Topic: UFX II input 9-12 suffer from low input levels

My UFX II's input 9-12 (Mic/Line on the front panel) need significant amounts of gain to reach a reasonable working level, no matter used as Mic or Line inputs. The Line inputs on the back panel are all fine.

I compared the Mic/Line input levels with my old UCX and the difference is huge.

The unit I got is an used one. Since I rarely use Mic inputs, the problem is only recently discovered.

UFX II Firmware: v22 / Driver: v3.221

Does anyone have encountered the same problem? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Re: UFX II input 9-12 suffer from low input levels

If you’re using TRS/TS connections, you need to switch on ‘Inst’ in TotalMix. For XLR it should be off, and driven with phantom power if required

unodos wrote:

If you’re using TRS/TS connections, you need to switch on ‘Inst’ in TotalMix. For XLR it should be off, and driven with phantom power if required

Thanks for the reply!

Isn't the "Inst" switch specifically for Hi-Z instruments like electric guitar/bass? Hardware synth with balanced outputs shouldn't need the "Inst" switch engaged I think.
No matter XLR or TRS, it's just different types of connectors. Both types can carry either Mic or Line level signals.

I mainly connect various hardware synths with my UFX, but the front panel inputs are not useable since I need to crank the gain all the way up. The ones (input 1-8) on the back are fine, I don't need to touch the gain at all to get a good level.

In the manual page 55 it mentions that the input is switched between XLR and TRS with the 'Inst' button, which will light up the 'TRS' light on the unit when on. On page 38 it also mentions that Hi-Z can be used with a range of equipment. If you switch to Inst you'll have a good level with a bit of gain

AD, Line In 1-8, rear, +4dBu
Microphone In 9-12, front, +18dBu
from RME website

unodos wrote:

In the manual page 55 it mentions that the input is switched between XLR and TRS with the 'Inst' button, which will light up the 'TRS' light on the unit when on. On page 38 it also mentions that Hi-Z can be used with a range of equipment. If you switch to Inst you'll have a good level with a bit of gain

I appreciate that! I just read the manual as you mentioned.
As a longtime UCX user I assume the "Inst" switch works the same as on UFX. Indeed, with "Inst" on, the Line level signals are fine now. Although the Mic Level is a lot lower than what I can get with UCX but with more gain it still works.

NientG wrote:

AD, Line In 1-8, rear, +4dBu
Microphone In 9-12, front, +18dBu
from RME website

Thanks for the info!