Topic: Noise on Front Input Fireface UFX II

Hello Guys,

First off : I'm very Happy with my UFX II. I've been using it now for two years in my Studio and never had any problems !

However, yesterday I was recording some guide Bass tracks. So nothing fancy. I would pluck the Bass straight in Input 12 on the Front of the UFX, set it to Instrument Level and record. While setting the Level I noticed that the signal started to distort eventhough I had lots of headroom left on the preamp. So I did the following standard procedures:

Instr. level off - change cable - Instr. lvl on - Still distorting
Instr. level off - change Instrument- Instr. lvl on - Still distorting

At this point I figured it might be the Input itself so I switched to Input 11

In12 - Instr lvl off - unplug
In11 - plug in- Instr lvl on - no distortion

So, just to be sure I switched one more time back to IN12. Now I was 100% sure that there was something wrong with the Input. So I switched back to 11 BUT i forgot to turn Instr. level off on IN12. So as soon as I unplugged the cable there was a high frequency sound in the Monitors. I didn't measure at what frequency it was occuring, but it was definitely not supposed to be there.

I was wondering if somebody experienced anything similar. I am just realizing that there was Phantom power on channels 9 and 10 when I realized the distortion and the noise. I didn't think of turning it off.

Any help would be appriciated!

Cheers

Daniel

Re: Noise on Front Input Fireface UFX II

Hi,

I've just repaired a 802 dead front input. I opened a thread yesterday explaining the process. This article was kind of helpful before putting my hands on. It appears to be a similar case.