1 (edited by Juho2828 2022-03-23 17:01:02)

Topic: Bug report - madifaceusb.exe taskbar tray icon missing

I was recently wondering where the tray icon was for my RME 2 DAC FS as it used to be in the taskbar corner and I didn't find it there.
So I figured out that the exe that should be running is madifaceusb.exe and it was running, but not found in the corner.
Killing madifaceusb.exe and starting it again from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\madifaceusb.exe" got the tray icon back and possibility to change samplerate!

Exact Repro steps:

1. Ensure that tray icon is visible, Do the solution steps as first steps if not.
2. Open Task Manager
3. Restart "explorer.exe"
4. Notice that madifaceusb.exe is no longer to be found from taskbar

Solution:
5. Kill madifaceusb.exe from Task Manager
6. Open the tray program again from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\madifaceusb.exe" or some other location that exists on the computer for that exe.
7. Can be found from taskbar tray icons again

The step "3" happens so often in Windows 11, for example when putting TV on that is connected to windows pc triggers this.
Changing scaling of monitor in windows settings might trigger this.
KVM switching back from my macbook, makes the display visible to windows again and might trigger this.
So it's happening very frequently for me.
I had another program missing for the exact same reason so madifaceusb.exe is not the only one that doesn't handle this well!
Not sure if it's Windows 11 only either, likely not as 10 didn't do this automatic explorer.exe restarting to fix visual bugs.
So 3 didn't happen as often to cause the bug to be apparent.

Would be awesome if you could fix the app to properly re-register itself to the tray icons!
Thanks!

Re: Bug report - madifaceusb.exe taskbar tray icon missing

A reset of explorer.exe is absolutely rare and not triggered at all for most users EVER!

That said the reason madifaceusb.exe is missing after that 'partial reboot of Windows' is not a bug, but the simple fact that madifaceusb.exe is loaded via AutoStart/Autorun registry entries. A restart of explorer.exe does not include the AutoStart entries.

A workaround for you is to put a link to madifaceusb.exe on your desktop. But better use C:\Windows\System32\madifaceusb.exe.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME