Topic: Feature Request: Pan Lock

We already have a volume lock, I see no reason to not also offer a "Pan Lock" option for the headphone outs.

Re: Feature Request: Pan Lock

That would serve a totally different purpose than Volume Lock, and would mean that it also makes sense to add Bass Lock, Treble Lock, PEQ Gain Lock, Input Trim Gain Lock and so on. Sorry, we won't do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Jperkins 2022-02-24 02:34:27)

MC wrote:

That would serve a totally different purpose than Volume Lock, and would mean that it also makes sense to add Bass Lock, Treble Lock, PEQ Gain Lock, Input Trim Gain Lock and so on. Sorry, we won't do that.

I disagree. The point of the lock is to make sure it's not accidentally changed.

With the EQ, there are already two fail safes:

1) Disabled
2) Setting everything totally flat

This means that even if you accidentally turn the EQ on, or adjust any part of the EQ, the other one still prevents it from doing anything.

I don't think pan lock is a ridiculous request. I can't think of a time I'd want to pan it anything other than center and locking it would be a nice feature.

Meanwhile this might help a bit, DAC Manual page 28:

Lock UI

OFF, Remote, Keys, Keys+Remote. Locks the keys on the device (Keys), the remote control (Remote) or both (Keys+Remote). Only VOLUME remains operable. To unlock, press and hold encoder 1.

KaiS wrote:

Meanwhile this might help a bit, DAC Manual page 28:

Lock UI

OFF, Remote, Keys, Keys+Remote. Locks the keys on the device (Keys), the remote control (Remote) or both (Keys+Remote). Only VOLUME remains operable. To unlock, press and hold encoder 1.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this and see if anything else I would normally do is restricted but really, it seems that volume is all I may need to adjust so it could work.

I'll try it in practice.

6 (edited by larst 2022-02-25 15:40:43)

I'll take this a step further and state that I can't remember a single time ever when I wanted to pan a stereo mix.

What I can remember is countless times when the stereo image seemed strange and I suddenly realize that the stereo pan been changed by accident in for example TotalMix (and I never know how it happend).

I don't expect this to ever change, but I'm pretty sure this function caused more trouble than it helped out (I'm not talking about RME products but the stereo balance/pan function in all products..), but as always, I might be wrong...

You are not wrong, but I would also expect an uproar when there would be no panner for stereo tracks. A lock would be nice, preferably per track, maybe a tickbox in the extended settings or eq view.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

The amount of times I anticipate wanting to pan the output or have it be anything other than center in the next 10 years would be ZERO. As I'm getting to know the UI of this device, I've already accidentally panned it from center a few times.

I don't think a pan lock was an unreasonable request.

Assuming that it makes the case for everything to have a lock was not a very well thought out comment in my opinion. I think volume and pan lock are equally important and actually, I would use the pan lock 100% of the time and volume lock never because I like to adjust the volume of the headphones as needed.

Adjusting the panning is good for troubleshooting at best. I wouldn't even care if there was no pan knob.

The amount of times I anticipate wanting to pan the output or have it be anything other than center in the next 10 years would be ZERO

Assuming 'pan' == 'balance' I personally use this every single day because my right ear is worse than my left so it's required to get a centered sound. That being said, I set this once and from then on it doesn't change anymore. Perhaps I'm used to the interface already but I don't really have problems with accidentally changing things.

Yes. Pan/Balance, same thing in my book. It would be nice to lock it wherever one prefers it to be set.

eleweit wrote:

Assuming 'pan' == 'balance' I personally use this every single day because my right ear is worse than my left so it's required to get a centered sound.

Didn't think about this, a very valid use case, obviosusly!

If u never use it, why would u accidentally adjust it? I dont see the point in this.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

13 (edited by Jperkins 2022-02-26 00:08:55)

Do you understand the definition of "accident"?

Never mind. I'll just go fuck myself. Sorry to bother everybody here. Instead of adding a balance/pan lock, please lock or delete this thread instead.

Jperkins wrote:

Do you understand the definition of "accident"?

Never mind. I'll just go fuck myself. Sorry to bother everybody here. Instead of adding a balance/pan lock, please lock or delete this thread instead.

Its no reason to "go fuck yourself". Personally I just think the request was kind of far fetched. Im a user of pan/balance as I often want to scew the soundimage to my listening position. It would be better to have an option there the device is loaded with a user defined default state(as opposed to last used settings) on startup. Preferably a switch in the Setups menu like: Always load this setup on startup ON/OFF/Save current setup. You could have safe volume, balance to center and whatnot.

You could accidentally hit the wrong button on the remote, but you would see on the screen that you are in the balance menu. On the device itself its hidden in the volume menu. Plus you have ears to tell if sound is wrong. Thats what I mean by "far fetched". Like the "problem to a solution".

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:

Im a user of pan/balance as I often want to scew the soundimage to my listening position. It would be better to have an option there the device is loaded with a user defined default state(as opposed to last used settings) on startup. Preferably a switch in the Setups menu like: Always load this setup on startup ON/OFF/Save current setup. You could have safe volume, balance to center and whatnot.

Your use case (or example) is easily met by saving your personal default state as SETUP, Remap this to any key you like, then hit this key one time after start - and you can be 100% sure nothing has changed...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Your use case (or example) is easily met by saving your personal default state as SETUP, Remap this to any key you like, then hit this key one time after start - and you can be 100% sure nothing has changed...

Setup 1: Headphone mode. Setup 2: Feet up! Beer drinking mode. wink