Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS & Hifi Rose RS250?

I'm thinking of upgrading my current streamer (Bluesound Node) to the HiFi Rose RS250. I would like to bypass the DAC in the 250 and stream directly to my ADI-2. The literature for the 250 says that out to a DAC is done via USB, however the 250's USB is a USB 3 connection and the ADI-2 is USB 2. Does that mean no go? Thanks!

Jeff

2 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-04-06 12:35:36)

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS & Hifi Rose RS250?

jltbalt1 wrote:

I'm thinking of upgrading my current streamer (Bluesound Node) to the HiFi Rose RS250. I would like to bypass the DAC in the 250 and stream directly to my ADI-2. The literature for the 250 says that out to a DAC is done via USB, however the 250's USB is a USB 3 connection and the ADI-2 is USB 2. Does that mean no go? Thanks!

Jeff

No, it will work.

USB Audio IN:
Compatible with USB Audio Class 2.0, supporting USB Audio IN (Windows PC-ASIO drive support /MAC PC-Core Audio support / Linux PC-ALSA drive support)

USB Audio OUT:
Compatible with USB Audio Class 2.0, supporting USB Audio OUT(Various USB DAC can be connected)

In general: PreAmp Out (Unbalanced RCA) x 1, Optical Out x 1, COAX x 1, USB Audio Out x1,
Headphone Out x1

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

As above, with the added note that the USB3.0 connection is intended for connection to an external HDD, USB Memory Stick, etc.

$2500?    Eeesh.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Johannes AU wrote:
jltbalt1 wrote:

Jeff

No, it will work.

USB Audio IN:
Compatible with USB Audio Class 2.0, supporting USB Audio IN (Windows PC-ASIO drive support /MAC PC-Core Audio support / Linux PC-ALSA drive support)

USB Audio OUT:
Compatible with USB Audio Class 2.0, supporting USB Audio OUT(Various USB DAC can be connected)

In general: PreAmp Out (Unbalanced RCA) x 1, Optical Out x 1, COAX x 1, USB Audio Out x1,
Headphone Out x1

Thanks. Looks like the connectors are different. May have to investigate this. Maybe I can stream to the DAC via coax out. THanks again! Jeff

Curt962 wrote:

As above, with the added note that the USB3.0 connection is intended for connection to an external HDD, USB Memory Stick, etc.

$2500?    Eeesh.

Curt

Thanks. Just thinking about it. I'm also considering waiting for the update to the Lumin U! Mini, although I really don't care for the Lumin app. It works, but...

The USB out on the RS250 looks different than the one on the Node. WIll have to investigate different connections?

Jeff

jltbalt1 wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:
jltbalt1 wrote:

Jeff

No, it will work.

USB Audio IN:

USB Audio OUT:

Headphone Out x1

Thanks. Looks like the connectors are different. May have to investigate this. Maybe I can stream to the DAC via coax out. THanks again! Jeff

USB2 and USB3 looks a bit different, USB3 with more pins, but still accepts USB2 pins, don't worry....

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

7 (edited by Curt962 2022-04-06 14:37:44)

JT,

What does this device do that your Node didn't?

That you're already planning to "bypass" things suggests that you're paying a LOT of money for excess baggage in terms of "features" that you don't intend to use.   

If you need Analog Inputs?   Look at the ADI-2 DAC PRO. 

Sorry JT.  I can't cuddle up with a $75 Streamer in a $2500 box.   wink

Curt

8 (edited by jltbalt1 2022-04-06 17:35:15)

Curt962 wrote:

JT,

What does this device do that your Node didn't?

That you're already planning to "bypass" things suggests that you're paying a LOT of money for excess baggage in terms of "features" that you don't intend to use.   

If you need Analog Inputs?   Look at the ADI-2 DAC PRO. 

Sorry JT.  I can't cuddle up with a $75 Streamer in a $2500 box.   wink

Curt

OK...you're no a fan. I get it. The one thing I find all these audio forums have in common are people trashing equipment and products they don't like. No problem.....

9 (edited by Curt962 2022-04-06 19:15:26)

Jeff,

Good Sir, don't get me wrong.  It's no secret here that I like streamers!  There reaches a point however where I expect Heady Claims from the Mfr, to be supported by Substantive Lab Verification of such claims.   A morning of research into the Rose turned up little more than a LOT of advertising , Anecdotal comments, and more than One Data-Less "Reviews" with their Scotch-Fueled, Teary-Eyed Poetry that convinced me of nothing.

In my increasingly Pragmatic mind, what can any of us do to somehow expect MORE than a Bit-Perfect representation of a Digital File on our Computer?  Surely it seems that Rose has THAT matter covered...while Walking on Water, Turning Water into Wine, etc. wink

Lest we forget...We've seen here, more than one such Boutique Device that cannot pass Bit-Test, while a Bus-Load of less Well-Dressed devices routinely do so with ease. 

It's your choice Jeff.   

Best Regards,

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Jeff,

Good Sir, don't get me wrong.  It's no secret here that I like streamers!  There reaches a point however where I expect Heady Claims from the Mfr, to be supported by Substantive Lab Verification of such claims.   A morning of research into the Rose turned up little more than a LOT of advertising , Anecdotal comments, and more than One Data-Less "Reviews" with their Scotch-Fueled, Teary-Eyed Poetry that convinced me of nothing.
Curt

Ok...we're getting a bit off-topic here. My final point is that my initial question was simply about connectivity between the RS250 and my external DAC. That's all I was seeking. Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

Perhaps we are.  The data suggests that USB 3.0 has backward compatability with USB 2.0 built in, so as noted earlier by Johannes, that will work fine.

Curt