Topic: bit test files not recognised

First post here with a question: I'm trying to check possible transport drops with bit check files between Bluesound Node 2i and RME ADI-2 DAC FS. When I did this test via USB with computer or raspberry Pi in example - all works fine. I meant ADI-2 can recognise the files and tests are all passed.
Unfortunately with Node 2i via SPDIF coaxial and optical ADI-2 doesn't recognise the test files. I have tried with Roon server and Node 2i as Roon endpoint. Roon shows a bit perfect path.
Regarding the Manual this test should work over SPDIF as well - that's why I'm a little bit astonished.
Any advise what I'm doing wrong ?
Thanks!

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-25 18:34:34)

Re: bit test files not recognised

netizen wrote:

...When I did this test via USB with computer or raspberry Pi in example - all works fine. I meant ADI-2 can recognise the files and tests are all passed.
Unfortunately with Node 2i via SPDIF coaxial and optical ADI-2 doesn't recognise the test files.
... this test should work over SPDIF as well - ...
Any advise what I'm doing wrong ?

It does work over SPDIF, if the files reach ADI-2 completely unchanged.

Something in your SPDIF signal path is changing the signal.

Might be a volume setting different from exact 100%, a sample rate converter, a mixer that adds noise, ... etc.

To identify or exclude things like this is what BitTest is about.

3 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-26 04:37:49)

Netizen,

Thanks for using the RME BIT TEST Utility! 

It's a Powerful Tool, and as we might expect from anything RME, it is very Exacting in it's criteria for a successful test. (The Data received from the Source File MUST MATCH precisely an imbedded Template within the RME. Period!)

There are numerous Node 2 users here who seem to have no difficulties, so I think the solution to your Bit Test issues are really only a Mouse Click away.    As has already been stated, Bit Test is very intolerant of Sftwr/Streaming Device volume levels that are not set to 100%  Why?  This represents an alteration/truncation of the recieved Data, and as it no longer matches the source file exactly?  No good.

EQ, etc manipulations in the Data Path are also a guaranteed Fail.

So!  Review closely your Roon settings, as well as any Device Control settings to ensure that you are not inadvertently altering levels, etc.

You're almost there, and RME's Bit Test called it out!

How cool is that?

Best to you for a fine, and informative outcome!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

The problem was at Node side. I did reset all settings, after that I've made exactly the same configuration and ADI-2 now can recognise the test files via SPDIF. Perhaps it was a software issue of BluOS or something.

5 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-27 09:53:00)

Netizen,

That's Great News!  Thanks for the feedback!

Now, you can have full assurance that your RME is receiving an exact copy of that data stored in your computer without any mischevious goings on in the dark recesses of the background. wink

Going forward, you'll always have Bit Test to verify things, and preserve your confidence after any future configuration/hardware changes.  It only takes a moment to test.

Enjoy Listening!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes