1 (edited by joemusician 2022-03-27 03:08:49)

Topic: Is this a valid audio latency test?

My question involves the BabyFace Pro FS and Logic Pro X, though I imagine this applies to any interface and DAW. I'm trying to confirm the latency of audio during recording (not monitoring, which I do directly with 0 latency). Is the following a valid recording latency test?

1. I connect an XLR cable going from output 1 on the Babyface to input 1 on the Babyface.
2. I play an audio track routed to output 1, which then loops back in through input 1, and record that onto a separate track.
3. I then compare the 2 tracks for timing, zooming in to the sample level to see how they line up.

When I do this, I see no difference in timing between the two recordings. They are identical, down to the sample. I didn't expect them to be perfectly in sync, but they are, every time. I had posted earlier about having zero latency in recording audio and wanted to make sure my methodology was valid.

Thanks.

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s

Re: Is this a valid audio latency test?

You test full RTL, which also is not possible in a different way. And there is no 'zero latency' this way. The DAW adjusts the position of the record data so they match. That is done based on the latency information in the ASIO driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by joemusician 2022-03-27 17:29:52)

Ah. I see. I've read that not all drivers reliably report their info to the DAW, so it's great to know the RME driver does so perfectly with ASIO (or I guess in my case, Core Audio).

I wish the same were true for MIDI, but Logic apparently only provides a delay compensation to the sound of the MIDI output, not the placement of the actual notes on the timeline (as with audio). This can negatively impact quantization, but at least now I know I can use a parallel audio track as a 'zero latency' reference. (I know it's technically not zero latency, but I mean audio perfectly aligned to the performance.)

Thanks for the clarification - and the confirmation!

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s

I overlooked the 'Mac' in your footer, so it is not ASIO for you but our Core Audio driver, which as well includes latency information that the DAW will use. BTW, thanks for testing the new driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME