 4 inputs?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.