Topic: Digi AVB + AVB Tool + UFX+: Clock question

Hello,

I have recently acquired the following setup:
PC Windows Computer <-> Digiface AVB <-via Presonus SW5E Switch-> AVB Tool <-via Madi Coax.-> UFX+, which I had originally and am using now for more analog inputs and outputs.

I am trying to find out how I set up the clock connections between all 3 devices, so all are lock-synced?

Everything I tried had either the AVB stream or the Coax connection initial synced, but not really hard-locked so there are orange/red hiccups occuring, visibly in the AVB Tool Webinterface or the AVB Tool itself.

I am running the whole setup in 96khz mode.

Thank you for any suggestions, as I struggled for 2 days now.

Re: Digi AVB + AVB Tool + UFX+: Clock question

In the AVB network declare the AVB Tool Grandmaster. Then set the UFX+ to slave to the incoming MADI signal (in Settings dialog) and set its sample rate to 96 kHz.

Or: In the AVB network declare the DF AVB Grandmaster. Then set the UFX+ to slave to the incoming MADI signal (in Settings dialog) and set its sample rate to 96 kHz.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Max complained I had been not precise enough wink

- set DF AVB Clock to internal and sample rate to 96 kHz (in the AVB Controller from DF AVB)
- set AVB Tool Clock to ‘incoming stream 1’ and sample rate to 96k (can be done in the AVB Controller from DF AVB)
- connect a stream from DF AVB to AVB Tool
- set UFX+ to slave to the incoming MADI signal

or

- set DF AVB Clock to ‘incoming stream 1’ and sample rate to 96 kHz (in the AVB Controller from DF AVB)
- set AVB Tool Clock to internal and sample rate to 96k (can be done in the AVB Controller from DF AVB)
- connect a stream from AVB Tool to DF AVB (the other way round than before)
- set UFX+ to slave to the incoming MADI signal

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just mentioned that a "Grandmaster" (gPTP, IEEE 802.1AS, provides time in an AVB network) is not something that requires configuration, so the term may be a bit misleading when the problem at hand relates to the actual media clock (96 kHz, internal, clock master, sync, etc...) smile

Thanks, that worked great with AVB Tool being Master and after AVB Tool power disconnect and reboot (it would not stop flashing the AVB IN Streams orange on the webconf page for some reasons until after rebooting). Now everything is green.