Topic: TotalMix FX 1.76: OSC freeze (bug report)

Hello,

I observe regular (almost) complete OSC service freeze.

TotalMix FX works with my OSC client program as desired, but after a while OSC stop working.
I have not found reproducible sequence, usually restarting my program or navigating
throw the program (sending sequences of OSC messages, I intensively use page switching
sequences to set required page, output and input/playback parameter page in one go) trigger
the bug relatively fast. Sometimes it just stop working after a while, even so I was not sending
anything.

Once frozen:
* selecting output is still possible, all other (tried) OSC commands are not working, no OSC feedback from TotalMix
* changing OSC settings (enabling/disabling, changing ports) has no effect
* it is not possible to exit TotalMix.

When device is disconnected after freeze and there was request to close TotalMix, TotalMix sends OSC feedback and exits.

TotalMix FX: 1.76
OS: Windows 10 20H2 (running in VirtualBox 6.1 under Ubuntu 18.04 host)
Device: RME Babyface Pro

I can provide my client if required (I don't want put public link till the bug is fixes).
The application is the new version of https://ask.audio/articles/azs-osc-help … interfaces and I don't have complains about previous version, but it was not sending bursts of page changes.

2 (edited by soundflix 2022-04-06 17:28:57)

Re: TotalMix FX 1.76: OSC freeze (bug report)

Hi azslow3,
I started to get TotalMix app crashes when I started switch to page 3 in my app.
I checked, the single commands all work fine.
Just when using sequences, after a (rather short) while, it crashes. I even tried to be nice and wait after each command etc., it didn't help.
My workaround is to use a second OSC controller, not very user-friendly.
I'm on Mac, hence maybe the difference of freezing to crashing. It seems to be an issue with paging.
I reported this as a bug to RME.

Re: TotalMix FX 1.76: OSC freeze (bug report)

Thanks for the comment. I was not switching to page 3 before freezes, in fact just working with page 1 but intensively switching by sequences (like /1, /1/busOutput 1., /1/solo/1 2.,  /1/busPlayback 1.). These sequences are working, but OSC is dead after a while (on TotalMix side).

While it is nice RME has implemented some OSC service, I think strict orientation on TouchOSC (only) was bad decision.
In other thread they worry about performance in case they allow everything without paging, but there are completely OSC controllable digital mixers (with service running on device).

I need the page 2 as well. But the only way I found to set what it controls is /setBankStart. Unfortunately the numbering is original channel based, unlike the rest of the interface which merge stereo channels. And the only place to get "stereo" is page 2, so I will need to visit page 2 for all channels (and channel types) initially, just to create the mapping to use in /setBankStart. That is not just bad decision, that is dirty. Why 2 OSC commands work with numbering different from the rest? 

I was thinking about using TotalMix Remote protocol (not documented... but it is just a protocol). Unfortunately remote can't run on the same computer (remote and TotalMix have to use the same UDP port, another strange decision), so that will not work for my purpose.

In general I am not happy with decisions RME took about external controlling. They have made a great move with OSC, but then moved toward proprietary protocol leaving OSC in half usable state, put strange limitation on proprietary protocol and decided to ignore Android devices.