1 (edited by ilbescio 2022-04-11 11:07:21)

Topic: Question on RME ADI 2 Pro double headphone out

Hello,

I am a truly and deeply happy owner of the ADI 2 FS. I use it in my personal room (studio) paired with a bluesound node (coax) and fully dedicated to headphones. This little box is amazing! Thank you for everything you put into it!!!

In the living room I have another system, mainly dedicated to speakers, which has a Yamaha WXC-50 and Marantz HD-DAC1. I do sometimes listen to music via headphone there with my wife, I do with marantz and wired and she does with bose QC35 via Yamaha -> bluetooth.

Last night I made the mistake to let her "taste" the wired headphone instead of the bose and she is now thrilled and wants to upgrade.

As I am so happy with the ADI2, I was wondering about upgrading my main room DAC from Marantz to ADI 2 PRO, particularly interested into the two headphones out it has in the front.

So, regarding the AD2 PRO, my questions are:
- Can I plug and listen to two headphones simultaneusly?
- If yes, are performance simiar to have one HP only playing?
- How about volume control? is that independent? Can be fine tuned via remote (I have couch 3 meters away from the rack)?

Thanks a lot in advance for your support, I hope that all the answer will be positive so I can proceed with the upgrade.
Daniel

2 (edited by ramses 2022-04-11 13:33:27)

Re: Question on RME ADI 2 Pro double headphone out

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes all is possible.
The Pro version has two DACs and you can use the two headphone outputs in parallel with individual settings, not only volume but also all other settings like dynamic loudness, PEQ, etc.

With the VOL key on the remote you can toggle between the two outputs (phones 1/2 and 3/4 in this case) and change the volume for each ouput individually.

Same is possible when using XLR output (1/2) and one headphone (3/4).
Then you can also configure whether both outputs should run in parallel or not.
Extremely nice, once you plug a headphone, then there is a ramp-up of volume so that you can recognise too high volume settings and either remove headphone from your head or turn the volume down early enough.
This ramp-up of volume also happens if you configure the ADI-2 Pro to switch between XLR (1/2) and phones (3/4). This function to switch between channels can also be mapped to one of the four keys in the front. I use this because I sit beside the ADI-2 DAC in my recording corner. There I need no remote but can nicely switch between listening through active monitors or to listen by headphones.

There is a lot of flexibility, which no other product offers, check out the manual.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Question on RME ADI 2 Pro double headphone out

WOW! I think I will soon be one of the few owners of two ADI 2 in the same house.

I will check out the manual indeed, being used with the ADI 2 standard it should be understandable.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply