Topic: Software playback channel noise

Hi, first post here!
Owner of a UFX ii with ARC USB running Logic pro 10.5.1
I've had the interface almost a year but just picked up the ARC, and I don't know how it could be related but since I added the ARC, every so often my software playback channel will give me a horrible noise that could easily damage my ears and/or monitors. The meter is pegged all the way. Sometimes it's popping and white noise, and sometimes it's more like a digital sample feedback. I'm familiar with the concept of the white noise burst of death in Logic, but this has only happened for me while using the RME, and the output meter within logic pro is showing nothing, for whatever that's worth. It only shows in Totalmix software channel 1/2 and mutes when I mute the channel.
The sample rate is 44.1k in both Logic and Totalmix, but is it possible there are other buried settings I've been unable to find in order to sync the device properly? I've installed the latest available driver for the UFX ii.
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. I fully expect that this is some kind of newbie mistake on my part. I also apologize if this is the wrong forum, since I'm not sure whether the problem is software or hardware.
Otherwise I must say I'm absolutely loving the UFX and ARC setup. Incredible products that have transformed my workflow and the quality of my work.

Thanks!

2 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-03-10 16:49:54)

Re: Software playback channel noise

ryrydonegan wrote:

Hi, first post here!
Owner of a UFX ii with ARC USB running Logic pro 10.5.1
I've had the interface almost a year but just picked up the ARC, and I don't know how it could be related but since I added the ARC, every so often my software playback channel will give me a horrible noise that could easily damage my ears and/or monitors. The meter is pegged all the way. Sometimes it's popping and white noise, and sometimes it's more like a digital sample feedback. I'm familiar with the concept of the white noise burst of death in Logic, but this has only happened for me while using the RME, and the output meter within logic pro is showing nothing, for whatever that's worth. It only shows in Totalmix software channel 1/2 and mutes when I mute the channel.
The sample rate is 44.1k in both Logic and Totalmix, but is it possible there are other buried settings I've been unable to find in order to sync the device properly? I've installed the latest available driver for the UFX ii.
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. I fully expect that this is some kind of newbie mistake on my part. I also apologize if this is the wrong forum, since I'm not sure whether the problem is software or hardware.
Otherwise I must say I'm absolutely loving the UFX and ARC setup. Incredible products that have transformed my workflow and the quality of my work.

Thanks!

Sorry you're having this issue with random noise. That can be very alarming when you're not expecting it. Just curious, have you looked at your Fireface settings to confirm what sample rate it says there? It'll be in your tray and look like a red/orange flame. Not sure why nobody else has weighed in but it does sound like there's a sample rate setting issue between your hardware and software. Might be helpful to know also what OS, if you've disabled system sounds or if the UFXII is your only interface you're using.

The only time I've noticed any interruption to audio or random sounds is when I am using Digicheck and I change the channel used for monitoring or change it from input to playback. But even then, it's really only a momentary "tick" sound and nothing that even registers on any of the Totalmix meters. Do you use Digicheck? And, if so, what are your input settings there?

Just trying to brainstorm what could be causing your issue. Hopefully, with additional information, someone will be along soon to help get this resolved smile

-Steve

Re: Software playback channel noise

Thanks Steve!
I'm using OS Catalina 10.15.7 and I think it might be the latest OS compatible with my 2012 macbook pro retina.
I've checked that they're both running at 44.1k but thought maybe it could be jittering from the RME clock not being sync'd properly in Logic?? From everything I can see the settings are fine though.
I hadn't actually heard of Digicheck until you mentioned it. Excited to give it a spin!
The UFXii is the only interface I use.
Haven't disabled system sounds. Should I?

I don't know if I emphasized this enough in my previous post but I'm almost certain the problem is with Logic. It tends to happen the most when I'm using processor-hungry plugins and/or doing audio region edits during playback.

Is there any way to add a limiter to any of my playback or output channels just for safety?